Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News - 2023-24

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Hee hee, Dallas.
I think I'm going to cheer for the Golden Knights this post-season. First, because it means they would knock off Dallas, and if my old team is going to stab me through the heart and move, I'm going to stab them through the heart and cheer against them. Second, because if the Knights win two years in a row while gaming the cap system, pressure is going to mount for the NHL to close the loophole. I don't know if it'll be enough pressure, but I want them to feel it.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think I'm going to cheer for the Golden Knights this post-season. First, because it means they would knock off Dallas, and if my old team is going to stab me through the heart and move, I'm going to stab them through the heart and cheer against them. Second, because if the Knights win two years in a row while gaming the cap system, pressure is going to mount for the NHL to close the loophole. I don't know if it'll be enough pressure, but I want them to feel it.

The rules are the same for every team. Good GM's make the most out of them, bad GMs don't. I don't see any need to fix anything.

Nobody here would be complaining if MN had made the Playoffs and spent the $7m of Spurgeon's dead cap on players at the TDL and then Spurgeon was ready for G1 of the Playoffs. Fans would be saying that GMBG was doing good things as the GM by making the most out his available cap space.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The rules are the same for every team. Good GM's make the most out of them, bad GMs don't. I don't see any need to fix anything.

Nobody here would be complaining if MN had made the Playoffs and spent the $7m of Spurgeon's dead cap on players at the TDL and then Spurgeon was ready for G1 of the Playoffs. Fans would be saying that GMBG was doing good things as the GM by making the most out his available cap space.
It's a circumstantial benefit, not available for every team to use. It's also an extremely easy fix, so there is no reason why it couldn't be.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

I actually agree that GMs should use the rules as written to the best advantage they can. Where my concern lies is that the NHL has retroactively punished some franchises for doing so with past loopholes, while letting others get away with it. If they're going to do that, I'd rather there be no known loopholes.

Reactions: fgobuzz and MuckOG

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Oh, stop with the logic and get your Hate Hat on. It's hockey, dammit!

• Haha
Reactions: BagHead and MuckOG

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Mark Stone is the most valuable player in the nhl by double or more with the logic here

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I actually agree that GMs should use the rules as written to the best advantage they can. Where my concern lies is that the NHL has retroactively punished some franchises for doing so with past loopholes, while letting others get away with it. If they're going to do that, I'd rather there be no known loopholes.

Which team was specifically punished besides NJD? The potential was there for others sure, but outside of Luongo (who seemed to want to stick it to VAN), it was a rule that had no teeth due to easy workarounds with LTIR(etired). The NHL even changed the rules so the massive would cripple a team 1 year cap hit wouldn't happen. MN (Parise/Suter) and NSH (Weber) as the main beneficiaries of this change.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Mark Stone is the most valuable player in the nhl by double or more with the logic here

All Stone's injury did was get Mantha for VGK. Hertl was already on LTIR and could have missed the rest of the season instead of coming back the last 10 days. But sure he faked a spleen injury to make Vegas cap work out to be buyers in a grand conspiracy by the team and the NHL.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
All Stone's injury did was get Mantha for VGK. Hertl was already on LTIR and could have missed the rest of the season instead of coming back the last 10 days. But sure he faked a spleen injury to make Vegas cap work out to be buyers in a grand conspiracy by the team and the NHL.
I don't think anybody thinks that he faked the spleen injury.

Reactions: Sad People

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't think anybody thinks that he faked the spleen injury.

Then why do people have any issue with it? I mean other than it's a team other than MN doing it?

So what if he's ready G1 of the Playoffs? NHLers are dumb when it comes to playing though injury in the regular season. Come the postseason it only gets worse, and we hear about it after elimination what injuries players played though.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Then why do people have any issue with it? I mean other than it's a team other than MN doing it?

So what if he's ready G1 of the Playoffs? NHLers are dumb when it comes to playing though injury in the regular season. Come the postseason it only gets worse, and we hear about it after elimination what injuries players played though.
See my post #756.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
See my post #756.

The easy fix is have the cap run though the Playoffs. This is not really an easy fix. It's something that none of the owners, GMs, or NHLPA would want. It also lessens the quality of players in the Playoffs each season, so the fans suffer too.

Less players overall get traded for futures at the TDL. Less teams able to go shopping at the TDL means less demand and that will effect the "cost" of players. So the bad teams end up with less futures to try and become good. The good teams spend less assets and can maintain a better prospect pool and continue to stay good for longer.

Yes a few teams good teams benefit more than others due to circumstance, and that gets all the attention. Nobody looks at the bottom end teams that also gain from this. MN benefited from it 2 years ago when they had cap space to spare and traded that for picks as a 3rd party retention. Fans were mad this year that MN couldn't do that this year with Spurgeon's LTIR space as a 3rd party retention.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The easy fix is have the cap run though the Playoffs. This is not really an easy fix. It's something that none of the owners, GMs, or NHLPA would want. It also lessens the quality of players in the Playoffs each season, so the fans suffer too.

Less players overall get traded for futures at the TDL. Less teams able to go shopping at the TDL means less demand and that will effect the "cost" of players. So the bad teams end up with less futures to try and become good. The good teams spend less assets and can maintain a better prospect pool and continue to stay good for longer.

Yes a few teams good teams benefit more than others due to circumstance, and that gets all the attention. Nobody looks at the bottom end teams that also gain from this. MN benefited from it 2 years ago when they had cap space to spare and traded that for picks as a 3rd party retention. Fans were mad this year that MN couldn't do that this year with Spurgeon's LTIR space as a 3rd party retention.
Not the same issue.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Same player , 3 years in a row

What’s the in season cap hit on the roster that Vegas iced in game 1

That’s all we need to f***ing know

It’s cheating 100% plain and simple and anyone who doesn’t think so is ignorant

Wabit

May 23, 2016
On-ice lineups have to be cap compliant. Roster can be whatever they are.

Easy fix.

Again why would the NHL front office, owners, GMs, or players want this? This is where that type of fix happens.

Add in a LTIR(eired) Price or Weber type of contract at the TDL and be compliant that way. Then cheese the system even more the next season by putting them on LTIR before signing FA so they stay cap compliant for the next season.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Again why would the NHL front office, owners, GMs, or players want this? This is where that type of fix happens.

Add in a LTIR(eired) Price or Weber type of contract at the TDL and be compliant that way. Then cheese the system even more the next season by putting them on LTIR before signing FA so they stay cap compliant for the next season.
So an $82M payroll doesn't have to play a $92M payroll in the playoffs? I don't believe it's all that complicated.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Why should a team like Vegas be allowed a competitive advantage in the postseason because of an injury that occurred during the regular season? Is that really fair to Dallas who wasn't "fortunate" enough to have an injury-plagued player like Stone on their roster who somehow, miraculously, is healthy enough to play just in time for Game 1 of the post season?

I agree with Dr Jan Itor. The easiest solution is to require teams to ice a cap-compliant team. The roster can be over the cap, but the players for any given game have to be under the cap.

Reactions: Sad People

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad