Around The League LXXXIV - All Non-Playoff Talk Here

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Given Buffalo's whiney reaction to losing out on McDavid and now Babcock, I think it's clear Mike made the right call.

**** them.

They got Gilbert Perrault...we got Dale Tallon.

Putting it into perspective - that LEGIT hall of famer was able to short-track that team into respectability pretty fast. Us? We had to wait almost TWENTY fricken years until Quinn was hired.

Disagree.

The Leafs are at ground zero after a complete nuclear explosion. They are a really screwed organization. I also have no faith in Shanahan at the end of the day to be the guy to do this. Imagine for instance us gutting the scouting department as a clear message for change and left our head scout in Delorme as the only one to help rebuild the department. That's what the Leafs did but boy did they send a message.

Also, before we start talking about how the Leafs have it figured out, maybe we might want to see that in action. They have been a joke of a franchise for a long time and their changes are having yet to be seen results. Look at Gillis he was going to make us such a progressive, different organization and I don't think we really fully became that at all and he had mixed results to the point he was fired even after making the Stanley Cup final and two President's Trophies. The bar is a lot higher than the imagination of outsiders around the league.
That team is *bloody lucky* that the Blue Jackets management cheaped-out and didn't insure Horton's contract - else they'd be still stuck with the worst contract in the NHL (even worse than Luongo's) - David Clarkson.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
**** them.

They got Gilbert Perrault...we got Dale Tallon.

Putting it into perspective - that LEGIT hall of famer was able to short-track that team into respectability pretty fast. Us? We had to wait almost TWENTY fricken years until Quinn was hired.

That team is *bloody lucky* that the Blue Jackets management cheaped-out and didn't insure Horton's contract - else they'd be still stuck with the worst contract in the NHL (even worse than Luongo's) - David Clarkson.
I don't think they could insure his back.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Disagree.

The Leafs are at ground zero after a complete nuclear explosion. They are a really screwed organization. I also have no faith in Shanahan at the end of the day to be the guy to do this. Imagine for instance us gutting the scouting department as a clear message for change and left our head scout in Delorme as the only one to help rebuild the department. That's what the Leafs did but boy did they send a message.

Also, before we start talking about how the Leafs have it figured out, maybe we might want to see that in action. They have been a joke of a franchise for a long time and their changes are having yet to be seen results. Look at Gillis he was going to make us such a progressive, different organization and I don't think we really fully became that at all and he had mixed results to the point he was fired even after making the Stanley Cup final and two President's Trophies. The bar is a lot higher than the imagination of outsiders around the league.
But if Shanahan allows the smart people he hired to do their jobs and improve their team, what's the harm? Guys like Dubas and Hunter were at the top of their respective leagues when they were hired and Kelly McCrimmon is arguably the best GM in the Dub.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
But if Shanahan allows the smart people he hired to do their jobs and improve their team, what's the harm? Guys like Dubas and Hunter were at the top of their respective leagues when they were hired and Kelly McCrimmon is arguably the best GM in the Dub.

A lot of those guys should have a good insight into this years draft. TO is getting smart.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
I would like to see Toronto's and Edmonton's failure continue, but it does look like both teams have made bold moves to actually get better. I dont think Babcock makes the difference for Toronto, but combined with the decimation of the scouting department and the apparent reliance on analytics AGMs, they could turn the corner here soon.

I, for one, will miss watching them collapse in the middle of every year.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I would like to see Toronto's and Edmonton's failure continue, but it does look like both teams have made bold moves to actually get better. I dont think Babcock makes the difference for Toronto, but combined with the decimation of the scouting department and the apparent reliance on analytics AGMs, they could turn the corner here soon.

I, for one, will miss watching them collapse in the middle of every year.

Wants to see Edmonton fail.
Complains when they get 1st overall pick.

;)

snizzbone*

Disagree.

The Leafs are at ground zero after a complete nuclear explosion. They are a really screwed organization. I also have no faith in Shanahan at the end of the day to be the guy to do this. Imagine for instance us gutting the scouting department as a clear message for change and left our head scout in Delorme as the only one to help rebuild the department. That's what the Leafs did but boy did they send a message. .

Gutting our scouting department and giving Mark Hunter, one of the best talent evaluators in teh game, the department is not a bad move.. Especially when you look at our drafting history.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Gutting our scouting department and giving Mark Hunter, one of the best talent evaluators in teh game, the department is not a bad move.. Especially when you look at our drafting history.

Again, that remains to be seen. It's easy to be the best thing going with no NHL experience. Just ask Dallas Eakins or Dale Hunter!

Geez it must be so easy now to get the title of best hockey guy ever that you don't even need any chops in the NHL.

Anyway I digress. The main point is someone could come in and do that to our coaching staff and it would leave the biggest culprit of all in place. I am not saying this is necessarily the case, but I think it is not uncommon that it your scouting department is a mess the guy who is ultimately making the top level suggestions is probably a problem.

arsmaster*

Mark and Dale Hunter consistently graduate junior players to the NHL. They identify these kids at 14/15.

I'd say their ability to assess talented kids is a plus. Who cares if they're working for an NHL team or not, just look at the London Knights in the show right now.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
The Hunters are very good at identifying talent, but let's not discount their ability to convince young players to join the Knights. That team is a license to print money.

arsmaster*

The Hunters are very good at identifying talent, but let's not discount their ability to convince young players to join the Knights. That team is a license to print money.

Mitchell Marner is going to go top 10 in this draft, likely top5, they got him at the end of the 1st round in the OHL.

They know good hockey players when they see them.

They do a lot of convincing for sure, so does Kitchener and Windsor, but the Knights are an NHL factory. One of the best NHL producing junior programs in the world.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
Mitchell Marner is going to go top 10 in this draft, likely top5, they got him at the end of the 1st round in the OHL.

They know good hockey players when they see them.

They do a lot of convincing for sure, so does Kitchener and Windsor, but the Knights are an NHL factory. One of the best NHL producing junior programs in the world.

I think its part talent evaluation and part development program. They are a first class organization when it comes to fully developing the talent they identify. It is a case of having huge resources and using them correctly in all parts of the organization.

arsmaster*

DeBoer has always struck me as a veteran-reliant coach, and doesn't San Jose want a retool/rebuild?

It's hard to say.

I think he's going to make them play a more rigid style, which would probably suit the core they want to keep (Couture and Pavelski).

I think he's a good coach. Good x's and o's and as a former junior coach, should have a decent understanding of what it takes to coach younger players.

Had no issue giving Severson big minutes this season, but on the other hand, Adam Larsson blossomed the second they turfed deBoer.

I think it could be a good fit.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I can actually see Miller going to San Jose, if we're trading him.

I doubt it.

He's an older, more expensive lateral move (at best) from Niemi.

They're looking to re-tool and I'm sure they'll be hard after guys like Talbot, Lack, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad