Around the League--Dog Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Continue.

Sexual assault and went to the hospital and had a rape test done.

"UPDATE: According to an updated story in The Buffalo News, a local woman has accused Kane of a sexual assault.

The law enforcement sources said that the woman went to a hospital and that tests using a rape kit were performed.

Kane, 26, has a home in Hamburg. He has not been charged with any crime.

Per the story, the alleged incident happened last weekend."

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/n...f-police-investigation--report-160502314.html

So where's the suspension? We're waiting, NHL.

Captain Mittens*

First every dog had his day. Not they take the whole goddam summer.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Continue.

So where's the suspension? We're waiting, NHL.

Well it is August....so why would the league rush to announce a paid suspension and draw more attention to the issue, when the suspension doesn't have to be till the start of training camp.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah, Voynov was suspended upon arrest. That hasn't happened with Kane (yet) so there's that. But ouch either way. Rough summer for off-ice stuff for the NHL, have to imagine they'll take a long look at their discipline policies.

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
Total B.S. is all I can say about the whole fing NHL. Kane should have been immediately suspended prior to charges. The league simply can't use the whole "taking a stand" argument with one guy and then not continue to do so. Not defending VV's alleged actions at all but this is what I knew inside was going to happen. Voynov will be the ONE player who is held to such a high state of accountability and all else will be dealt with differently.

It is each players own damned fault that they get into this trouble but the league simply cannot pick and chose when it will apply its standards.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Total B.S. is all I can say about the whole fing NHL. Kane should have been immediately suspended prior to charges. The league simply can't use the whole "taking a stand" argument with one guy and then not continue to do so. Not defending VV's alleged actions at all but this is what I knew inside was going to happen. Voynov will be the ONE player who is held to such a high state of accountability and all else will be dealt with differently.

It is each players own damned fault that they get into this trouble but the league simply cannot pick and chose when it will apply its standards.

suspended from what? there is nothing to suspend him from till team based training.

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
No, they're not.

And Voynov was suspended immediately after being arrested. Kane has not been arrested yet.

Unless this last CBA changed things players in the NHL are paid throughout the offseason. I am certain that is how it used to be, could have changed. This is also Kanes 2nd legal troubles in his young career. He also committed his crime in Hamburg and not in Los Angeles. I can be wrong on the players not being paid during the offseason, it could have changed but rather or not Kane has been arrested means nothing to me nor should it to the NHL. There was a massive rush to judgement in Voynovs situation and that is the precedent that the NHL set. They suspended Voynov prior charges being filed. They should act in the exact same manner with all infractions. It isn't just Kane, it's RoR and his DUI/Hit and Run/Willful destruction of private property nonsense as well. Sorry, it has been reported that the crime took place in Evans and not in Hamburg.

Asheru

Jun 28, 2011
Voynov's suspension happened after he was arrested and when the NHL had a pile of evidence to look at in the police report, including photos of his wife's injuries and testimony about what she said at the hospital. Let's not get confused here.

I remember reporters asking Sutter if he thought the suspension was appropriate, and he replied that it absolutely was. The NHL knew more than the public did about the nature of the evidence behind the charges. Consider both Voynov and the league both very lucky the photos of those injuries haven't been leaked.

In the Varlamov case (where he arrested but not charged), there was not as much evidence. In Doughty's case, he wasn't arrested, and there wasn't evidence that he did anything. So there too, the level of evidence was different.

Voynov's suspension did not in any way set a precedent that the NHL would immediately suspend any player suspected of a crime the moment it happened. They knew a lot more about what the police had on Voynov than we did at the time.

This is very early in the Kane investigation. Let it play out.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I know the girl, I've known this happened since Sunday morning but thought Kane wouldn't have let it get to light. FWIW: I don't think Kane did it.

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
Voynov's suspension happened after he was arrested and when the NHL had a pile of evidence to look at in the police report, including photos of his wife's injuries and testimony about what she said at the hospital. Let's not get confused here.

I remember reporters asking Sutter if he thought the suspension was appropriate, and he replied that it absolutely was. The NHL knew more than the public did about the nature of the evidence behind the charges. Consider both Voynov and the league both very lucky the photos of those injuries haven't been leaked.

In the Varlamov case (where he arrested but not charged), there was not as much evidence. In Doughty's case, he wasn't arrested, and there wasn't evidence that he did anything. So there too, the level of evidence was different.

Voynov's suspension did not in any way set a precedent that the NHL would immediately suspend any player suspected of a crime the moment it happened. They knew a lot more about what the police had on Voynov than we did at the time.

This is very early in the Kane investigation. Let it play out.

The same amount/kind of evidence has been gathered in the Kane case. A rape kit has been completed and statements have been taken. That is what happened in Voynovs situation. As to Sutter's responses they were in line with what the org said.

As for VV's case setting precedent it absolutely did. A player was accused of a crime and prior to being charged with anything was immediately suspended. In RoR's case a player was arrested for having committed DUI/Fleeing the scene of an accident and willful destruction of public property. The fleeing the scene of a crime/accident bring the potential of a felony. The league has yet to do anything about it. A precedent was set but that doesn't mean it will be followed. I mean Healtey killed another NHL player through his actions and he didn't even have to serve his punishment. The NHL is garbage.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Tim Graham ‏@ByTimGraham · 1m1 minute ago
From @TheBuffaloNews law-enforcement source: Roseanne Johnson, Erie Cnty DA Special Victims Bureau, is prosecutor assigned to Kane case

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Also it didn't happen at a bar in Evans, like reported. "It" (whatever that may be) started at a bar in downtown Buffalo.

I understand you don't force yourself on after they say no (clearly). But man, what do these girls think professional hockey players are bringing them home for? Cuddling?

gnarls barkley

Mar 16, 2015
Chicago
Also it didn't happen at a bar in Evans, like reported. "It" (whatever that may be) started at a bar in downtown Buffalo.

I understand you don't force yourself on after they say no (clearly). But man, what do these girls think professional hockey players are bringing them home for? Cuddling?

sounds like the details are going to be real murky on this...could be pretty drawn out

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI

The parallel you should be drawing is with Doughty. At least until Kane is charged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad