Around the League 43: Playoff Time- Goodbye Buffalo, Goodbye Yzerplan. And Goodbye Yotes, Welcome Utah.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Rod stated directly that there was one incident where the players were annoyed and it made it to RF who addressed it directly with Peters. Everyone was satisfied with the outcome, including Rod. This was all discussed ad nauseam when the Peters situation blew up. It was a player that was kicked in the butt on the bench I believe? Pesce? I don’t recall anyone ever saying anything about a player being punched?
The player was His Iceness. And that one was a kick rather than a punch, though if he punched a player as well I can believe it, and I don't mean the Lavi knocking on a guys helmet in Philly type situation either.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Just went to the Rags board. Lol. Apparently, they are a much better team than 2022 and we are a worse team than 2022. Did they forget they played our backup goalie and it took them 7 games lol. Anyways, we can (hopefully) worry about that after tonight.
They are a better team but so are we in all aspects (Pesce loss hurts though). Should be a great series presuming we get there......need a win tonight to get reasonable rest.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Just went to the Rags board. Lol. Apparently, they are a much better team than 2022 and we are a worse team than 2022. Did they forget they played our backup goalie and it took them 7 games lol. Anyways, we can (hopefully) worry about that after tonight.
I think the only place you can make an argument that we're worse than 22 is in the #2 C spot with Tro vs KK/Kuzy, and Kuzy has the pure skill to negate that difference (see game 1 vs Isles). Pesce's injury also hurts but who knows how long he's out for, depending on the severity of the knee injury.

1st line is MUCH better, 4th line is better, defense is deeper even factoring in the Pesce injury. TDA was our #4 at the time, legitimately. Now he's our #7, legitimately. Chatfield is miles ahead of Brendan Smith, Orlov is in a completely different stratosphere compared to Ian Cole, and we added Brent Burns. Rookie Seth Jarvis in that series compared to now, no Freddy. I can only hope the Rangers team is thinking that way about our team this time because they're in for a VERY rude awakening if that's the attitude the players have as well.

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Ron Francis’ teams have stunk, and will stink until he finds either a scout/coach/executive who can find or develop a goalie.

Seattles GSAA is -57 in 3 seasons. Thats pure insanity. I’m too lazy to look up his years in Carolina but I cant imagine those numbers looked good.
So I looked up his 4 years in Carolina and it was -100. So in seven full seasons -157 goals saves above expected. Is that bad luck, or bad management?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
seattle wasnt supposed to be good last year but they shot well above expected and it carried. This year all that luck was returned and they performed as they should.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
So I looked up his 4 years in Carolina and it was -100. So in seven full seasons -157 goals saves above expected. Is that bad luck, or bad management?
In terms of the Cam Ward he inherited? Bad luck - Ward had been run into the ground as a goalie on a huge contract that Karmanos was never going to authorize buying out. The only 2 backups JR ever brought in that were worth a shit were Legace (and that was an emergency due to Ward's injuries) and Khudobin, who was something of a one-year wonder here before becoming decidedly meh.

In terms of his solutions? Bad management and worse scouting. Lack was entirely a product of a very strong Vancouver team, and Darling... I don't know what the scouts were telling him on that one but that was the biggest miss I've ever seen on a goalie. Some of that was all Darling (falling off the wagon the second he got away from his support system) but even THAT side of things should have been spotted in scouting before we made the trade. I still don't know how his contract wasn't instantly terminated when he came into camp THAT out of shape his first year, and it likely could have been done for cause meaning we wouldn't have been on the books for a damn penny.

edit: ironically the goalie scouting on the amateur side was actually pretty good under Francis's tenure. Ned in the 2nd round and Makiniemi in the 4th were both solid, and Ned would likely still be playing here under a Francis regime. Even Helvig was looking pretty good before, you know, the whole he's a total piece of shit thing happened.

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
In terms of the Cam Ward he inherited? Bad luck - Ward had been run into the ground as a goalie on a huge contract that Karmanos was never going to authorize buying out. The only 2 backups JR ever brought in that were worth a shit were Legace (and that was an emergency due to Ward's injuries) and Khudobin, who was something of a one-year wonder here before becoming decidedly meh.

In terms of his solutions? Bad management and worse scouting. Lack was entirely a product of a very strong Vancouver team, and Darling... I don't know what the scouts were telling him on that one but that was the biggest miss I've ever seen on a goalie. Some of that was all Darling (falling off the wagon the second he got away from his support system) but even THAT side of things should have been spotted in scouting before we made the trade. I still don't know how his contract wasn't instantly terminated when he came into camp THAT out of shape his first year, and it likely could have been done for cause meaning we wouldn't have been on the books for a damn penny.
The Cam Ward he inherited had 1 year left on his albatross contract. Francis re-signed him twice for reasonable money, but that was his choice.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The Cam Ward he inherited had 1 year left on his albatross contract. Francis re-signed him twice for reasonable money, but that was his choice.
In that case definitely a poor decision not to move on. And worse scouting because in that case we're right back to Lack and Darling being... well, Lack and Darling.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
In that case definitely a poor decision not to move on. And worse scouting because in that case we're right back to Lack and Darling being... well, Lack and Darling.
Cam was also unquestionably the better goalie all 4 of those years with the exception of maybe Lacks second year. But Eddie was hurt and 33 broken down Ward had to play 61 games. And if we expand it to Seattle Cam was Francis’ 2nd best performing goaltender to Joey Daccord who had a nice season this year. Which is saying something about how awful the rest have been.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Ah, of course, Brian McCabe. That's who everyone expected to score that first goal for the Leafs.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad