Around the League 43: Playoff Time- Goodbye Buffalo, Goodbye Yzerplan. And Goodbye Yotes, Welcome Utah.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
buffy popcorn gif.gif

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Sharks firing Quinn seems rather useless to me. They're not going to be a good team for a while, even if they win the Celebrini lottery. That's not on the coach but on a gutted and rotten roster.
It's going to be a young team that needs development and molding.

There's no better time to give Warsofsky a shot. He's shown he can at least get young players to play. I would say develop as well, but I'm sure some would argue that given how little Rod has used prospects in his tenure.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It's going to be a young team that needs development and molding.

There's no better time to give Warsofsky a shot. He's shown he can at least get young players to play. I would say develop as well, but I'm sure some would argue that given how little Rod has used prospects in his tenure.
Other than Foegele, Bean, Svech, Necas, Wallmark, Nedeljkovic, Kochetkov, Drury, Maenalanen (end of 19), Geekie, Lorentz, Chatfield and Jarvis. Other than that, he hasn't used any prospects in his tenure. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, the difficult part the last 3 seasons is the Canes have been the second best team in the NHL with cup aspirations and a veteran team with not many holes to fill so it's hard to fill those roles. On top of that, we haven't had a top half of the 1st round draft pick other than Jarvis and most of our best prospects weren't available to play in the NHL (Nikishin, Morrow, Nadeau). Hard to crack the line-up on a team like that. About the only guy that was probably "ready" but with no spot was Pono.

That said, I thought one of the issues the Canes had with Warofsky and why they wanted to fire him was because he wasn't playing the prospects over vets in Chicago, Kochetkov specifically.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
That said, I thought one of the issues the Canes had with Warofsky and why they wanted to fire him was because he wasn't playing the prospects over vets in Chicago, Kochetkov specifically.

Warsofsky wasn't fired, for obvious reasons. He was great for Chicago and helped us win that 2nd Calder Cup. San Jose was the best possible route to a HC career, so he left for their assistant coach position.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Warsofsky wasn't fired, for obvious reasons. He was great for Chicago and helped us win that 2nd Calder Cup. San Jose was the best possible route to a HC career, so he left for their assistant coach position.
I didn't say he was fired.

I said that it came out later that the Canes wanted (or better word is threatened) to fire him for not playing our prospects, namely Kochetkov.

"But even though the Wolves won the 2022 Calder Cup with the Carolina affiliation, it was won with plenty of turmoil along the way - including at one point, according to Young, Carolina threatening to fire the team's then-head coach Ryan Warsofsky during the 2022 Calder Cup Finals if he continued to play goaltender Alex Lyon over Hurricanes prospect goalie Pyotr Kochetkov."

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I didn't say he was fired.

I said that it came out later that the Canes wanted (or better word is threatened) to fire him for not playing our prospects, namely Kochetkov.

"But even though the Wolves won the 2022 Calder Cup with the Carolina affiliation, it was won with plenty of turmoil along the way - including at one point, according to Young, Carolina threatening to fire the team's then-head coach Ryan Warsofsky during the 2022 Calder Cup Finals if he continued to play goaltender Alex Lyon over Hurricanes prospect goalie Pyotr Kochetkov."
I would argue they threatened to fire him if he took orders from the Wolves rather than the Hurricanes, his employer.

And given that Kochetkov was a long-term Canes prospect, matched Alex Lyon's performance in his limited time in North America in the regular season, and outperformed Lyon in the Calder Cup playoff run, I think they had a valid point that a coach employed by the Hurricanes should be playing the prospect who was outplaying the veteran.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I would argue they threatened to fire him if he took orders from the Wolves rather than the Hurricanes, his employer.

Maybe. Regardless of the motive, it was that he wasn't playing Kochetkov when the Canes wanted him to. No disagreement there.
And given that Kochetkov was a long-term Canes prospect, matched Alex Lyon's performance in his limited time in North America in the regular season, and outperformed Lyon in the Calder Cup playoff run, I think they had a valid point that a coach employed by the Hurricanes should be playing the prospect who was outplaying the veteran.

I don't take any issue with the approach that the Canes took as I agree with the Canes on wanting to have Kochetkov play over Lyon. I'm in full agreement with them wanting to have Kochetkov play.

My point was that we have an instance where Warsofsky was playing a vet over a rookie for whatever reason. Whether he was listening to the Wolves or wanted to win for his own career development, I can't say.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00