Around the League 42: Life, the Universe, and Everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyLuckyPuck

Jan 5, 2021
Going back to the playoff "bracket" comment, I was actually a huge fan of the three division winners at the top in order of points, then 4-8 followed in order of points. It was also way easier to follow and understand. I still find myself being like..."now who plays who?"

One of the big draws imo, was having a underdog (a lower point having , but division winner) have home ice in at least one round, and see what they can do with it. (See circa 2002). I could also care less about building these "rivalries" of teams meeting up year after year to create some artificially generated bitterness. Oh boy Rangers v Islanders again! No thanks. I'd rather have the variation and parity.

Last edited:

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Okay, but Washington has been playing VERY good hockey lately, while the Flyers have not. We definitely want to face Philly
we would f***ing stomp out either of them, who the hell cares which it is lol. I'm good with any first round matchup -- Bolts, Flyers, Caps, Isles, Pens, Red Wings, Sabres, it don't matter bring it on.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
we would f***ing stomp out either of them, who the hell cares which it is lol. I'm good with any first round matchup -- Bolts, Flyers, Caps, Isles, Pens, Red Wings, Sabres, it don't matter bring it on.

It's the playoffs. Anything can happen. I'd rather face the team that's struggling due to questionable goaltending than the team that's got the greatest goal-scorer of our generation starting to heat up and a very underrated goalie in net.

Reactions: DaveG

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

It will be interesting to see what happens between the bolts and leafs. I don't know that they'll fip them, but looking at the schedule I'd say the leafs have the tougher finish.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Okay, but Washington has been playing VERY good hockey lately, while the Flyers have not. We definitely want to face Philly
While Philly is definitely playing poorly, for the last dozen games, the underlying numbers for the Caps aren't "very good", nor are even the conventional metrics outside the PP and high shooting %.

5v5 CF%: 30th in the NHL
5v5 GF%: 16th in the NHL
xGF%: 19th in the NHL
PP%: 3rd best in the NHL
PK%: 21st best in the NHL
GF/GP: 8th best in the NHL
GA/GP: 17th best in the NHL
SH% (all situations): 2nd best in the NHL
SV% (all situations): 16th best in the NHL

That said, we all know how a hot power play can do wonders for a team in the playoffs.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
While Philly is definitely playing poorly, for the last dozen games, the underlying numbers for the Caps aren't "very good", nor are even the conventional metrics outside the PP and high shooting %.

5v5 CF%: 30th in the NHL
5v5 GF%: 16th in the NHL
xGF%: 19th in the NHL
PP%: 3rd best in the NHL
PK%: 21st best in the NHL
GF/GP: 8th best in the NHL
GA/GP: 17th best in the NHL
SH% (all situations): 2nd best in the NHL
SV% (all situations): 16th best in the NHL

That said, we all know how a hot power play can do wonders for a team in the playoffs.

They've had some stinkers in there for sure. Getting shutout by the Jets or blown out by the Oilers isn't unexpected, but giving up 8 to the Wings or 5 to the Yotes is. But on the flip side, they also beat Vancouver and Seattle in close games.

And like I said, since the end of January, OV has regained a bit of his scoring touch, which bodes poorly for their opponents, should they make the playoffs

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Seems like the Canes remaining schedule could provide a great opportunity for Rod to manage the lineup in a way that gets everyone as healthy as possible for the playoffs.

:teach:
The challenge with our schedule is while we may only play a couple of 3 games against "top" teams, we also play 4 games (5 if you count Pittsburgh) against teams desperately trying to make the playoffs (Washington x 2, Detroit, St. Louis). Those games are going to be hard fought.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
It's the playoffs. Anything can happen. I'd rather face the team that's struggling due to questionable goaltending than the team that's got the greatest goal-scorer of our generation starting to heat up and a very underrated goalie in net.
Obviously anything can happen, it’s sports.

But, no offense here and it’s not directed at you, rooting for an “easier” matchup is kind of a bitch move. You’re gonna have to play great teams anyways, bring on the best from the start.

It will be interesting to see what happens between the bolts and leafs. I don't know that they'll fip them, but looking at the schedule I'd say the leafs have the tougher finish.
Ok add the Leafs to that list of “bring it on.”

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Obviously anything can happen, it’s sports.

But, no offense here and it’s not directed at you, rooting for an “easier” matchup is kind of a bitch move. You’re gonna have to play great teams anyways, bring on the best from the start.

Nah, the ultimate goal is to win the Cup. No one cares how it’s accomplished. If the Canes can win the Cup without ever facing the current top tier teams in the league, I’m sure that’d be much preferred than having to face Boston, the Rangers, etc.

Look at Vegas last year. The biggest challenge they faced was in the 2nd round, against the Oilers, and they still beat them in 6, despite losing their goalie in that series. The Finals matchup was a joke, because the big break between the Conference Finals and the Cup Finals knocked out whatever hot streak Bob had. Do you think anyone cares that they didn’t face Carolina or Jersey or Boston? No.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I hope to see him in the playoffs someday. I honestly feel bad for him lol
I feel bad for him too, he got screwed here and flat out slandered by the org.

But that said, he did choose Buffalo. He had a full NMC and picked his destination, and he chose, of all teams, the Buffalo friggin' Sabres. Clearly there were things more important to him than playoffs.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Nah, the ultimate goal is to win the Cup. No one cares how it’s accomplished. If the Canes can win the Cup without ever facing the current top tier teams in the league, I’m sure that’d be much preferred than having to face Boston, the Rangers, etc.

Look at Vegas last year. The biggest challenge they faced was in the 2nd round, against the Oilers, and they still beat them in 6, despite losing their goalie in that series. The Finals matchup was a joke, because the big break between the Conference Finals and the Cup Finals knocked out whatever hot streak Bob had. Do you think anyone cares that they didn’t face Carolina or Jersey or Boston? No.
I'm with you on the overall point about winning the cup- but it's also worth considering that facing tough competition makes you improve your own game. Teams that face a too easy opponent quite regularly get smacked in the face the next round- see us getting whacked by Florida and unable to score after running over an easy matchup, partially because we fell into thinking things would come easy. Sweeps are a good example as well- teams that win in a sweep have terrible records in the round after, because they have a long wait, fall out of rhythm and practice, and because they're overconfident. 2019 was a good example- we sweep the Isles, then the Bruins sweep us, and then the Bruins themselves lose in the next round (though they weren't swept).

Facing too many too tough opponents will burn you out, but facing too many easy ones leaves you unprepared.

As a whole though, it's something that you have no control over unless you deliberately try to loose games, which is the worst plan available. Ultimately, win your games and nothing else matters.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Skinner was the personification of our losing culture, and may have carried the torch to Buffalo. He probably didn’t deserve it, but he was the easiest target to scapegoat. He seems like a good guy and I also hope he goes nuts in the playoffs one year.

Reactions: AD Skinner

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Skinner was the personification of our losing culture, and may have carried the torch to Buffalo. He probably didn’t deserve it, but he was the easiest target to scapegoat. He seems like a good guy and I also hope he goes nuts in the playoffs one year.
Skinner was the ONLY player making any attempt to win at all for much of his time here. He was giving effort when literally no one else was, and nearly dragged the rest of the team to the playoffs in 2017 singlehandedly.

Saying that he was the personification of our losing culture is something that couldn't be more deeply and flagrantly wrong. You should be f***ing ashamed of having put that into writing.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Skinner was the ONLY player making any attempt to win at all for much of his time here. He was giving effort when literally no one else was, and nearly dragged the rest of the team to the playoffs in 2017 singlehandedly.

Saying that he was the personification of our losing culture is something that couldn't be more deeply and flagrantly wrong. You should be f***ing ashamed of having put that into writing.
oh lawd. that dudes effort was false effort. He is the definition of spinning your tires effort.

oh hey, there goes Skinner. He is working hard but where is he going? i dont know but it hurts the team.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

Lol this is just an outrageous mindset to me but we can agree to disagree. All the greatest athletes of all time wanted the hardest challenges

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
oh lawd. that dudes effort was false effort. He is the definition of spinning your tires effort.

oh hey, there goes Skinner. He is working hard but where is he going? i dont know but it hurts the team.
Except for all the many, many times he scored with that effort and singlehandedly won us games.

Of all the things you can say about Jeff Skinner, and he had his warts, that he didn't try to win is simply not one of them. He got in pretty serious conflicts with the coaching staff because he thought that their system was a losing one and he ultimately opted to entirely ignore that system because it was, indeed, a losing pile of shit, and that open defiance of the coaching staff is what got him pushed down in the lineup and ultimately traded. But with hindsight, is there anybody willing to argue that he was not indeed entirely right and that Peters hockey was an effective, winning system? Anyone? Skinner was right and he stuck his neck out against the coach and against the broken culture because he wanted like hell to win. He got burned for being the one player who actually tried to get this team back into caring when the coach just wanted all the players to shut up and submit.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
lol at Philly's recent 4/upcoming 5 game schedule....if they can weather the next 5 games their schedule eases up significantly. I still think they can make the playoffs despite reading talent at deadline:

1710878199368.png

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

But that said, he did choose Buffalo. He had a full NMC and picked his destination, and he chose, of all teams, the Buffalo friggin' Sabres. Clearly there were things more important to him than playoffs.
It's fair to say that what guys like Cole were saying about him were unnecessary, but he really didn't get screwed here. He had 1 year left on his deal and no way the Canes, under new management were going to re-sign him so they tried to trade him. He had a NMC so had full control over where he went. It's a business, just as it was with other guys the Canes traded and/or moved on from.

On top of that, the season before he was traded he wasn't good.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

As they should be. Family considerations should always come first. He also went there to play with Eichel, we can laugh about it but they thought they were improving. I doubt he thought he could still be missing the playoffs now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad