Around the League 36-But Who's Counting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Because the previous thread...
  • ...had over 1000 replies (granted, I'm not sure why we care).
  • ...had a poll related to the playoffs which showed at the top of each page.
  • ...had been derailed by yet another discussion about jerseys, despite this existing.
  • ...had someone suggest it's best to be aware of the prevailing winds when cremating yourself in your own backyard.
Carry on.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah point 1 I've kinda stopped caring about this for the most part

Point 2... Yep, legit was planning on opening the new thread at the start of training camp so let's go with this one.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
  • ...had been derailed by yet another discussion about jerseys, despite this existing.
  • ...had someone suggest it's best to be aware of the prevailing winds when cremating yourself in your own backyard.
Carry on.
Don't we have a food thread and yet every thread still devolves into a food thread?

hurricure

Sr Vice President of Snacking
Oct 8, 2016
Trail BC
Thrashers
WRONG, they aren't even a team anymore. You guys don't know anything about hockey. I'm from Canada and I do. Feel free to ask me about two line passes because as a hockey purist I'm all for it....im still trying to get used to the fact that we can forward pass nowadays... you guys ruined hockey because your in the south.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
WRONG, they aren't even a team anymore. You guys don't know anything about hockey. I'm from Canada and I do. Feel free to ask me about two line passes because as a hockey purist I'm all for it....im still trying to get used to the fact that we can forward pass nowadays... you guys ruined hockey because your in the south.

1993 and counting

:sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: hurricure and DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The rumored Weegar extension with Calgary seems to be an 8x$6.5M AAV, AKA. the St. Louis Special. Honestly, for a top-pairing RHD, which is probably the second-most coveted position in the NHL outside of 1C, that's a pretty solid cap hit for the Flames. Honestly, for all the folks talking about the Huberdeau vs. Tkachuk side of things, it's the loss of Weegar that is the most likely to be the downfall of this trade for the Panthers, because seriously, his ability to seamlessly play both sides of the ice is what prevented Florida's left side from diving off a cliff. Just look at what the Cats have right now playing on the left...Forsling, Marc Staal's corpse, and Lucas Carlsson. Yikes.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Weegar is Dougie level overrated to me so that isn’t a good deal.

Florida not looking too good though on this deal.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The rumored Weegar extension with Calgary seems to be an 8x$6.5M AAV, AKA. the St. Louis Special. Honestly, for a top-pairing RHD, which is probably the second-most coveted position in the NHL outside of 1C, that's a pretty solid cap hit for the Flames. Honestly, for all the folks talking about the Huberdeau vs. Tkachuk side of things, it's the loss of Weegar that is the most likely to be the downfall of this trade for the Panthers, because seriously, his ability to seamlessly play both sides of the ice is what prevented Florida's left side from diving off a cliff. Just look at what the Cats have right now playing on the left...Forsling, Marc Staal's corpse, and Lucas Carlsson. Yikes.

As I said before, I don't fault Florida for doing what they're doing and this goes back to when they traded for Sam Bennett last trade deadline. It's absolutely worth pursuing a Cup when the window is open, and it's absolutely worth it if they win. However, they are also not setting themselves up well for the future. They don't have a first round pick until, 2026? They also don't have many 2nd or 3rds either. The prospect pool they have now isn't terrible but it's not great either.

Again if they win Stanley it's worth it. But even then there's going to be pain.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
As I said before, I don't fault Florida for doing what they're doing and this goes back to when they traded for Sam Bennett last trade deadline. It's absolutely worth pursuing a Cup when the window is open, and it's absolutely worth it if they win. However, they are also not setting themselves up well for the future. They don't have a first round pick until, 2026? They also don't have many 2nd or 3rds either. The prospect pool they have now isn't terrible but it's not great either.

Again if they win Stanley it's worth it. But even then there's going to be pain.
Begs the question. How satisfied are you with the Borgs plan? Seems the likely hood of them going all in at the expense of the future is slim, so are you happy being one of the "picks to win it all every year" teams? Being a top team year in and year out that knows they make the dance but waits for the perfect storm to win it all.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Begs the question. How satisfied are you with the Borgs plan? Seems the likely hood of them going all in at the expense of the future is slim, so are you happy being one of the "picks to win it all every year" teams? Being a top team year in and year out that knows they make the dance but waits for the perfect storm to win it all.
We have pursued the big names that have been available so they don’t mind trading the future.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I like the idea of building for both now and the future and the Borg seems to have taken that route. That isn't to say I've liked everything they've done but as time goes by I have begun to understand their thinking behind decisions.
I think what *some* may forget, or find unimportant, is that this is the entertainment business. Cups are great - but there’s only one team that can win each year (I know, “more at 11”).

The idea of fielding a very competitive team every year, a team that realistically can win the Cup with some luck/breaks - but without “going for it” by mortgaging the future - is better for business. There are teams out there, markets out there, that can’t sustain a period of shit play without hemorrhaging fans and (I guess more importantly, money).

I don’t know what’s better (or worse) - winning a Cup and sucking for years on end afterwards, or being pretty good for 10 years straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad