Around the League 3 - The Threequel Always Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Jr is taking a beating in Pitts, and I'm not ever one to defend him but I thought he did well this year. Erhoff and Perron are good pickups, and 4 or 5 of their best dmen are out. Shipping out Bortuzzo I thought was his biggest mistake. He also supposedly has cap genius Botterill on his staff.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
On top of the injuries, I think it's sometimes a lot harder than people think when you change so much in 1 year. New GM, new coach, quite a few new players (Hornqvist, Spaling, Comeau, Downie, Ehrhoff, Winnick, Cole, etc...). Sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle, but when you are already near the top, there is the risk you go the other way.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I'm betting it has less to do with their playoff performance and more to do with the trade deadline acquisition. IIRC, after he made the Despres for Lovejoy trade, he came out and said something about how, when they look back on the trade a few years from now, Pittsburgh will be the clear loser in the deal.

Reminded me so much of his "I should have known better" comment after trading Kaberle.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I personally think that quote was misconstrued by many. I read it as "We gave up future talent for help now"..so of course in the long run it will look worse.

In almost every trade at the deadline, teams trade away more long term for a short term gain. I mean look at LA. They gave up McKeown and a 1st for Sekera and didn't meet the playoffs. There were already some thoughts that Sekera might sign there in the offseason anyhow.

It's just the nature of deadline deals.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
A lot of Penguins fans on their board have soured on Perron. I haven't looked in depth at the numbers, but I guess his production hasn't been what they were expecting (22 points in 43 games in Pittsburgh's top 6 is pretty pedestrian). Couple that with the fact that JR didn't even lottery protect the 1st they gave up for him, and I can understand their frustration with that deal.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I personally think that quote was misconstrued by many. I read it as "We gave up future talent for help now"..so of course in the long run it will look worse.

In almost every trade at the deadline, teams trade away more long term for a short term gain. I mean look at LA. They gave up McKeown and a 1st for Sekera and didn't meet the playoffs. There were already some thoughts that Sekera might sign there in the offseason anyhow.

It's just the nature of deadline deals.

True, but in that case, LA made a noticeable improvement to the lineup. McKeown wasn't on their roster, and Sekera filled in a hole that was left by Voynov's legal issues. That was an immediate impact improvement, even if it didn't work out in the end.

Despres for Lovejoy seemed like it was simply a trade for the sake of making a trade. Despres was already playing in a Top 4 role for Pittsburgh (I believe), and if Lovejoy was considered better than him, it wasn't by much. It didn't immediately improve Pittsburgh's roster by much, if at all, and if Despres continues to develop, it hurts Pittsburgh in the long run.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
True, but in that case, LA made a noticeable improvement to the lineup. McKeown wasn't on their roster, and Sekera filled in a hole that was left by Voynov's legal issues. That was an immediate impact improvement, even if it didn't work out in the end.

Despres for Lovejoy seemed like it was simply a trade for the sake of making a trade. Despres was already playing in a Top 4 role for Pittsburgh (I believe), and if Lovejoy was considered better than him, it wasn't by much. It didn't immediately improve Pittsburgh's roster by much, if at all, and if Despres continues to develop, it hurts Pittsburgh in the long run.

I don't think it was like that though (just a trade to make a trade). THEY, the Pens brass, thought Lovejoy would be a better player right now and help them more this year. They didn't make it just to make a move, contrary to what people want to think. On top of that, they are deep with defensive prospects/young defensive players: Maata, Pouliot, Dumoulin, Harrington, Cole....so were dealing away a guy from an area of strength.

I'm not saying it was a good move, because I personally think it wasn't enough of an improvement to make that much of a difference this year, but it was a deadline move in an attempt to make them better right now. Not much more complicated than that IMO.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Around the League 3: The Threequel Always Sucks
Around the League 3: Like "Godfather 3" in Topic Form.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
It seems like most on the PIT board are defending JR, saying he probably has very little control anyway. I thought that was pretty well known when he took the position.

they just ran into a good team called the rongos it happens

Please stop using such a negative nickname, it's not funny and very hurtful.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Going to be an interesting offseason if the Cap doesn't rise. Teams like NYR, CHI, and BOS are going to be right up on the Cap with key players to sign.

There will be opportunities to pry some defensemen away from teams up against the Cap.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Going to be an interesting offseason if the Cap doesn't rise. Teams like NYR, CHI, and BOS are going to be right up on the Cap with key players to sign.

There will be opportunities to pry some defensemen away from teams up against the Cap.

your 15/16 #hcanes defense

Sekera//Faulk
Seabrook//Seidenberg
Staal//Hainsey

gogogo GMRF

gocanes88

Jan 14, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
So because I'm a goal horn geek, I ranked all of the NHL horns. Indulge me.

1) Dallas
2) Calgary
3) Buffalo
4) Chicago
5) Philadelphia
6) Carolina
7) Los Angeles
8) Nashville
9) St. Louis
10) Pittsburgh
11) Florida
12) N.Y. Islanders
13) Detroit
14) Vancouver
15) Arizona
16) Columbus
17) Minnesota
18) Anaheim
19) Tampa Bay
20) Toronto
21) Washington
22) New Jersey
23) Colorado
24) San Jose
25) N.Y. Rangers
26) Boston
27) Winnipeg
28) Edmonton
29) Ottawa
30) Montreal

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I like that the bro conversations are already happening in that thread in advance of the combine. Can't wait to hear how much people can lift this year.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Even if he can, he should at least fake it and do 0, troll the **** out of everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad