Around The League 26: Gostisbe-stillhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
"Come good cake, don't come bad cake", we used to say in the sandbox when tipping a sand-filled tiny plastic bucket over and tapping its bottom with our plastic shovel.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Maybe they want Ghost to clear and once cleared someone may give a pick for him now that he can be sent down.

I don't see it for two reasons:

(1) If he clears now, he'll most likely clear at some point in the future too. An acquiring team could just waive him as necessary too.
(2) If a team is taking on a $4.5 mil commitment for another 2 years clean, it shouldn't care care about waivers to begin with. He is not a prospect that an organization may want to get down to the AHL to work with its development staff. He's not a third-string goalie in an environment in which that type is being plucked off waivers regularly. That's NHL Top 4 money and term.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The running theory on the Flyers board is that they're clearing up space for Risto.

If so, they're gonna MELT DOWN.
May the odds be ever in their favor

The-Hunger-Games-are-Real.gif

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
In non Flyers talk, the Blues may be boned this year. According to The Athletic, 17 of their last 21 games are against the Avs, VGK, or the Wild. I know our division has been top heavy but for a team like St. Louis with all their injuries, that's just an insanely difficult schedule. If they poop the bed now, look for them to be sellers.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Gostisbehere clears. I'm genuinely surprised by that- yeah, he's been bad this year, but no team like Buffalo or Detroit whose season is already shot is gonna pick him up as a reclamation project? Really?

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Wysh told Boomer yesterday on The Point that most FOs are super quiet right now - hardly anyone's calling. He's hearing that most aren't sure this season is worth any big moves or risks even if their teams are in the running for the playoffs - with little to no money to be made.

Reactions: Tryamw

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Wysh told Boomer yesterday on The Point that most FOs are super quiet right now - hardly anyone's calling. He's hearing that most aren't sure this season is worth any big moves or risks even if their teams are in the running for the playoffs - with little to no money to be made.
But this isn't an expiring contract- it's a move for this season plus two more. It's a chance to get a D who could be a top pairing guy with a return to form for zero cost in assets. If you're a struggling team with deep pockets, that's easily a gamble worth taking in my books.

Maybe they're counting on him to be available for a low pick down the road, but free is free.

Reactions: hblueridgegal

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Gostisbehere clears. I'm genuinely surprised by that- yeah, he's been bad this year, but no team like Buffalo or Detroit whose season is already shot is gonna pick him up as a reclamation project? Really?

Still costs actual $. Those teams with no chance and no fans in the building aren’t going to fall overthemselves to pay him a million bucks this year when you can probably get him for next to nothing in the off-season.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
But this isn't an expiring contract- it's a move for this season plus two more. It's a chance to get a D who could be a top pairing guy with a return to form for zero cost in assets. If you're a struggling team with deep pockets, that's easily a gamble worth taking in my books.

Maybe they're counting on him to be available for a low pick down the road, but free is free.
he could just as easily continue being a third pairing defenseman and then you're stuck with him at a $4.5m cap hit for two more years after this one. that's why he cleared. nobody wants to take that big of a gamble on a guy who has struggled for two+ years now.

let's put this way: if ghost were to be a free agent right now, what sort of contract would he get? nowhere close to $4.5m for two+ years, that's for sure. gustafsson got one year at $3m and vatanen got one year at $2m. that's the sort of money that teams are willing to pay for third pairing offensive D who can't really play defense. what ghost did in 2017 is largely irrelevant at this point.

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
There's a better deal to be had, be it a swap of undesirable contracts so a team doesn't potentially double down on overpaid players or some retention to prevent getting stuck with $4.5 mil on the 3rd pairing if he doesn't bounce back.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Spencer Knight signed his ELC with Florida. There goes my dream of the college free agent working in our favor for once.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’m sure Philly offered him to everyone including them already. They probably had offers on the table for him that had money coming back they didn’t want. They knew no one would take him already, much like we knew with Jake. They likely thought there was no risk at all.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
The Flyers and Sabres may both be disasters but boy do these two jerseys look great playing each other. They could probably both wear their darks and still look great. So glad Buffalo went back to bright blue, whatever else may be said about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad