GDT: Around The League: 2024 Playoffs Edition Round 2- “Oh, You Didn’t Know? You’re Ass Better Call SOMEBODY!!!!!”

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Strange series. When Dallas wants to, they can dominate, have built up leads of 7-0 so far in the series. And then they take their foot of the gas, and the cockroaches come back. Game three should be fun. Stars are a great road team, and Avs are excellent at home. Expect the refs to more favorable to the Avs next game, this was one of the rare games where their opponent had more PP’s than they did.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So they hold on, barely. Can’t feel too great about it but I’m sure they’ll take it

I think Avs in 6 now
Yeah. Dallas are f***ed. Lose game 1 with a 3 goal lead=disaster.

Have a 4 goal lead and have that evaporate in third period in 2nd game at home. Thats nuts. DAllas players despite winning will be always having doubt now. Its a somewhat resilient bunch but AV's are going to be flying with confidence headed home. They're showing they can beat Dallas with one period. So explosive.

Good news for Dallas though is Sequin finally scored a goal and Heiskanen got a couple. But if you're a Dallas fan this is a pretty pyrrhic victory. You just saw your club folded twice in two games on home ice and this after Dallas shit the bed in first two games in round 1 against Vegas.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Yeah. Dallas are f***ed. Lose game 1 with a 3 goal lead=disaster.

Have a 4 goal lead and have that evaporate in third period in 2nd game at home. Thats nuts. DAllas players despite winning will be always having doubt now. Its a somewhat resilient bunch but AV's are going to be flying with confidence headed home. They're showing they can beat Dallas with one period. So explosive.

Good news for Dallas though is Sequin finally scored a goal and Heiskanen got a couple. But if you're a Dallas fan this is a pretty pyrrhic victory. You just saw your club folded twice in two games on home ice and this after Dallas shit the bed in first two games in round 1 against Vegas.

100% agreed. And the Avs didn't look disappointed for more than a fraction of a second after that ENG. They know.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
100% agreed. And the Avs didn't look disappointed for more than a fraction of a second after that ENG. They know.
Stars and Dorothy are about to find out this series isn't in Vegas anymore. ;)

Colorado will be Mile high. Would be quite something for Dallas to bag a game there.

its one thing throwing games against Vegas, a team that has occasional trouble scoring. AV's have no such trouble and tend to fill the net every night no matter who they face.

Reactions: Oilhawks

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I’m thinking it’s more a made for TV/Streaming event.

Again, pass. Not sure I want to spend even an hour watching endless regroups by middling to not even ECHL level players playing nothing more than pickup hockey. Screams XFL USFL to me, gimmicky and not real hockey.

Reactions: TB12

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Don't. It's a cesspool. Lots of whining about us not just throwing our hands up and giving up.

Saw someone on Reddit lamenting similar about r/hockey

When the Oilers dominate, crickets, the minute they have a bad game, all hell breaks loose

Usually from orgs that haven’t done anything, or very little. Oh well

Reactions: TB12

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
It can all change quickly though. Endless praise was being heaped on Vegas after the first two games, and the Stars were ridiculed and written off. Boston has been both laughed at and lauded, within the same week.

Agreed, that’s why they play the games.

Dallas was also close to going down 3-0 against Vegas before winning in OT. And honestly I thought the Leafs would complete the comeback, Bruins were looking like shit

There are no guarantees

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'll support anything that gives Gary grief, even if I hate it. ;)

I do as well but something that’s sustainable.

I think the real problem here is it will drain the player pool for the AHL and ECHL and of course a drain on in ice officials who are bad enough now.

I just don’t see 26 teams making the revenue needed to support a $30M salary cap plus the 100K per game winnings and the cost of team travel, support and medical staff, training facilities, meals, equipment, rent, tax etc with a gimmick offshoot of hockey that lasts only just above half an hour.

It’s probably $50M in total costs to ice a team if you’re at the cap so that’s 1.3 Billion with a B just to cover costs. Dont see ticket prices, advertising and rights revenues plus marketing (jersies etc) and ancillary revenues adding up to anything close to that.

Bally just about went under, SN just sold a portion of their Canadian rights, I just don’t see where the revenue is coming from to support this.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Agreed, that’s why they play the games.

Dallas was also close to going down 3-0 against Vegas before winning in OT. And honestly I thought the Leafs would complete the comeback, Bruins were looking like shit

There are no guarantees
With the Leafs-Bruins, it’s just remarkable how the last four series’ have been carbon copies of each other (maybe it’s three now? I don’t recall):
Bos-Tor-Bos-Bos-Tor-Tor-Bos

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
With the Leafs-Bruins, it’s just remarkable how the last four series’ have been carbon copies of each other (maybe it’s three now? I don’t recall):
Bos-Tor-Bos-Bos-Tor-Tor-Bos
Teams are good and in some cases very little separating them. Plus Leafsi Bruins were both getting absolutely remarkable goaltending. Even from using multiple goalies.

I said I was going to stop watching some of the OOT series but the games in 30mins have been compelling and this playoffs 2nd round is better than usual. The quality of play in the other division finals is eye opening. Playing much more open hockey and teams going for it. Getting and giving tons of chances. The goalies. Shesterkin, Swayman, Ott, Bobo, just remarkable. Making circus stops regularly and pristine form where if theres any shot from the angle the shortside is sealed perfectly. Through first and 2nd round series seems like most of the elite goalies are in the East.

People get caught up in the save % and GAA sometimes being similar but the stops these top teams are getting in relation to what we get, theres just no comparison. Oilers also have had the misfortune of playing two clubs who feel they have to play shutdown all day to have a chance against us. The other series are not doing that. Some wide open hockey. Dallas vs Colorado is some spectacular play.

Because of all the good teams advancing (hasn't seemed to happen as much in recent postseasons) these series are damned good and compelling. Hate to say it but the Pacific sure isn't packing the entertainment value now. Vancouver-Preds was awful viewiing and Oilers-Kings was a cakewalk. Hopefully this Oilers series gets better tonight. Its become apparent that other contending teams are really bringing their playoff gear. Don't seem like we've geared up yet.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I do as well but something that’s sustainable.

I think the real problem here is it will drain the player pool for the AHL and ECHL and of course a drain on in ice officials who are bad enough now.

I just don’t see 26 teams making the revenue needed to support a $30M salary cap plus the 100K per game winnings and the cost of team travel, support and medical staff, training facilities, meals, equipment, rent, tax etc with a gimmick offshoot of hockey that lasts only just above half an hour.

It’s probably $50M in total costs to ice a team if you’re at the cap so that’s 1.3 Billion with a B just to cover costs. Dont see ticket prices, advertising and rights revenues plus marketing (jersies etc) and ancillary revenues adding up to anything close to that.

Bally just about went under, SN just sold a portion of their Canadian rights, I just don’t see where the revenue is coming from to support this.
From first glance money doesn’t appear to be an object, it’s the LIV golf concept. If salaries are 2M or so, should attract more than minor league players. Lots of bottom 6 NHL players will be interested in this. Will be interesting to see if it gets off the ground.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
If it's funded by the Saudis and anything like LIV golf it will be horrible but they will gladly throw tens of billions (yes, billions with a "B") of dollars at it without batting an eye. Yay sportswashing!

It is long overdue to pass legislation banning foreign government ownership of Canadian and American based sports and entertainment properties.

Such simple legislation to pass with no consequence to anybody other than the Saudi's. With the NBA and now NHL allowing minority ownership transactions, it's only a matter of time until they start kicking the door down and ruining sports other than just golf.

Unfortunately, like everything, the government will probably wait until the problem has systematically entrenched itself before they bother to do anything.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
From first glance money doesn’t appear to be an object, it’s the LIV golf concept. If salaries are 2M or so, should attract more than minor league players. Lots of bottom 6 NHL players will be interested in this. Will be interesting to see if it gets off the ground.

Who’s behind it? Yes it will attract some bottom 6 NHLers but I think with the cap rising the average NHL salary will soon be $4M. I see the real threat to depth players and the odd older 4th liner. The young guys won’t want to ruin their NHL future.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Who’s behind it? Yes it will attract some bottom 6 NHLers but I think with the cap rising the average NHL salary will soon be $4M. I see the real threat to depth players and the odd older 4th liner. The young guys won’t want to ruin their NHL future.
Apparently Saudi money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad