Around the League - 2023/24

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Vegas is built differently. They are not a team that relies on retrieval and quick transition to be successful on both sides of the ice. They've built their D to be able to battle for pucks and handle forechecks. They are more than willing to face a heavy pressure team because they can win the battles more often than not, and then provide that same pressure. Vegas is more of a wear you down sort of build than an overpower. More of the type of team that may not dominate games 1-4, but looks to split knowing that their style will give them an advantage in games 5-7. Also, they are built to grind games out in OT when needed.

That isn't to say that Colorado can't beat or provide issues that Vegas can't overcome... just Vegas is specifically built to handle heavy forechecking pressure and then grind teams into a pulp.
Not to mention Vegas added Eichel from the last time we played them, who probably should have won MVP last year.
Just watching him play last spring, I feel like he just thrives playing against star players. His play going against McDrai was incredible last year, and I think he’s one of the few players that could actually contain Mack one on one.

I love Sammy G but I’m a bit worried about him, if we have to play Vegas (Walker as well for that matter)
I do think we are the best team rosterwise and have the best chance to win, but other than Georgiev completely flopping, I’m most worried about Vegas come playoff time.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
A decent amount eh?

So when Torts does it it's cute but when it's Dater it's bad and he needs therapy?

:sarcasm:
One is a reporter... one is a coach. Little bit different ways things should happen. A coach that apologizes for emotions and yelling at refs or having a bad press conference. Not a big deal. Emotional game. A reporter that acts unprofessionally and pervs while on the clock, should get scorn.

People just never want to give Torts any credit and the media loves to hate on him (and he loves to hate on the media) which certainly has influence on the public opinion.

I mean... we have media calling for Torts to be removed as coach despite probably the best coaching performance in the league this year. Tocchet is the only one comparable.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The problem wasn't Seattle the problem was Colorado.
That team wasn't beating anyone last year between depth issues, injuries, and distractions.
To be fair to Seattle, they were also one game away from the WCFs, so it isn't like they were a scrub team compared to Nashville when the Avs won the Cup.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
FTR I think it's entirely possible to be a jerk and also be a really good human being. I believe that about Torts. His antics are annoying at times but no doubt he's a very effective coach, and honest and forthright...literally to a fault.

I'm not convinced Dater is that great a guy. Dude really lost a lot of points with me when he seemed to show genuine remorse the actions that rightfully lost him his job at the DP, then turned around and smugly rubbed it in their faces when they lost an arbitration hearing against him and had to pay him (how the f*** they ruled in Dater's favor there is absolutely beyond me).

At least with Torts, when he says he's sorry, like everything else he says, I think he actually means it. Dater rolls out the maudlin "I'm so sowwy" act when he gets in trouble, then goes right back to his usual antics afterward.

IMO the Flyers needed a guy like him because Torts was the only guy who simultaneously had a strong enough will and enough cache to stand up to the higher-ups in Philly and tell them to sit the f*** down. The culture was simply not going to change without him, and say what you will about him, the culture there has most definitely changed. Whether it gets better from here is up for debate, but the Flyers wanted to take a wrecking ball to their organization...and they got one.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
FTR I think it's entirely possible to be a jerk and also be a really good human being. I believe that about Torts. His antics are annoying at times but no doubt he's a very effective coach, and honest and forthright...literally to a fault.

I'm not convinced Dater is that great a guy. Dude really lost a lot of points with me when he seemed to show genuine remorse the actions that rightfully lost him his job at the DP, then turned around and smugly rubbed it in their faces when they lost an arbitration hearing against him and had to pay him (how the f*** they ruled in Dater's favor there is absolutely beyond me).

At least with Torts, when he says he's sorry, like everything else he says, I think he actually means it. Dater rolls out the maudlin "I'm so sowwy" act when he gets in trouble, then goes right back to his usual antics afterward.

IMO the Flyers needed a guy like him because Torts was the only guy who simultaneously had a strong enough will and enough cache to stand up to the higher-ups in Philly and tell them to sit the f*** down. The culture was simply not going to change without him, and say what you will about him, the culture there has most definitely changed. Whether it gets better from here is up for debate, but the Flyers wanted to take a wrecking ball to their organization...and they got one.
If anything I agree with his old school approach that it should be team first at all time and no snowflake player is above the team.

That being said he shouldn't treat the media like that and that's the reason why I don't like him.

The media people are doing their job and part of their job is to interview the coach, don't act like they are stupid pieces of shit for asking the questions that they are supposed to ask. Like if you're the first NHL coach to scratch his captain in 10 years, that's what journalists are going to want to talk about. Not the meaningless 2nd period of the last game. f***ing moron.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Tortorella is quite clearly an egomaniacal contrarian who enjoys the attention from winding people up. Marc Staal has played 33 times this year FFS.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If anything I agree with his old school approach that it should be team first at all time and no snowflake player is above the team.

That being said he shouldn't treat the media like that and that's the reason why I don't like him.

The media people are doing their job and part of their job is to interview the coach, don't act like they are stupid pieces of shit for asking the questions that they are supposed to ask. Like if you're the first NHL coach to scratch his captain in 10 years, that's what journalists are going to want to talk about. Not the meaningless 2nd period of the last game. f***ing moron.
In the case of Ant SanFilippo the rough treatment is 1000% deserved.

I also don't shed many tears in sympathy for Larry Brooks either.

As for the rest, yeah it's annoying at times but I'm willing to be they don't mind the bombast and pissiness in lieu of cookie-cutter answers a lot of other coaches give out.

But yes, I agree, him purposely avoiding/ignoring the media after scratching his newly anointed captain was a bad move by him. Though the answer as to why he did it was pretty obvious, it would've been nice if he had talked about it. He at least realized being a pissant about Felix Sandstrom was also a bad move and he apologized for it.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Why is Marc Staal playing 33 times this year a bad thing?
He's like EJ if EJ didn't have any legs or lingering goodwill from over a decade of service.

And as I've just discovered when I looked up that stat, he looks f***ing ridiculous:

1711487529515.png

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
In the case of Ant SanFilippo the rough treatment is 1000% deserved.

I also don't shed many tears in sympathy for Larry Brooks either.

As for the rest, yeah it's annoying at times but I'm willing to be they don't mind the bombast and pissiness in lieu of cookie-cutter answers a lot of other coaches give out.

But yes, I agree, him purposely avoiding/ignoring the media after scratching his newly anointed captain was a bad move by him. Though the answer as to why he did it was pretty obvious, it would've been nice if he had talked about it. He at least realized being a pissant about Felix Sandstrom was also a bad move and he apologized for it.
He's always like that, it's not even relevant to pinpoint the Sandstrom and Couturier incidents. He humiliates journalists by making them feel dumb for asking normal questions on a regular basis and that's not OK. He knows these people have no choice but to come back the next day. That's straight out bullying.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Jack Edwards has really become tough to listen to this season.
When was he ever remotely listenable to begin with?

I mean it's cool that he debuts for the only franchise his father played for, but if I was him, I think I would have preferred to debut on the road.
It’s Arizona. Home isn’t actually home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad