GDT: Around the League 2023-24 Volume 4: Stretch Drive Edition

Oilers finish:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
On the Leaf's radio post game show, which I had on in the background, they were lamenting the fact that Domi was not playing last night. Supposedly it was Marner's fault that Matthews did not get to 70 and now Domi is viewed as the better passer of the two. This is kind of like saying that McDavid was held back by Leon.

I wonder how Marner feels about such an idiotic take?

• Haha
Reactions: frag2

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
On the Leaf's radio post game show, which I had on in the background, they were lamenting the fact that Domi was not playing last night. Supposedly it was Marner's fault that Matthews did not get to 70 and now Domi is viewed as the better passer of the two. This is kind of like saying that McDavid was held back by Leon.

Marner has an off year with injuries and Leafs drop back 10 points and 3rd in division while Prince Cherry Picker focuses on personal stats all year. Not a surprise really. They better hope that Marner is ready to be their top playoff performer, like he has been every year.

Team sets up Matthews for 17 shots in last 2 games. A 700 shot pace for 82 games. I suppose Marner was supposed to shoot for Matthews too.

Funny a super elite supposed selke quality guy like Matthews has only plays 20 mins/game. Should have lots of energy to spare. If he could be trusted on the PK he probably would have potted a goal or 2 shorthanded through the season to get the 70.

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The shot of Sheldon Keefe consoling him on the bench is absolutely hilarious. The priorities of that team and the players on that team are totally f***ing backwards. Could you imagine McDavid needing his coach to coddle him if he narrowly missed a milestone while about to go into the playoffs?

Big picture - the Leafs have lost 5 in a row, about to play a team that has owned them, but they seem to be organizationally focused on Matthews getting 70 goals. Yet they wonder why they don't win.

I didn't want Kucherov to get 100 assists either, but if I had to choose one to miss the milestone it's Matthews. Does finishing one goal short of 70 totally eliminate Matthews from Hart consideration? I was told that 70 should lock him in for the Hart, but surely 69 is enough. Anyone from Leaf nation available to clear up the confusing mental math?

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
The shot of Sheldon Keefe consoling him on the bench is absolutely hilarious. The priorities of that team and the players on that team are totally f***ing backwards. Could you imagine McDavid needing his coach to coddle him if he narrowly missed a milestone while about to go into the playoffs?

Big picture - the Leafs have lost 5 in a row, about to play a team that has owned them, but they seem to be organizationally focused on Matthews getting 70 goals. Yet they wonder why they don't win.

I didn't want Kucherov to get 100 assists either, but if I had to choose one to miss the milestone it's Matthews. Does finishing one goal short of 70 totally eliminate Matthews from Hart consideration? I was told that 70 should lock him in for the Hart, but surely 69 is enough. Anyone from Leaf nation available to clear up the confusing mental math?
I wonder if they had beer in the locker room last night, despite no 70.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Playing your star player 21+ min and having him shoot 13 shots when your first playoff game is Saturday is bananas to me.

The Leafs are still where the Oilers were 5 years ago - exclusively excited about the cool milestones their star players hit. Winning? Whatever.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
69 goals is an amazing accomplishment. As is the possibility of OV breaking Gretzky's record. But with respect to Gretzky he scored his goals with a mentality of think pass first, think pass second, think pass third and then shoot when that is obviously the best option. At no time in his career was Gretzky fed pucks to inflate his goal total the way that OV is now or to a degree Matthews was over the last few weeks. Gretzky scored 92 goals in a year that he also had 120 assists, six more than any other player in the game has ever had in a single season. This is why I have a hard time seeing OV as the best goal scorer of all time despite acknowledging why others may.

Similarly with McDavid's 64 goals last year. While he obviously had more of a goal scoring mentality last year than he did this year he still put up 64 while being primarily a playmaker.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
69 goals is an amazing accomplishment. As is the possibility of OV breaking Gretzky's record. But with respect to the latter he scored his goals with a mentality of think pass first, think pass second, think pass third and then shoot when that is obviously the best option. At no time in his career was Gretzky fed pucks to inflate his goal total the way that OV is now or to a degree Matthews was over the last few weeks. Gretzky scored 92 goals in a year that he also had 120 assists, six more than any other player in the game has ever had in a single season. This is why I have a hard time seeing OV as the best goal scorer of all time despite acknowledging why others may.

Similarly with McDavid's 64 goals last year. While he obviously had more of a goal scoring mentality last year than he did this year he still put up 64 while being primarily a playmaker.
Agreed with everything. To add that Carbon Graphite technology has made scoring easier. I've seen Mike Bossy and Matthews. Both scored 69 goals. No question in my mind Bossy shooting was more amazing. What would someone like him do with todays stick technology?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Agreed with everything. To add that Carbon Graphite technology has made scoring easier. I've seen Mike Bossy and Matthews. Both scored 69 goals. No question in my mind Bossy shooting was more amazing. What would someone like him do with todays stick technology?
Though as a counter there is also a big change in goalies and their equipment. I am not sure who I would choose between Bossy and Matthews though as a fellow old guy I probably lean Bossy.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'm surprised that Keefe didn't pull the goalie and put Matthews on the ice for every Ozone face off. He should be happy once he passed Ovi for most goals in a season during the modern era.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Though as a counter there is also a big change in goalies and their equipment. I am not sure who I would choose between Bossy and Matthews though as a fellow old guy I probably lean Bossy.
I think it possible that goaltender equipment, improved pads, improved skates etc is already factored into equipment change benefitting both goalies and skaters today with improved, lighter equipment. The composite stick however is a grade A weapon that has had no specific counterpoint in goaltending equipment.

Some other factors. In the year Bossy hit 69 goals there were only 17 NHL teams so possibly less watered down product and opposition. A lot of nights you're playing against good teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Playing your star player 21+ min and having him shoot 13 shots when your first playoff game is Saturday is bananas to me.

For an arbitrary number too. Not a record. Less than Alex Mogilny even. Any era adjusted number still would say OV's 65 goal season was better.

Oilers gonna pull the goalie tonight to try to get McDavid more assists just out of principle?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I’ll go with Bossy. He smoked between periods and kept his clothes on in parking lots.

• Haha
Reactions: oobga

Navx94

Sponsor
Jan 17, 2019
The longer this ducks game stays tie the better chances we have of avoiding VGK.

Ducks powerplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad