GDT: Around the League 2023-24 Volume 4: Stretch Drive Edition

Oilers finish:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
I actually would rather tame the beast rather than be the beast that gets tamed. I don't like the odds of winning a third straight round against the kings plus it's an easier commute to go to a game in Vegas than LA

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This also means Vegas crosses over to the Central which is massive. Oilers wouldn't play Vegas until the West Finals.

Why is everybody so scared of Vegas? I think the Kings are just as tough an opponent and what's with this assumption that Vegas is going to make it to the WCFs? They would have to beat Dallas and likely Colorado. Good luck with that

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Why is everybody so scared of Vegas? I think the Kings are just as tough an opponent and what's with this assumption that Vegas is going to make it to the WCFs? They would have to beat Dallas and likely Colorado. Good luck with that
Vegas crossing over to the Central means we avoid playing them unless we somehow meet in the West Finals is what I meant.

They won the Cup and they added Hertl, Hanifin and soon to be Stone. It's a tall task meeting them in round one.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Vegas crossing over to the Central means we avoid playing them unless we somehow meet in the West Finals is what I meant.

They won the Cup and they added Hertl, Hanifin and soon to be Stone. It's a tall task meeting them in round one.

I think L.A. is just as tough a matchup and actually causes more problems in some respects. I know Vegas won the Cup last season but I never felt like they were a dominant team, there was a lot of timely scoring for them that just seemed to all come together at once.

I just don't see the big fear with them personally, I think Dallas and Colorado are teams to fear but that would also mean a trip to the WCFs if the Oilers faced them which we'd all take.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
wow, Georgiev is terrible. Vegas would have been locked in to the Central if he hadn't stunk it up
Hill wasn't a whole lot better. Both of them were well south of .900 save %. I think the Georgiev issue was very predictable with the amount of games the Avs were playing him. Looks burnt out at this point. Hill has had an injury plagued season, and might not recover at all this year. Combined with some terrible defence being played by both outfits, not a good combo going into the playoffs.

Time for them to Cellebrini-ate.

I actually would rather tame the beast rather than be the beast that gets tamed. I don't like the odds of winning a third straight round against the kings plus it's an easier commute to go to a game in Vegas than LA
Who cares whether it's the Kings or Vegas? Just play well and beat whoever they face.

2for1PizzaPastuh

Jan 13, 2023
Hill wasn't a whole lot better. Both of them were well south of .900 save %. I think the Georgiev issue was very predictable with the amount of games the Avs were playing him. Looks burnt out at this point. Hill has had an injury plagued season, and might not recover at all this year. Combined with some terrible defence being played by both outfits, not a good combo going into the playoffs.
For sure. Hill doesn't look good at all, and has been absolutely terrible for months now. You love to see it... :naughty:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'm a big fan of NHL Edge. Here's a team by team comparisons of Oilers and potential first round opponents Kings and Vegas Golden Showers. Interesting stuff:

Oilers and Vegas team results: NHL EDGE Puck and Player Tracking Statistics - Comparisons

Oilers and Kings team results: NHL EDGE Puck and Player Tracking Statistics - Comparisons

Let me say that I hate Vegas and Dallas and prefer those two beat the shit of out of each other in the first round. Flush one turd in round one.

I do think there is far, far greater volatility in facing the Golden Showers. Their goals scored was nicked with only 61 games of an elite Eichel and 56 games of LTIR fraudster Stone. Injuries to Theodore and Peter Angel affected their blue line and goal suppression. They show solid mid-range scoring with 82 goals versus 59 by a largely healthy Oilers teams. Plus their deadline acquisitions of Hertl and Hanifan add quality support depth.

The Kings core were largely healthy. Team shot only 9.7% compared to Oilers 10.5% (+ Vegas 10.4%). There's not super elite talent with no one over 73 points. Team is big and play a stifling system. Guy like Dubois could be a sleeper or stay sleeping. Kopitar and Danault are elite defensive centres.

Blank slate with game 1 of the playoffs. Oil can play with anyone in a single game. Switching to grinding playoff series hockey is where the true test is taken. They have built significant resiliency through this year's elevator ride to start the season and have solid playoff experience. Gotta go through good teams all along the way. Will be interesting.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I don’t like the Kings for a couple reasons
1) I don’t like watching them
2) We are likely to get some injuries
3) They are extremely motivated to beat us

With Vegas
1) They just know how to win
2) I think they are a better team provided they are healthy.

Not sure how healthy or motivated they will be. Maybe foolish by me, but I think Vegas would be an easier first round matchup than LA

Reactions: JordanGalhanth

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
I don’t like the Kings for a couple reasons
1) I don’t like watching them
2) We are likely to get some injuries
3) They are extremely motivated to beat us

With Vegas
1) They just know how to cheat
2) I think they are a better team provided they are healthy.and use their faux cap.

Not sure how healthy or motivated they will be. Maybe foolish by me, but I think Vegas would be an easier first round matchup than LA
Ftfy

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Huberdeau's statline in Calgarys 6-5 win
0 goals, 0 assist, +/- 0, 2 SOG, 0 blocks

Classic Huby being Huby
Don’t worry Calgary, just 8 more years @ $10.5.

General comments: Just checked the standings, looking like all playoff teams will be 100 point-teams in the West and 90-91 points in the East. That’ll piss the Blues off.

I thought last nights loss sealed up the division for Vancouver. There’s still a minuscule chance the Oilers could take 1st if the Canucks lose out and Oil win out.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellagiobob

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Just noted this, that King Clown Eric Karlson was -4 last night in a game that sunk the Pens playoff hopes and took them out of a playoff position.
It’ll take a miracle for them to squeak in now. Still don’t know how Washington is in a spot. Every time I see highlights, it seems like they lose lol.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Crazy how much coverage this Eastern wildcard race is getting. Feel like its been a main topic for like 2 months. And then when whichever team finally makes it gets inevitably swept next week nobody will think twice about it.

Reactions: Oilhawks

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
CLINCH BUS
1713190786683.png

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Crazy how much coverage this Eastern wildcard race is getting. Feel like its been a main topic for like 2 months. And then when whichever team finally makes it gets inevitably swept next week nobody will think twice about it.
Been a wild finish for those last two spots.

3 of the teams are doing their best not to make it while the Isles have really went onto a heater to appear like they'll secure a spot. Then you have Pittsburgh that might've started the push a little too late.

SLC?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I've never like the odds better of beating the Kings in the first round.

Other than our choice of no showing there in early January, they haven't been able to touch us in a game this year. They play one way and one way only, and we know exactly how to beat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad