GDT: Around the League 2023-24 Volume 4: Stretch Drive Edition

Oilers finish:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
I'd prefer playing Vegas if I could trust the Oilers to actually want retribution for last year. And if I could trust that the Oilers could elevate their game in high pressure situations. And if I could trust that the Oilers had a killer instinct. And if I could trust the Oilers work ethic.

But I don't.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It’s going to be a bloodbath in the west. It really is pick your poison. If any of the four ‘lower seeds’ with the first round I wouldn’t consider them upsets, all the teams are fairly equal.

If I had to pick my opponent sitting here today it would be the Kings, but it's not like they're a push over at all.

I don't know if I can ever remember all 8 teams in a Conference this strong.

Reactions: bellagiobob

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Kings have the softest schedule by far down the stretch and have won 4 in a row, have a game in hand on Vegas and own the tie breaker

I wouldn't sleep on LA
Not really sleeping on them, just think Vegas is better and Cassidy is a good coach who I expect will have them ramping up, hard schedule or not. The winstreak doesn't mean much to me, I guess they have momentum but up 1 point after winning four in a row with one game in hand is not a large gap.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Kostin scores again last night. 3G 4A 7pts in 9GP with Sharks. What a difference it makes if team gives you an actual chance playing with some players with skill.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Berkshire’s rant seems veiled anti-semetic to me as there’s been many a player from a wealthy family succeed beyond expectations but none were Jewish. Seems odd he’d single out Hyman when Reinhart and Mathew’s both hit 50 before him also come from wealthy families. Why did he single out Hyman.

Nice to see his TikTok media career end in one tweet. Worst take since “PJ makes McDavid better”.

Too bad Laing still has an active platform lol

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If I had to pick my opponent sitting here today it would be the Kings, but it's not like they're a push over at all.

I don't know if I can ever remember all 8 teams in a Conference this strong.
It's why when a few weeks ago, some people were already trying to determine an opponent for us, and I said, "way too early." Lots of runway left in the schedule, plus as you said, everyone in the mix is going to be pretty damned tough.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Kostin scores again last night. 3G 4A 7pts in 9GP with Sharks. What a difference it makes if team gives you an actual chance playing with some players with skill.
He’s getting minutes with skill players because the SJ sharks are playing balloon your stats but lose the game pond hockey.

1711566347041.jpeg

1711566372938.jpeg

1711566399704.jpeg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He’s getting minutes with skill players because the SJ sharks are playing balloon your stats but lose the game pond hockey.

View attachment 842332

View attachment 842333

View attachment 842334
I don't disagree. Sharks are not playing to Win. But they ARE still playing against NHL level opponents, goalies etc and Kostin is scoring and producing.

I could see your argument more if Sharks had been relegated (a wish for this) and that Kostin and company were only playing against AHL level opposition.

In anycase Kostin is showing again what he showed here. That he has a more than decent shot and be dangerous with it given opportunity. With the right players here, he was as well able to be on the ice without springing leaks.

The notion of detractors that was expressed here was doubting that Kostin even offered much of a shot or that he was lucky, shooting % unsustainable etc. Except Kostin has a howitzer of a shot and can even score from range with it.

In anycase Kostin could have been had for the price of Carrick and also fights. Kostin hits more than Carrick and scores more than him. Would have been a decent add.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't disagree. Sharks are not playing to Win. But they ARE still playing against NHL level opponents, goalies etc and Kostin is scoring and producing.

I could see your argument more if Sharks had been relegated (a wish for this) and that Kostin and company were only playing against AHL level opposition.

In anycase Kostin is showing again what he showed here. That he has a more than decent shot and be dangerous with it given opportunity. With the right players here, he was as well able to be on the ice without springing leaks.

The notion of detractors that was expressed here was doubting that Kostin even offered much of a shot or that he was lucky, shooting % unsustainable etc. Except Kostin has a howitzer of a shot and can even score from range with it.

In anycase Kostin could have been had for the price of Carrick and also fights. Kostin hits more than Carrick and scores more than him. Would have been a decent add.
Scored a goal and was a minus in the game. Minus 6 in the last 4 games.:laugh:

Reactions: bellagiobob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Plus heres the real deal in entertainment. Loyal fans are sitting there in the stands and just want something to cheer for occasionally. Then Kostin drops a bomb like this. What a howitzer. Goal scorers goal. Walks in, times perfectly, through screen, shots top corner through defenders legs. Perfect snipe. Building erupts with applause, commentators know it was a great goal scored and say so.

Thats the whole deal. nobody in the seats in SJ is expecting regular wins against one of the top teams in league. But they get a treat anytime that one of their guys can score a goal. Thats it.

Kostin is a sniper used properly.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

My argument is he is getting points because they are NHL players stacking points rather than playing a proper game. AKA cheating on offence and paying zero attention to defence. It has nothing to do with level of competition. If you give up way more than you give it isn’t a good thing.

What? His shooting % here wasn’t sustainable that was only proven. Him shooting 25% for a 9 game stretch in SJ is also not sustainable.

Plus heres the real deal in entertainment. Loyal fans are sitting there in the stands and just want something to cheer for occasionally. Then Kostin drops a bomb like this. What a howitzer. Goal scorers goal. Walks in, times perfectly, through screen, shots top corner through defenders legs. Perfect snipe. Building erupts with applause, commentators know it was a great goal scored and say so.

Thats the whole deal. nobody in the seats in SJ is expecting regular wins against one of the top teams in league. But they get a treat anytime that one of their guys can score a goal. Thats it.

Kostin is a sniper used properly.
Kostin a “sniper.” Based off 3 goals in 9 games.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My argument is he is getting points because they are NHL players stacking points rather than playing a proper game. AKA cheating on offence and paying zero attention to defence. It has nothing to do with level of competition. If you give up way more than you give it isn’t a good thing.

What? His shooting % here wasn’t sustainable that was only proven. Him shooting 25% for a 9 game stretch in SJ is also not sustainable.

Based on him actually sniping. Which was even in his scouting report, which is featured when he flat out beats goalies from range. When he steps into shots or has lightning fast delivery.

I guess you figure all the sniper goals I could show you were just doctored footage or something.

Kostin scored 14 goals here in limited minutes, in non PP minutes, and mostly in bottom minutes here through 69 games. Properly used he could snipe 20 in this league. The guy has a good shot. I know you'll doubt this.

ps most guys with a good to very good shot have high shooting %. because of the nature of the shot. Goal scorers goal. Maybe you've heard the term.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

If his goal is to actually improve his game to be a reliable 2 way depth player on a good team (not sure it is based on how he hasn’t shown improvement in those areas) then going to SJ is not a good situation for him. If all he wants is goals in the hope of propping up his value when he eventually heads to the KHL, then I guess good on him.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Based on him actually sniping. Which was even in his scouting report, which is featured when he flat out beats goalies from range. When he steps into shots or has lightning fast delivery.

I guess you figure all the sniper goals I could show you were just doctored footage or something.

Kostin scored 14 goals here in limited minutes, in non PP minutes, and mostly in bottom minutes here through 69 games. Properly used he could snipe 20 in this league. The guy has a good shot. I know you'll doubt this.

ps most guys with a good to very good shot have high shooting %. because of the nature of the shot. Goal scorers goal. Maybe you've heard the term.
Kostin has 22 goals in 145 games.

Kostin hasn’t had a good sustained shooting % his entire hockey career.

I’m not saying he can’t score but calling him a sniper is non sense. He has not been a sniper at any level of hockey.

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Posted this but I guess it was on the mains so dont think many here have seen this. But just an awesome, enlightening interview with Slater K by our own Luke Gazdic. Very honest interview and opening up by both of these men. Also some nice comments about Colin Chaulk down in Bako.

Wow.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If his goal is to actually improve his game to be a reliable 2 way depth player on a good team (not sure it is based on how he hasn’t shown improvement in those areas) then going to SJ is not a good situation for him. If all he wants is goals in the hope of propping up his value when he eventually heads to the KHL, then I guess good on him.
Even he's propping his value up for his next NHL contract

The guy ends up potting 20+ next year there is always some GM that will want a guy with his size and ability. Being a RFA and where the Sharks are headed he could be in for a pretty nice chunk of change. Problem is when you actually want to start winning he isn't the guy you want.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Hope he is well. I remember Strudwick used to say on the radio that Bear was not 100% in being a prepared hockey pro when he played in Edmonton. None of our business, but hope he works out whatever he has going on.
I remember Strudwick saying that, and also there were a few rumors going around that Bear was partying too much when he was an Oiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino