GDT: Around the League 2023-24: The Marathon Becomes A Sprint

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Thats my take but if the Preds could somehow turn this into resolve that would be something. I guess a team gets to decide whether its a bonding resilience moment or a melting moment. Some of the pundits like Friedman are talking this up as a Nucks moment. I think its false. Nucks didn't deserve that result, preds self destructed. Theres a key difference.

That's a good point.

A Nucks team that moves on tonight after having the series handed to them is much less dangerous to the Oilers than a Preds team that overcomes that blunder and wins the series.

(Obligatory provided that the Oilers finish off the Kings disclaimer)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That could be

Although, Treliving was overrated trash in Calgary and Dubas continues to suck in Pittsburgh. So it could be all three of them are garbage managers
Dubas was going into a tough situation in Pittsburgh. As long as Sid is there the appetite for the playoffs will always be there.

But man has he made it worse. Brought in Karlsson who don't get me wrong still had a heck of a season, but you didn't need a 10mil Karlsson. Locked up Jarry who's not exactly a guy that can be counted on. Lost Guentzel. Looks to have overpaid Graves for the time being. Brought in Bunting who many wanted gone in Toronto due to his antics.

Good news for Toronto fans though as Dubas might be able to convince a guy like Marner to waive to come to Pittsburgh. Bad news for Toronto they have Treliving that seemed to want ever ex-Flame that was available this year

Reactions: Oilhawks

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
I can't remember which talking head it was, but they talked about how a lot of the players are happy to be leaving.

Sure the players are sad to leave the City behind, but they aren't sad to be leaving a cheap owner behind. Wasn't just related to hotels either, lots of little things that made the guys wonder if they were back in the AHL.
There's a great book deal in this somewhere

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
This has to be one of the worst round 1's in a long time. The fact that only one round 1 series could only possibly go 7 (vegas/dallas) is bonkers. A crazy stat is if Dallas hadn't won to tie up the series 2-2, it would have been since the mid 80s that no series match up was at least tied 2-2. What a deflating playoffs so far.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Stamkos to Leafs in the offseason? I think it’ll happen. They can’t help themselves running Pajama boys even though it always ends up in failure.
Is Stamkos the correct age yet though? The Leafs usually get them when they're close to being put out to pasture and Stammer seems to still have some life in him.

Reactions: TheNumber4

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
This has to be one of the worst round 1's in a long time. The fact that only one round 1 series could only possibly go 7 (vegas/dallas) is bonkers. A crazy stat is if Dallas hadn't won to tie up the series 2-2, it would have been since the mid 80s that no series match up was at least tied 2-2. What a deflating playoffs so far.

I think the league is morphing into five tiers of teams:

1 - Elite Team with elite offensive talent

2 - Elite team missing elite offensive talent

3 - Mediocre team with elite offensive talent

4 - Medicore team without elite offensive talent

5 - Shit team

I feel like slowly, but surely, the spread between tier 1 and the rest of those tiers is growing further and further apart. This reality doesn't make itself apparent in the regular season, but when teams are giving 110% every night it shows itself.

Currently the matchups are like this:

Nucks (Tier 3ish) vs. Predators (Tier 4)

Oilers (Tier 1) vs. Kings (Tier 4)

Avalanche (Tier 1) vs. Jets (Tier 2)

Stars (Tier 2) vs. Knights (Tier 2)

Rangers (Tier 1) vs. Capitals (Tier 4)

Bruins (Tier 2) vs. Leafs (Tier 3)

Hurricanes (Tier 2) vs. Islanders (Tier 4)

Panthers (Tier 1) vs. Lightning (Tier 3ish)

Other than the Nucks/Predators series which should be much closer than it is, the only other series that is close is Stars/Knights - the two teams without elite talent. Elite talent is a massive, massive advantage that shows itself much more in the playoffs than through 82.

Last edited:

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
No problem.

That said I cannot remember a time in the last decade where there was so much contempt out here for the Leafs. If they lose tonight there will be ugly ugly coverage with Marner and Tavares firmly in the spotlight is my guess.
What a harsh reminder of the fishbowl that hockey is. Must be almost unbearable for Leafs players, as they get more media venom than the Jays and Raptors.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I think the league is morphing into five tiers of teams:

1 - Elite Team with elite offensive talent

2 - Elite team missing elite offensive talent

3 - Mediocre team with elite offensive talent

4 - Medicore team without elite offensive talent

5 - Shit team

I feel like slowly, but surely, the spread between tier 1 and the rest of those tiers is growing further and further apart. This reality doesn't make itself apparent in the regular season, but when teams are giving 110% every night it shows itself.

Currently the matchups are like this:

Nucks (Tier 3ish) vs. Predators (Tier 4)

Oilers (Tier 1) vs. Kings (Tier 4)

Avalanche (Tier 1) vs. Jets (Tier 2)

Stars (Tier 2) vs. Knights (Tier 2)

Rangers (Tier 1) vs. Capitals (Tier 4)

Bruins (Tier 2) vs. Leafs (Tier 3)

Hurricanes (Tier 2) vs. Islanders (Tier 4)

Panthers (Tier 1) vs. Lightning (Tier 3ish)

Other than the Nucks/Predators series which should be much closer than it is, the only other series that is close is Stars/Knights - the two teams without elite talent. Elite talent is a massive, massive advantage that shows itself much more in the playoffs than through 82.
I think this playoffs has been an anomaly. Because all the predictions had most of the series going 6 or 7 by the media and by many people on here. Because of the parity and how close teams were this season. It has just been a wacky playoffs. For all we know next year it could be super competitive again. Too small of a sample size.

Healthy enough to play 30 minutes a game chasing 70 meaningless regular season goals but can't play in the teams most important game of the year where his personal stats don't matter.
To be fair he was great in game 2 and hasn't been the same since then. Clearly he's hurt and can't go. Fact is the Leafs have more than enough talent to handle his absence but players like Marner and Nylander have been practically invisible. Your best players have to show up if they are in the line up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad