GDT: Around the League 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Tkachuk has scored 70+ points twice in his career to date. I don't understand how he could be described as a generational talent. Certainly he's a good hockey player but his playoff performance hasn't been overwhelming.

Reactions: AM and TB12

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Tkachuk has scored 70+ points twice in his career to date. I don't understand how he could be described as a generational talent. Certainly he's a good hockey player but his playoff performance hasn't been overwhelming.
Over half of his playoff goals have been against an empty net or Koskinen (aka an empty net)

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
He can be described as anything. Doesn't make it so. Especially coming from a poo flinging GM who staked 2 cornerstones of an elite team and even more future for a status quo production replacement winger. Florida will get the clown show that comes with this player... maybe this element is the generational element "No Picks" Zito is referring to.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There's a 1.5 times great coefficient applied to any Flames player. Close to the 1.7 fictional coefficient applied to any Leafs player. I mean Tanev is generational because Flames. Ratmus Anderson is a star D because Flames. Get with the program. ;)

He's not even the generational talent in his own family.
This classic post is underrated. How come no more likes? heh

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Over half of his playoff goals have been against an empty net or Koskinen (aka an empty net)
Quite right.

Take away the first game of the Oiler series and how many goals did he have in the big playoff games?

I think Tre got the Flames a very good deal considering the circumstances.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The way to look at the Flames return in the trade is that Huberdeau is 29 and Weeger is 28. Tkachuk is 24.

hub put it together this season but most of career has been under ppg and is not that much of a scorer. Hit high of 30 this season. Most times he's a 20 something goal guy. Who is going to score in Calgary? Hubs got elevated pt totals in Florida because its the EC plus a lot of scoring talent around him. Won't be so lively in Calgary.

My honest take is Huberdeau disappears when the going gets tough. Perfect player for Calgary. Always thought Weegar was overrated. Florida blowing it up real good though. That they are sending these two in trade pretty much confirms my takes on little futures being expected from either.

Still it feels good not to have to see Tkachuk around anymore. Got tired of looking at that weasel.

Last edited:

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
The way to look at the Flames return in the trade is that Huberdeau is 29 and Weeger is 28. Tkachuk is 24.

hub put it together this season but most of career has been under ppg and is not that much of a scorer. Hit high of 30 this season. Most times he's a 20 something goal guy. Who is going to score in Calgary? Hubs got elevated pt totals in Florida because its the EC plus a lot of scoring talent around him. Won't be so lively in Calgary.

My honest take is Huberdeau disappears when the going gets tough. Perfect player for Calgary. Always thought Weegar was overrated. Florida blowing it up real good though. That they are sending these two in trade pretty much confirms my takes on little futures being expected from either.

Still it feels good not to have to see Tkachuk around anymore. Got tired of looking at that weasel.
Not that I necessarily disagree with your post, but Huberdeau has been over a PPG for 4 years. I mean I knows he's from 2011 but that's a fairly long recent track record to say he's a PPG player.

Like I said though I don't disagree that his point totals likely drop like a stone in Calgary.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not that I necessarily disagree with your post, but Huberdeau has been over a PPG for 4 years. I mean I knows he's from 2011 but that's a fairly long recent track record to say he's a PPG player.

Like I said though I don't disagree that his point totals likely drop like a stone in Calgary.
Yeah, in checking his career I noticed last number of seasons he's exceeded PPG. Always thought it took him a longtime to get his allstar legs. First half of career was underwhelming.

We're agreed he probably doesn't hit PPG in Calgary. No reason to think he's there more than a season either. Or Weegar.

Flames in a world of hurt. I can't look away.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Yeah, in checking his career I noticed last number of seasons he's exceeded PPG. Always thought it took him a longtime to get his allstar legs. First half of career was underwhelming.

We're agreed he probably doesn't hit PPG in Calgary. No reason to think he's there more than a season either. Or Weegar.

Flames in a world of hurt. I can't look away.
Lol oil fans grabbing pop corn. Unfortunately at minimum because of weegar they probably are harder to play against next season vs last but have less offense unless they can somehow pull off another trade for a high end forward.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Lol oil fans grabbing pop corn. Unfortunately at minimum because of weegar they probably are harder to play against next season vs last but have less offense unless they can somehow pull off another trade for a high end forward.

No worries, all they need to do is bring a heavy forecheck and Weakgar will cough up the puck for the GWG against in the last minute.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
No worries, all they need to do is bring a heavy forecheck and Weakgar will cough up the puck for the GWG against in the last minute.
Yeah. You know my opinion of most EC clubs and EC play. Some weaksauce there defensively and in terms of battle level. Players that haven't played for a WC team, whole different matter. Seems like so many EC games teams put up 6 goals in a game, or more. Commonplace. So that Hubs or Weegar have their pts totals elevated like that, and being on a fairly deep team. Lots of PP pts in there as well. But how many times you see the out of town scoreboard and the Panthers are just loading up in regular season running up the score. So weak. They couldn't buy a goal in the playoffs. Same old same old.

Calgary Flames and Florida Panthers have to be the most overrated clubs of the last season. Wouldn't bet a nickel on either and said so. I never really got all the Weegar hype. I watch him and he doesn't stand out.

Weakgar. lol

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Yeah. You know my opinion of most EC clubs and EC play. Some weaksauce there defensively and in terms of battle level. Players that haven't played for a WC team, whole different matter. Seems like so many EC games teams put up 6 goals in a game, or more. Commonplace. So that Hubs or Weegar have their pts totals elevated like that, and being on a fairly deep team. Lots of PP pts in there as well. But how many times you see the out of town scoreboard and the Panthers are just loading up in regular season running up the score. So weak. They couldn't buy a goal in the playoffs. Same old same old.

Calgary Flames and Florida Panthers have to be the most overrated clubs of the last season. Wouldn't bet a nickel on either and said so. I never really got all the Weegar hype. I watch him and he doesn't stand out.

Weakgar. lol

100% agreed. Honestly, I like the trade more for Florida than Calgary. Tkachuk is overrated but I’d rather have him for 8 years than Huberdeau and Weegar for (most likely) 1 year and a late 1st.

I think it’s more likely that Tkachuk finds another level in the playoffs at his age and with his “type of game” than those two. I was actually shocked to find out that Weegar was already almost 30. That absolutely brutal play to piss away the game and series was something you expect out of a young player like Bear, not a supposed vet. He’ll fit right in with the chokers down south

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
100% agreed. Honestly, I like the trade more for Florida than Calgary. Tkachuk is overrated but I’d rather have him for 8 years than Huberdeau and Weegar for (most likely) 1 year and a late 1st.

I think it’s more likely that Tkachuk finds another level in the playoffs at his age and with his “type of game” than those two. I was actually shocked to find out that Weegar was already almost 30. That absolutely brutal play to piss away the game and series was something you expect out of a young player like Bear, not a supposed vet. He’ll fit right in with the chokers down south
Yep. I actually think Tkachuk was kind of indifferent playing in Calgary, and if we recall he was on the outs there as recently as year ago. There were numerous fractions on that Flames club and only Sutter coming in calmed that shit down for one year. I see Gaudreau and Tkachuk as two types of players and with the latter having more glue to his game. One could at least think he shows up in playoffs. Not so much with Johnny hockey...

We know Hubs and Weegar have never shown up in playoffs. They must golf or something. Oh well, lots of links for them here in the province. They'll need it. Judging from lots of comments around the board looks like the Weegar love is over after the playoffs. Even from Florida fans. Again I never understood the hype. Some even suggesting he was an analytics darling and media darling and the latter strickly on physical appearance and "boyish looks". Seems like the ladies like him. I have no time for his idiot mistakes. Look forward to the Oiler schooling Weegar like we do with chopped Anderson.

Have to say it puts a smile on my face that the last time Tkachuk/Hockey Boy were ever seen at Saddlesore was the Oilers stomping them 4 games in a row. Special that the Flames lost series on home ice. The tears in Calgary keep flowing. Could start another flood.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Photo of Huberdeau, Weegar and Schwindt arriving for the Flames

824cfd395ca84985dcae82edf359a764--soul-food-le.jpg

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007

I'd like to also add that Huberdeau had 38 power-play points last season on a Florida powerplay that was top 5 in the league. He's never really put up solid even strength numbers in his career and I doubt that changes in Cowpoop.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

That’s the sad part. Much like the Blackhawk scandal, other than Westhead and a few others, there was silence from the media. Only after the story became too public for them to ignore any longer did they weigh in. And the same thing here. A thousand tweets on the Chucky trade, but a few random ones on the HC scandals.

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I'd like to also add that Huberdeau had 38 power-play points last season on a Florida powerplay that was top 5 in the league. He's never really put up solid even strength numbers in his career and I doubt that changes in Cowpoop.
That still puts him at 77 non pp points about triple our guy we picked #1 a couple spots before him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad