OT: Around The League: 2018-2019 - Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
This year is probably the first year in a while our AHL team is actually filled with young players and not so many AHL vets ( still a few but every team has some ) . IRC they also added a AHL goalie coach prior to last season. So hopefully things are getting better in that department.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
By the way i'm not defending Nill here i'm saying Nieuwendyk was worse and much worse than you remember bringing him up to trash Nill is just incorrect.
We'll agree to disagree on that point. Newy had 1 year (12-13) where he was free to do anything meaningful, It also coincided with yet another lockout.
The team has been mediocre through almost all of Nills seasons and he's had unlimited money to do any/everything he wanted.
The team was Mediocre through Newys tenure, but for most of it (sometime in 09-10 When the NHL had to handle finances) to Nov of 2011 (11-12 season) Newy was restricted in everything he could do.
Winning 143 games in his 4 years (out of 294) .48%

Nill has had Free reign to spend to the cap, and do whatever he wanted.
Winning 165 of 328 .50 (through the same time frame 4yrs) And if all 6yrs inclued he's at a win % of .50 still (Includes the worst Stars record in 20+yrs)

if Newy was worse, and "Much worse than I remember" and Maybe he is
Nill is infinitely worse than I think he is, unlimited resources and a .02% improvement in win rate.

I'm not saying I want Newy back, but think he should get a fair shot at a GM position without the hindrances he had to see what he can actually do.
More than anything I just want Nill gone, but more so than Nill, I want McDonnel gone. but one doesn't happen without the other most likely

Reactions: ZeHockeyFan

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
I know it’s just one player, but I wonder how things would’ve gone had Peverly’s career not been cut short. That’s not something Nill could have exactly forseen.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I thought Newy did a good job with what he had to work with

He blew it with Glennie Correct me if I'm work, but didnt Glennie have a terrible off ice attitude or something?

But Newy was a part of 4 drafts and had 25 draft picks over those drafts. 13 of those picks have played at least 80 games ( Campbell is at 24, but will probably play alot more eventually )

Nill has been apart of 6 drafts and has had 44 picks ( I know the last couple drafts kind of mess this up ) and has a total of 7 guys that have played over 20 games ( Gury is at 13 )

My god, I knew Nills drafting was bad, but not that bad. The past 5 drafts only 5 picks have played in the NHL and one of those is Dylan Ferguson who played a game with Vegas when they had 38 goalies on IR

Also one is Heiskanen who almost no one could have messed up

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well whatever back to topic.

Seems like we've traded poor Devin Shore to a team thats a much bigger mess than ours.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Both Elie and Smith now also got waived by the teams that picked them up.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Devin Shore scored his first goal as a Duck tonight in their 9-3 loss

Well at least something but the Ducks are a huge mess. Feel a bit bad for Shore. Eaves at least good a somewhat big contract after we traded him. Unsuprisingly he couldn't stay healthy once he left. That guy is just unlucky as hell.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Antoine Roussel has the same amount of points as Jason Spezza this season but in 3 less games. Good for him getting paid and producing. Wouldn't have signed him to that contract still but its nice to see he's living up to it this season at least

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Antoine Roussel has the same amount of points as Jason Spezza this season but in 3 less games. Good for him getting paid and producing. Wouldn't have signed him to that contract still but its nice to see he's living up to it this season at least
I would have to look but I'd venture a guess that 0 of his points come from being handed 2mins of pp time a game too

serp

Jan 17, 2016
By the way Kris Russel is still doing Kris Russel things in Edmonton. Still easily the worst trade Nill ever made . At least we didn't even try to re-sign him . He is not a good defenseman.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
By the way Kris Russel is still doing Kris Russel things in Edmonton. Still easily the worst trade Nill ever made . At least we didn't even try to re-sign him . He is not a good defenseman.
Nothing came of Pollock or Jokipakka. Calgary got exactly one good prospect out of a late 2nd round pick. And knowing Dallas they would have picked a dud anyhow.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Nothing came of Pollock or Jokipakka. Calgary got exactly one good prospect out of a late 2nd round pick. And knowing Dallas they would have picked a dud anyhow.

But Kris Russel was bad here. Even if the assets didn't amount to anything the player we got was bad.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The way the whole defense looked in the playoffs was why i and i think the majority here actually agreed we should be careful about re-signing any of the three of Goose , Demers and Russell . I don't think anyone ever wanted to keep Russell . Hell he didn't get a contract offer he liked until really late in Free Agency ( October ) and that was just a 1 year deal with the Oilers.

Yes the team took a massive step back next season but i hate all the contracts that their new teams signed our UFA defenseman to.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The thing i hated most about Russel and still think makes him bad defender is how he will lay down on the ice to block shots and taking himself out of plays. It's his go to move The team now also blocks alot of shots but nobody is doing snow angels on the ice like Russell does to do so.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
The thing i hated most about Russel and still think makes him bad defender is how he will lay down on the ice to block shots and taking himself out of plays. It's his go to move The team now also blocks alot of shots but nobody is doing snow angels on the ice like Russell does to do so.

When a player’s hallmark is blocking shots, he simply isn’t good.

Reactions: serp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad