OT: Around The League: 2018-2019 - Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

northstars

May 11, 2016
Saskatchewan
Yeah Oleksiak is a great fighter for today’s league standards. I’m surprised Wilson handled him so easy, especially since Oleksiak held his own against a guy like Stewart twice.
Wilson basically got a couple of punches in before fight even started. I would still take Oleksiak in a rematch. If you watch fight again Oleksiak is bent over and prone right off the bat. That's basically all she wrote

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Probably because he spent 45 mins a night sitting on the bench for ~30 or so games per year with Dallas.
I don't know i remember him not beeing overly physical and barely using his body in his first few seasons here and i have no recollection of him fighting prior to 2016-ish. Maybe i'm wrong but in my memory he was never a fighter until very recently.
I don’t remember him using his size to an advantage as well. Hanzal has been good in corners, behind the net and one on ones since being back; not a fighter though of course.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Looking at the slowmo, I don’t see anything to suspend him over. Maybe from different angle but that one does not look bad to me.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Looking at the slowmo, I don’t see anything to suspend him over. Maybe from different angle but that one does not look bad to me.

There was contact to the body first it looked like and then his shoulder also hit Wagner in the head. Maybe a game or 2 but who knows. The injury makes it look worse than it is

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Karlsson with another 3 points tonight. 25 points in his last 14 games now...41 points in 43 games on the season. This bounceback is just crazy. He would've been such a good addition to this team and now he and the Sharks plan on discussing a possible contract extension after the All-Star break

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Doesn't matter now . Seemed like Ottawa was hellbent on the Stars giving them Heiskanen or trading him whereever else. Now of course they took magic beans from the Sharks but even with how good Karlsson looks now there was no way trading Heiskanen was ever something we could pull the trigger on.

The thing is scoring from the blueline has actually been outstanding this year for the Stars and thats with Klingberg missing almost 20 games.

What the team really needs is one or two forwards who can score.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Doesn't matter now . Seemed like Ottawa was hellbent on the Stars giving them Heiskanen or trading him whereever else. Now of course they took magic beans from the Sharks but even with how good Karlsson looks now there was no way trading Heiskanen was ever something we could pull the trigger on.

Josh Norris
Balcers
Tierney

Good PR move by Nill to make fans think OTT wanted Heiskanen or bust. Either way you flip it, it’s on him that we didn’t land EK.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Yeah I'm definitely still happy we held out on that. Now holding out on Dellandrea or Hintz or someone else though...that I'm not too happy about if it's true...

Still can't believe how close we were to landing him

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Josh Norris
Balcers
Tierney

Good PR move by Nill to make fans think OTT wanted Heiskanen or bust. Either way you flip it, it’s on him that we didn’t land EK.

I still have no idea why Ottawa took that package .

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Still don't think Karlsson is really what the team needs . It need forwards who can put the puck in the net that aren't Seguin , Benn or Radulov . Spezza and Shore cooled off alot now our 3 good defenseman are all catching up to them or have already caught them in scoring.

Last edited:
Reactions: ItsBennGreat

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Still don't think Karlsson is really what the team needs . It needs someone who can put the puck in the net that isn't Seguin , Benn or Radulov . Spezza and Shore cooled off alot now our 3 good defenseman are all catching up to them or have already caught them in scoring.

Not sure how you can say this when Dallas has dressed Hanley, Carrick, Honka, Gleason, etc etc on D this year.

Put EK65 on the ice and you have a guy that can make Janmark, Shore, etc, better because that’s what Karlsson does. His ability to effectively distribute the puck is top of the league.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Not sure how you can say this when Dallas has dressed Hanley, Carrick, Honka, Gleason, etc etc on D this year.

Put EK65 on the ice and you have a guy that can make Janmark, Shore, etc, better because that’s what Karlsson does. His ability to effectively distribute the puck is top of the league.

I don't think putting those players into positions to score is the problem. All of them have plenty of scoring chances every game . They just don't score on them. Nobody outside the topline can finish anything with any kind of regularity . Today was another one of those . Quite a few chances but only the big guns score . Didn't even hit the net on most shots .

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I don't think putting those players into positions to score is the problem. All of them have plenty of scoring chances every game . They just don't score on them. Nobody outside the topline can finish anything with any kind of regularity . Today was another one of those . Quite a few chances but only the big guns score . Didn't even hit the net on most shots .

That’s how hockey works. If you can get a player like Karlsson that increases the frequency of scoring chances that the forwards can get, you’ll score more goals. I’m not worried about finishing ability of NHL players (maybe Nichushkin), and I think shots go in at random a lot more frequently than fans realize.

Reactions: Kcb12345

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well you may be right but it doesn't matter now , Karlsson is a Shark now but the team seriously need to do SOMETHING to get more scoring.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
On a positive note Klingberg after taking some games to get back to game speed is looking much better now and maybe that helps someone else to score more.

Reactions: Kcb12345

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
We need both. (if we intend to make the playoffs)
I think everyone that thinks our D is okay is fooling themselves.

We super lucked into Heiskanen being relatively Dahlin equivalent and he's showed up early and often this season. It's sad Methot/Johns/Hanzal have all been so hurt for so long,
but we need that money to pay for people to play minutes for us- Especially now that our goaltending tandem makes saves at a respectable rate.
(We could also use some hot hot GMJN2.0 'hockey' trades)

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Ideally you want Polak on third pair and mainly used on the PK and other in situations you're caved in anyway. Fedun-Carrick/Honka is not sufficient as a third pairing especially not with how Honka and worse Carrick looked. Best case is Johns or Methot comes back after the two weeks Stars have off soon and we have

Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen-Johns / Methot-Heiskanen
Fedun-Polak

but thats not something we can rely on to actually happen.

If you trade for a defender that means you have to also get rid of some one the bottom-pairing guys we started collecting .

Last edited:

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Jack Campbell is leading the league in save percentage and GAA. That's special.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Jack Campbell is leading the league in save percentage and GAA. That's special.
Honestly, I think it’s great for him. He’s has a tough road and it must be so satisfying for him to become the player many people thought that he would be. I’m glad to see players succeed even if it’s elsewhere. If/when the Stars trade players away this season, I want those players to succeed just as I would want the new Stars to succeed in Dallas. Benn is a great example of this. His play lately has been annoying, but I want him to succeed... albeit somewhere other than Dallas.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Huberdeau calling out the Panthers on only making the playoffs once since hes been there. I'm not saying the frustration isn't here too necessarily but it's nice to hear it publicly from the room. When's the last time Dallas had a team or players only meeting when things werent going well?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Huberdeau calling out the Panthers on only making the playoffs once since hes been there. I'm not saying the frustration isn't here too necessarily but it's nice to hear it publicly from the room. When's the last time Dallas had a team or players only meeting when things werent going well?

Couple of weeks ago IRC just things usually don't spill over to the media. Monty talked about how there was a meeting .

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Chiarelli getting fired soon.

Dear god I hope he’s not next for us if we fire Nill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad