Around the League 2018-19 v6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Go look at Hamilton's PDO. Alternatively, read this article: Dellow: No, Dougie Hamilton's on-ice shot numbers aren't...

Pretty crazy how people still don't understand the effects that on ice sh% and sv% can have on a players stats.

Lol, I understand it perfectly and for clarification I'm not saying that Hamilton is as bad as his stats suggest, but I do think it's hilarious to see him perform so badly for someone you consider an elite #1D and top10 d in the league. It's pretty clear that he is not even close to that territory.

Pretty crazy how people still don't understand that advanced stats isn't the be-all and end-all in player evaluation ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Giordano should have been there ahead of Karlsson and Burns. And Drai over Pavelski.
There just is no sense to anything anymore.

Drai over Pavelski or Keller.

Doughty not so great either at this point in his career.

It would be amazing, and probable, for Drai not to be in the allstar game despite now being one of he leagues best players. Life in the shadow of McDavid.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Petersson.

Great player. But to me yet another illustration of how poor the NHL is at player development, in general, in the modern era. It seems that once players are here for any length of time they get sucked into a vacuum of systems and positioning and team related schemes and that their skills often take a back seat. As well due to not practicing fundamental skills as much as should occur.

So that we often see relatively new players to the league, whether it be Panarin, Karlsson(vegas, last season) or Petersson coming in cold and lighting it up. Petersson is doing what should be in the tool kit of most NHL Players. He's shooting the puck well, into places, picking target and putting it there. With todays graphite stick technology we should be seeing better, not worse puck control. Yet in any NHL contest you see players not being able to even shoot the puck well enough to pick spots. Its uncanny at the highest level of play that this doesn't occur more.

Petersson with his shooting, his stop hold and pass plays and seeing ice is doing what many more players should be able to do, and would be if they kept improving and honing their craft. Instead it seems we often see complacency and players that just settle into an NHL career. Its easy to get an impression at times that only 10% of the players have any burning desire to become appreciably better.

Its an embarrassment to veteran players league wide that rookies can now come into the league and just own it and make it look easy. No knock on Petersson. But theres few pro sports where rookies would hit the ground running and own the league to this degree. Essentially the play of most of NHLers is not much better than it was when Gretz entered the league. except all these plumbers are getting paid 10X more now..

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Petersson.

Great player. But to me yet another illustration of how poor the NHL is at player development, in general, in the modern era. It seems that once players are here for any length of time they get sucked into a vacuum of systems and positioning and team related schemes and that their skills often take a back seat. As well due to not practicing fundamental skills as much as should occur.

So that we often see relatively new players to the league, whether it be Panarin, Karlsson(vegas, last season) or Petersson coming in cold and lighting it up. Petersson is doing what should be in the tool kit of most NHL Players. He's shooting the puck well, into places, picking target and putting it there. With todays graphite stick technology we should be seeing better, not worse puck control. Yet in any NHL contest you see players not being able to even shoot the puck well enough to pick spots. Its uncanny at the highest level of play that this doesn't occur more.

Petersson with his shooting, his stop hold and pass plays and seeing ice is doing what many more players should be able to do, and would be if they kept improving and honing their craft. Instead it seems we often see complacency and players that just settle into an NHL career. Its easy to get an impression at times that only 10% of the players have any burning desire to become appreciably better.

Its an embarrassment to veteran players league wide that rookies can now come into the league and just own it and make it look easy. No knock on Petersson. But theres few pro sports where rookies would hit the ground running and own the league to this degree. Essentially the play of most of NHLers is not much better than it was when Gretz entered the league. except all these plumbers are getting paid 10X more now..

I mean this happens in the NFL and NBA regularly. Maybe not so much the MLB but from time to time.

If you are so shocked about how good rookies are these days thats more a reflection on you, not the vets.

Reactions: TB12

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Lol, I understand it perfectly and for clarification I'm not saying that Hamilton is as bad as his stats suggest, but I do think it's hilarious to see him perform so badly for someone you consider an elite #1D and top10 d in the league. It's pretty clear that he is not even close to that territory.

Pretty crazy how people still don't understand that advanced stats isn't the be-all and end-all in player evaluation ;)
I don't think he's performing poorly, he's just had some terrible luck. When I've watched him this season, he's looked like the same player he's always been.

It's really odd that they insist on playing Faulk on PP1 over him.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
With todays graphite stick technology we should be seeing better, not worse puck control.

Graphite sticks are harder to feel the puck with, not easier. It's the main reason that Markus Naslund stuck with wood for so long. You get a better shot, but worse stick handling.

Reactions: subnet and TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I mean this happens in the NFL and NBA regularly. Maybe not so much the MLB but from time to time.

If you are so shocked about how good rookies are these days thats more a reflection on you, not the vets.

What a strange take from what I stated.

In ANY endeavor experience should be of value, it should hold some kind of weight in direct competition. Basically what Peterssons massive success this year (I mean he's being one of the very best players in the league as a rookie) means is that a lot of talented vets that should be playing much better than they are, are not.

When you responded to the post did you not give any thought to why Rookies, with no NHL experience, are being this good at this level?

In all the instances I noted these are not generational talents. These are simply players that came into the NHL with all kinds of drive and mojo and took the league over. But where is that in more of the established pro's in the league?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Graphite sticks are harder to feel the puck with, not easier. It's the main reason that Markus Naslund stuck with wood for so long. You get a better shot, but worse stick handling.

Thanks for this comment. Does everybody feel that way? I've only experimented with a graphite stick lent to me, I never bought one but I liked what it did to my shot. Similarly in tennis I love the graphite racquets I've been using for decades. I've not noted having more trouble controlling, just that the graphite exerts more force and velocity so you compensate.

This would be a fascinating thread if anybody wanted to start it. Graphite vs wood, pros and cons.

Afairc Ryan Smyth never went Carbon, I'm not denying what you are stating, could be something to it, but if a player like an Eberle is lacking touch with a Graphite stick than it makes all kinds of sense to go back to wood. If what you're saying is true, then players that make their living scoring around the net only, they should be using wood.

Finally, its still a mattery of mastery. Its quite clear Petersoon has mastered his stick. He puts it wherever he wants and with great consistency. So other great players should be able to.

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW

Thanks for this comment. Does everybody feel that way? I've only experimented with a graphite stick lent to me, I never bought one but I liked what it did to my shot. Similarly in tennis I love the graphite racquets I've been using for decades. I've not noted having more trouble controlling, just that the graphite exerts more force and velocity so you compensate.

This would be a fascinating thread if anybody wanted to start it. Graphite vs wood, pros and cons.

Afairc Ryan Smyth never went Carbon, I'm not denying what you are stating, could be something to it, but if a player like an Eberle is lacking touch with a Graphite stick than it makes all kinds of sense to go back to wood. If what you're saying is true, then players that make their living scoring around the net only, they should be using wood.

Finally, its still a mattery of mastery. Its quite clear Petersoon has mastered his stick. He puts it wherever he wants and with great consistency. So other great players should be able to.

What TwoShoes says - at least at a really low level player level (plus I'm damn old), you can feel wood so much better (there definitely is a joke in here), but the release/kick and velocity is so much better with composite sticks, it's not even close. They have worked hard on making the composites feel to be better, but it's still not there.

Your graphite tennis racquet also has a much larger sweet spot (I remember having a woodie Bjorn Borg racquet when I was young and the sweet spot was only if you hit it exactly in the middle), in addition to having more force/velocity. But back to sticks, there's a reason everyone uses modern composites (is there anyone left who uses even a wood blade ala Smyth, anymore?), and it's the extreme velocity and fast release you can get, especially on snap-shots. If it's a big banging slap shot, the fast release isn't as important as velocity and accuracy. Plus the composites are extremely consistant, unlike wood.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Flames are a good team. Maybe if our management didn’t have their heads up their asses we wouldn’t be a horrible team.

The fact that even the Canucks are better than us is flat out embarrassing.

Reactions: OilCountry93
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad