Around the League - 2015-2016 (Part VI - Playoff Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I always thought that the Olympics was supposed to be amateur athletes anyways.

If you are a figure skater, and turn pro, your Olympic career is over.

Are there any true amateurs left? Track athletes get paid. Figure skaters get paid.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I always thought that the Olympics was supposed to be amateur athletes anyways.

If you are a figure skater, and turn pro, your Olympic career is over.

Are there any true amateurs left? Track athletes get paid. Figure skaters get paid.

^This.

Amateurism in the Olympics is long dead. Look at basketball in the summer just for one more example.

Where will the players come from for Olympic hockey? Wherever it is someone is going to have to pay for travel and insurance. Insurance will might be cheaper but not if the team is made up of young players who still have NHL aspirations.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Are the Olympics in financial trouble now that the flow of bribe revenue has dried up? Or am I naïve in thinking that it has?

:laugh: The expenses have to be paid out of the revenue generated by the event. The event generates a lot of revenue. That's why bribes are paid in the first place. To get that revenue. They are just one of the expenses. Travel and insurance are another expense. The hockey tournament with the best players in it is the showcase event. If the best players are not there the interest level will be much lower. The TV rights will be worth much less. With the games in Korea China will be the big TV market. What winter sport goes over big in China? Curling?

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
^This.

Amateurism in the Olympics is long dead. Look at basketball in the summer just for one more example.

Where will the players come from for Olympic hockey? Wherever it is someone is going to have to pay for travel and insurance. Insurance will might be cheaper but not if the team is made up of young players who still have NHL aspirations.

Yes this is true. But Basketball was really the first sport to do this IIRC.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1013577?

The International Olympic Committee is reportedly unwilling to cover transportation and insurance costs required to have NHL players participate in the event, International Ice Hockey Federation president Rene Fasel told Inside the Games at the SportAccord Convention in Lausanne, Switzerland.

"Our wish is to have the best players," Fasel said. "(But the IOC) not covering the cost as they did at the last five Olympic Games puts us in a difficult financial situation.

"We still have challenges - it is even more difficult than before."

I love Olympic Hockey, but, I hate the IOC.

The NHL is shutting down their season and lending their product to the IOC and the IOC can't even pay the expenses.

Worse, they will not allow the NHL to use any video or pictures of Olympic Hockey on the NHL Website.

Screw you IOC.

As for the Kings, I bet they wished they were able to hold onto that 3-0 lead they had on the Jets 2 weeks ago.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes this is true. But Basketball was really the first sport to do this IIRC.

I recall hockey being at the front. The problem was the communist countries support for so-called amateur athletes. It was a part of the Cold War. National pride and government political goals lead them to keep athletes very well and pretend they were amateur. Hockey was one of the places where the clash was most obvious because it was big in the Soviet Union.

Doesn't matter what was first though. Once they allowed pros in one sport they couldn't maintain the fiction of amateurism in others. It became accepted that 'best on best' was more important than the obsolete ideals of amateurism.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
There goes my work pool

Interesting I got into a large 32 team charity pool and you only pick 7 players. To win with 32 teams you have to be bold after your first pick so A buddy and I went with Sharks players because you get double points for PP and they're top end talent is very productive. High risk team because of their history with LA but I liked their goaltending much more this year so we took the shot. Currently we are in 1st place in that pool and if Washington and the Sharks meet in the final we have a pretty good shot at winning. Now I doubt the Sharks make it to the cup but I have no regrets about the risk.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Interesting I got into a large 32 team charity pool and you only pick 7 players. To win with 32 teams you have to be bold after your first pick so A buddy and I went with Sharks players because you get double points for PP and they're top end talent is very productive. High risk team because of their history with LA but I liked their goaltending much more this year so we took the shot. Currently we are in 1st place in that pool and if Washington and the Sharks meet in the final we have a pretty good shot at winning. Now I doubt the Sharks make it to the cup but I have no regrets about the risk.

Wouldnt be surprised at all if sharks made the finals. I think 3rd round will be stl/chi v sjs. And it could go either way there.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Chicago is starting to Chicago in this series and St Louis is starting to St Louis. Feels like it's the Groundhog Day movie. San Jose overcame their nemesis so maybe the Blues can?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
No reason to think that St. Louis can't beat Chicago, they have done it 3 times why not a 4th, they match up really well with them.

Just the recent history, Chicago has owned them in the playoffs but we'll :crossfing

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Philly and Minnesota both eliminated today. So for sure, it's going to be Pittsburgh vs Washington in the second round. Should be a great match up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad