Around the League - 2015/16 Edition Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Calgary loses 6-4 and they get the 2nd and 3rd star lol

Par for the course. They just keep putting lipstick on a pig and their fans and the national media keep buying in.

They get jacked up for 4+ goals more than anyone, but they have the "best D in the west." Ya. Sure.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Par for the course. They just keep putting lipstick on a pig and their fans and the national media keep buying in.

They get jacked up for 4+ goals more than anyone, but they have the "best D in the west." Ya. Sure.

none of this stuff bothers me at all as long as they miss the playoffs. Its actually become kind of an ongoing unintended comedy relief to this season.

Even on a larger civic scale so much Calgary angst is good for some Shadenfreude..

One of the rare times things are going much better for Edmonton all round.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Leafs getting blown out 7-1. This game may go down as biggest talent discprency ever. The leafs are a joke. Karma will make them lose the draft lotto

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I watched the Ducks/Flames playoff series tonight just for s**** and giggles.

Man did they over-achieve last season. I forgot how much of a force Hudler and Wideman were. Not to mention, Ramo was playing like Kipper 2.0.

Even though they got pushed around and dominated in the series 4-1, they still looked light-years ahead in talent than this season.

Eskie Jetski

Jun 25, 2004
Calgary's goaltending is atrocious.

I wonder if they miss Brossoit.
RwOdsFW.gif

Both Ramo and Hiller are UFAs this offseason and Ortio doesn't impress anyone. So what's Calgary's solution to that? James Reimer is probably the only UFA option, so do they just sign Ramo once more or do they have to make a trade like we did last year with Cam Talbot?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
seeing all the Canadian teams sucking is hilarious...yet I cringe at the thought of Vancouver or Calgary winning the lottery

I honestly hope Toronto wins the draft lottery...just so Leaf fans can stop crying about McDavid

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I watched the Ducks/Flames playoff series tonight just for s**** and giggles.

Man did they over-achieve last season. I forgot how much of a force Hudler and Wideman were. Not to mention, Ramo was playing like Kipper 2.0.

Even though they got pushed around and dominated in the series 4-1, they still looked light-years ahead in talent than this season.

Gio regressed a bit as well. Monahan hit a wall and looks pretty average, if that. Only guy playing the same is JG and Brodie

They got Bennett and Hamilton to "offset" regression, but both have been meh

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Man did Neilson lose it about Kane. "Why do we talk about this guy so much, most overrated guy in league."

Didn't realize he has the 3rd highest toi/gp behind ROR and Kopitar. Yet once again he's probably no where near that 30g that people expect. He is tough, but at 5.25mil you'd expect more.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Both Ramo and Hiller are UFAs this offseason and Ortio doesn't impress anyone. So what's Calgary's solution to that? James Reimer is probably the only UFA option, so do they just sign Ramo once more or do they have to make a trade like we did last year with Cam Talbot?

Is there a Cam Talbot out there to be had this year?

Maybe Andersen in Anaheim, but I'm not sure they really need to make that move just yet.

Don't sell Ramo short though. If you listen to Kelly Hrudey and Corey Hirsch he has solidified a starting position a la Martin Brodeur and is the next Kiprusoff.

McDeathbyCheerios*

none of this stuff bothers me at all as long as they miss the playoffs. Its actually become kind of an ongoing unintended comedy relief to this season.

Even on a larger civic scale so much Calgary angst is good for some Shadenfreude..

One of the rare times things are going much better for Edmonton all round.
They have much better d than us at the moment but still allow tons of goals. It's great

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
They have much better d than us at the moment but still allow tons of goals. It's great

2nd last in chances against and 2nd last in goals against (we are last in this one)

That D is actually really horrible haha. And worst thing is, Gio is getting up there in age and might decline soon. They got almost no D prospects either.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
2nd last in chances against and 2nd last in goals against (we are last in this one)

That D is actually really horrible haha. And worst thing is, Gio is getting up there in age and might decline soon. They got almost no D prospects either.

Not true if you talk to flames fans, Kylington is the next big thing since sliced bread.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Not true if you talk to flames fans, Kylington is the next big thing since sliced bread.
Tied for 3rd worse +/- on his ahl team with -7

And tied for 3rd in dman scoring in his team with 9.

Meh.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Just like when Wotherspoon was the next top pairing D 2 years ago. Cant even beat Ladislav friggen Smid out this year

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The not so hot Lightning lose yet again tonight to fall out of the playoff wildcard spot, are in the middle of a 11th hour Stamkos negotiation, and the Drouin controversy over their heads.

Worse still this was another home loss and only 10 home games left for a team that is very average on the road.

Tampa also having trouble scoring this year anywhere.

Johnson has 22 lol pts this year.

I'm loving this. :laugh:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The not so hot Lightning lose yet again tonight to fall out of the playoff wildcard spot, are in the middle of a 11th hour Stamkos negotiation, and the Drouin controversy over their heads.

Worse still this was another home loss and only 10 home games left for a team that is very average on the road.

Ahh yes Johnson got so overhyped. I remember when there was people on the main boards saying he was a top 15 centre. Its so obvious that Kucherov was the star on that line, just like Gaudreau was the star on Hudler's line.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

You have to wonder what is going on with that team. Yzerman who has looked so great up until now is in a pretty tough spot with Stamkos and Drouin. No matter what he does he is going to lose pretty much. Either let Stamkos walk for nothing or sign him to a ridiculous contract. Lose-lose. And Drouin acting like a spoiled brat. Those are two major distractions that this underperforming team doesn't need. If I was Yzerman I would've moved Stamkos but he has a full NMC so it seems that he has just blocked that option and put Stevie in a very bad spot. Not much loyalty shown from Stamkos there, a guy who is having his worst season since his rookie year. I mean, what're you gonna do?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You have to wonder what is going on with that team. Yzerman who has looked so great up until now is in a pretty tough spot with Stamkos and Drouin. No matter what he does he is going to lose pretty much. Either let Stamkos walk for nothing or sign him to a ridiculous contract. Lose-lose. And Drouin acting like a spoiled brat. Those are two major distractions that this underperforming team doesn't need. If I was Yzerman I would've moved Stamkos but he has a full NMC so it seems that he has just blocked that option and put Stevie in a very bad spot. Not much loyalty shown from Stamkos there, a guy who is having his worst season since his rookie year. I mean, what're you gonna do?

I can't imagine how bad that club would be without Stamkos this season (or many others) They would be the lowest scoring team in the league this year without Stamkos.

Perhaps you didn't see it coming, but I made a ton of references to it that the AHL line getting vaunted status last couple years was somewhat disruptive in upsetting the apple cart and hierarchy on that club. That Yzerman and coaching staff were full on stupid enough to treat that line as their saviors going forward and to disrespect Stamkos with limited minutes and less regard was going to have huge implications going forward.

The Johnson line in my mind was not much different than the Gagner, Nillson, Cogs rook line just that they got going earlier, were older, and all had the benefit of having played together in the AHL so were a seasoned line by the time they hit the NHL. With the benefit of the same coach as well.
Tampa would have done well to have treated that line like a limited time duration success just like I had said it would be and realize that their bread and butters were Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov. Those are the players on that team that drive production. Those are the players that determine how far you go.

The chemistry problem you see in Tampa is borne imo out of an org not realizing who their guys really are, or momentarily forgetting who they are.

To me Stamkos is to Tampa what Ovech is to Washington. Most people would see it that way.

But the overthinking in Tampa had it that they had a number of crown jewels. That cupboard is a whole lot less stacked than its thought to be.

The irony is that Drouin will likely be a better player elsewhwere than many of the guys Tampa rotate in topsix. Just that they played favorites in Tampa and picked some ill advised favorites.

Perhaps you're seeing this now.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Meanwhile the Kings look like scrubs lately. But the NHL will get them back on track.

Scrubs? lol

They're first place.

They outplayed the best team in the league last night on the road and deserved better than Caps getting a late winning goal in last 2mins.

They outshot the Caps in a game in which the kings were shorthanded 7 times. ironically scoring their goal on the pk.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

St. Louis, Stamkos, Drouin and now Deangelo. Might not all be Yzerman's fault, but that's a lot of disgruntled players and as soon as TB starts losing you have to wonder how loyal ownership is with Yzerman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad