Around the League - 2015/16 Edition Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SerbianEagle

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Can someone explain how Andrew Ladd is worth around the rumored $6M/year? I get that he is a defensively responsible forward who can chip in with points and goals...but at $6M/year, Winnipeg is better off trading him. His career high is 62 points...

If you take away his first season where he played 29 games and recorded 11 points, and then take away his best season where he scored 62 points, he is a very average offense producing player...to the tune of 43.9 points per season.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Can someone explain how Andrew Ladd is worth around the rumored $6M/year? I get that he is a defensively responsible forward who can chip in with points and goals...but at $6M/year, Winnipeg is better off trading him. His career high is 62 points...

If you take away his first season where he played 29 games and recorded 11 points, and then take away his best season where he scored 62 points, he is a very average offense producing player...to the tune of 43.9 points per season.

How often are guys that are 28+ ever signed to decent deals come their UFA year?

Ladd is a guy that plays a very rare style and is currently making 4.4mil.

It's just really the nature of the beast especially when you have guys like Clarkson and Bolland getting paid for their intangibles.

Also if he were to be a 60 point player 6mil isn't really that much. I just don't know that he ever gets there again.

SerbianEagle

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
How often are guys that are 28+ ever signed to decent deals come their UFA year?

Ladd is a guy that plays a very rare style and is currently making 4.4mil.

It's just really the nature of the beast especially when you have guys like Clarkson and Bolland getting paid for their intangibles.

Also if he were to be a 60 point player 6mil isn't really that much. I just don't know that he ever gets there again.

I agree with your first statement about guys 28+...we've seen the Oilers hand out a few contracts like that as well. Still, with Ladd, whoever signs him in the 6+M range will be trying to get rid of him two years later or sooner.

Especially when you look at some guys making that money, and while its UFA vs RFA and different periods, there is no way Ladd is ever worth more than say Tavares...UFA or not.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I agree with your first statement about guys 28+...we've seen the Oilers hand out a few contracts like that as well. Still, with Ladd, whoever signs him in the 6+M range will be trying to get rid of him two years later or sooner.

Especially when you look at some guys making that money, and while its UFA vs RFA and different periods, there is no way Ladd is ever worth more than say Tavares...UFA or not.

It's stupid, but it's just something that happens. Although last year things did seem to change and now with rumblings of teams not wanting to move picks who knows what happens.

The key thing to remember is a lot of GM's don't worry about the future cap. They worry about it when the time comes. For some guys they've had no issues and just give decent players away for really cheap. The other issue is GM's at times have a short shelf life.

Look at the move Murray made to bring in Phaneuf, I hate to say it but Murray isn't probably alive by the time that deal hurts Ottawa let alone employed by Ottawa as the GM. For most GM's if they don't make the moves to get better and play gun shy they'll be fired anyway. So you way the risk, if you are one piece away from being a true cup contender does 2-3 years of good Ladd out weigh the 2-3 bad years at the end?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Interesting. Jagr has more career GWG's than the Oilers have ROW's since we drafted Hall. Just need 4 more though to make that not true any more. Unless Jagr gets more GWG's that is and stays ahead. Not sure which is more likely at this point.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Hiller is brutal. Calgary's defense isn't much better either. Lots of money tied up there too.

I really hope they sign Ramo as their starter going into next year. Before he got hurt they were starting to tell themselves that he was starter material.

I'm not really sure who else they can go after.

Bet they wish they had Brossoit.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Now Eric Francis is going on about how much bad luck the Flames have had with injuries.

Cry me a river.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I really hope they sign Ramo as their starter going into next year. Before he got hurt they were starting to tell themselves that he was starter material.

I'm not really sure who else they can go after.

Bet they wish they had Brossoit.
Cam Ward and James Reimer are both UFAs. Frederik Andersen is an RFA and might be available through trade. No idea who else is out there.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Cam Ward and James Reimer are both UFAs. Frederik Andersen is an RFA and might be available through trade. No idea who else is out there.

I see Reimer and Andersen resigning. The Ducks have a ton of cap room and Gibson is still young, I don't see why it would make sense for them to deal Andersen yet unless they got a really good return. They need scoring and the Flames don't have any to give away.

Ward might make sense, but he's not that good either.

In any case, this makes me happy.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I see Reimer and Andersen resigning. The Ducks have a ton of cap room and Gibson is still young, I don't see why it would make sense for them to deal Andersen yet unless they got a really good return. They need scoring and the Flames don't have any to give away.

Ward might make sense, but he's not that good either.

In any case, this makes me happy.
Maybe the Flames will trade for Bernier. It has been rumoured for a few months now. He's signed through next season too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad