Around the League '16-'17 Road Trip Blues Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Props to Tavares for saying all the right things about wanting to resign there but you have to think he's already a Leaf. Why would he stay? Owners that don't care where the players play, the fact they practice and play at an arena 50 miles from where most of them live on bad ice that the NHL has already said was subpar in a venue with bad seats.

Guess they have 2 yrs to figure it out..they gone after 18/19
perhaps to Quebec, Seattle or uh...Queens

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/brooklyn-barclays-center-dumping-islanders-205122931.html

I think they stay in New York area. As for Tavares I think he leaves, however I am not sure about Toronto. With Mathews and all of their rookies needing new deal I am not sure they will have the space for him, and also I am not it makes sense that if they do to put that much of their cap into forwards.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I think they stay in New York area. As for Tavares I think he leaves, however I am not sure about Toronto. With Mathews and all of their rookies needing new deal I am not sure they will have the space for him, and also I am not it makes sense that if they do to put that much of their cap into forwards.

I think when they lost out on Stamkos, they had JT pencilled in and Matthews and Tavares down the middle is pretty solid. However, there is the CAP, as you pointed out. But they were in on Stamkos and made a bigger offer than he signed for, so you have to think they have a plan.
But there will be no shortage of teams that will be dialing up Tavares agent. He's as good a physical 2 way top line center and loaded with leadership. Huge fan of his game.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
what?? you'd throw away two cups just to have a chance at possibly winning more than 2 cups, even though there'd be no guarantee that you win even one? how does does this logic come anywhere close to making sense?

thats like blowing 100k on lotto tickets and saying 'well, i could theoretically win the lotto"

it doesnt make any ****ing sense dude

Just being sarcastic bro. The funny thing is that because some people actually believe this, posters are reasonable for taking my comment seriously.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Penner-Carter-Simmonds
King-Stoll-Lewis
Richardson-Fraser-Nolan

vs

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Penner-Richards-Carter
King-Stoll-Lewis
Richardson-Fraser-Nolan

What's the difference? And this doesn't include Quick, who was lights out and the defense of a prime Scuderi, Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez, Greene and Mitchell.

Sorry, people, I don't think Richards' instead of Simmonds or Schenn changed either Stanley Cup run. You can roll the dice on 2012 since Richards' was big in the 1st round vs Vancouver but he was invisible in 2014 and could have been subbed out with anyone. The system and team won both Cups, not one player.

The Kings team from 2012 steam rolled everyone because of the Sutter hiring, the calls up of Nolan & King and the Carter deal along with great goaltending, defense, owning the boards and corners, and of course Kopitar.

You are operating with the worst recency bias I have ever seen on these boards and that's saying something.

Obviously wasn't the same player from before but come on, that's because the player he was before was monstrous.

Oh and RIchards had 15 points in 20 playoff games in 2012 on top of everything else. Tied for 4th with williams, behind only Doughty, Kopitar, and nuclear Brown. I think people are continuing to undersell his impact because of how he fizzled out. "roll the dice" indeed.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I don't think the Kings win either cup without Richards. The 2014 playoffs was his last hurrah, I think that was all he had in the tank. I'm actually surprised he lasted that long after that concussion in the 2013 playoffs. I think that was the real end of MR, just one concussion too many. He just never was himself after that, and if he was playing scared, I absolutely don't blame him. Concussions are scary as hell, they can change who you are.

He was really good in the 2012 post season, excellent in 2013, and still contributed in 2014. That's just on the ice and not even taking into account his presence in the room. Don't think for a second he wasn't respected or inspirational to his teammates.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Penner-Carter-Simmonds
King-Stoll-Lewis
Richardson-Fraser-Nolan

vs

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Penner-Richards-Carter
King-Stoll-Lewis
Richardson-Fraser-Nolan

What's the difference? And this doesn't include Quick, who was lights out and the defense of a prime Scuderi, Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez, Greene and Mitchell.

Sorry, people, I don't think Richards' instead of Simmonds or Schenn changed either Stanley Cup run. You can roll the dice on 2012 since Richards' was big in the 1st round vs Vancouver but he was invisible in 2014 and could have been subbed out with anyone. The system and team won both Cups, not one player.

The Kings team from 2012 steam rolled everyone because of the Sutter hiring, the calls up of Nolan & King and the Carter deal along with great goaltending, defense, owning the boards and corners, and of course Kopitar.

Wow. Just wow. Do you not find it a coincidence that since Richards has not been on the Kings NHL roster that they have missed the playoffs and won 1 playoff game in 2 years? Richards WAS the prime leader, and a main staple of that 2012 run and beyond. Richards, along with Brown, was a key factor in the Kings sending the Canucks home quickly.
You're living in a dream world if you think the Kings win the Cup in 2012 without Richards and with Simmonds & Schenn. A complete ****ing dream world.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Wow. Just wow. Do you not find it a coincidence that since Richards has not been on the Kings NHL roster that they have missed the playoffs and won 1 playoff game in 2 years? Richards WAS the prime leader, and a main staple of that 2012 run and beyond. Richards, along with Brown, was a key factor in the Kings sending the Canucks home quickly.
You're living in a dream world if you think the Kings win the Cup in 2012 without Richards and with Simmonds & Schenn. A complete ****ing dream world.

Didn't the Kings also have Simmonds and Schenn for the previous year's series against the Sharks? Minus Kopitar though of course.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Should have kept Aki. Been downhill since.
:shakehead

Edit: Not to pewp on everyone's evening, but there are 2 back to backs the next 4 games. Does that mean 2 Zatkoff starts?

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Do you not find it a coincidence that since Richards has not been on the Kings NHL roster that they have missed the playoffs and won 1 playoff game in 2 years?
Are you serious? You think if Richards would have been on the team in the previous few years it would have made a difference? There's a reason why he's not playing in the NHL right now.

Richards WAS the prime leader, and a main staple of that 2012 run and beyond.
No he wasn't.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
Should have kept Aki. Been downhill since.
:shakehead

Edit: Not to pewp on everyone's evening, but there are 2 back to backs the next 4 games. Does that mean 2 Zatkoff starts?

Team's had a 4 day rest. Budaj should be good for at least 3 of the 4. Wouldn't be surprised if he got all 4 games. Don't think burning him out is a concern, especially if the Kings are in fact confident Quick can come back in 4-6 weeks. Also, Kings have a 6 day break from Feb 10-15, so Sutter may err on overusing Buds.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Are you serious? You think if Richards would have been on the team in the previous few years it would have made a difference? There's a reason why he's not playing in the NHL right now.

No he wasn't.

What?

There's a reason he's not in the NHL right now, but it's not because of the previous few years, when he built his legend being a 60-80 point all around player, including being a Selke finalist.

Maybe you just slipped up here so this isn't at you in particular, but people are seriously forgetting what a player Richards was.

Edit: My god read that wrong, you mean the last few years like 2016-2014. Disregard.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Pierre LeBrun Verified account 
‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Isles sign Greiss to three year, $10 million extension

He's played very well for them, his save % and GAA since he's been with them have been very good. Short term, under 3.5M AAV, not a bad deal.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Penner-Carter-Simmonds
King-Stoll-Lewis
Richardson-Fraser-Nolan

vs

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Penner-Richards-Carter
King-Stoll-Lewis
Richardson-Fraser-Nolan

Sorry but Simmonds then would not have played on the 2nd line...period. He was primarily used as a third liner and as a sudo grinder tough guy roll. His emergence as a power forward today was due to him being used in a completely different way in Philly than LA and it took 5 plus years to get there. The Simmonds we see today didn't exist when he was a King.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site

No he wasn't.

Completely missed my point. I was talking mainly about his leadership, and it has been missed. That's a category Schenn and Simmonds come no where close to. There's a reason he has won and was a leader at every level he's played at, and yes he was a main staple of the 2012-2014 runs, especially 2012.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Completely missed my point. I was talking mainly about his leadership, and it has been missed. That's a category Schenn and Simmonds come no where close to. There's a reason he has won and was a leader at every level he's played at, and yes he was a main staple of the 2012-2014 runs, especially 2012.
You don't know anything about his leadership. You don't even know him.

If his leadership is so great, then why was the team going to miss the playoffs in 2012 until they fired the coach? If his leadership is so great, then why didn't it help in Washington? If his leadership was so great, why couldn't he lead Philly to a cup?

It's a team sport. Mike Richards would have never won anything if the teams he played on weren't good, and the same can be said for any individual player.

Calling Richards THE prime leader of the 2012 cup run over Brown, Kopitar or Quick is absolutely ludicrous. Do I even need to talk about 2014?

Last edited:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think when they lost out on Stamkos, they had JT pencilled in and Matthews and Tavares down the middle is pretty solid. However, there is the CAP, as you pointed out. But they were in on Stamkos and made a bigger offer than he signed for, so you have to think they have a plan.
But there will be no shortage of teams that will be dialing up Tavares agent. He's as good a physical 2 way top line center and loaded with leadership. Huge fan of his game.

I could see it for sure, I just don't think it's a given.

He is very underrated because he is lost on Long Island.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Pierre LeBrun Verified account 
‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Isles sign Greiss to three year, $10 million extension

He's played very well for them, his save % and GAA since he's been with them have been very good. Short term, under 3.5M AAV, not a bad deal.

yup great deal. His SV% is tops in the league over last three years or something.
Crazy to get him that cheap.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
You don't know anything about his leadership. You don't even know him.

If his leadership is so great, then why was the team going to miss the playoffs in 2012 until they fired the coach? If his leadership is so great, then why didn't it help in Washington? If his leadership was so great, why couldn't he lead Philly to a cup?

It's a team sport. Mike Richards would have never won anything if the teams he played on weren't good, and the same can be said for any individual player.

Calling Richards THE main staple of the 2012 cup run over Brown, Kopitar or Quick is absolutely ludicrous. Do I even need to talk about 2014?

He didn't say the main staple he said a main staple. That 2012 team was deep everywhere, and Richards was a big part of that. At the time Stoll could still be a top 2 centre on a lot of teams and he was our 3rd line center and Carter on the wing. Was amazing!!

Look at the 2010 Flyers (I think that was the year they went to the finals) their top line was literally the kings 2nd when Gagne was healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad