Around the League '15-'16--PLAYOFFS? edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think the NHL did the right thing with the 1 game suspension. However I wonder how often that term is said and is not caught on camera and goes unpunished.

Where I get confused is Shaw gets a game where Letang doesn't even get looked at. I really like Letang but a gay colleague just told me "the league should do more to ensure players aren't getting hurt, instead of ensure their feelings aren't hurt.".

Again I think the 1 game suspension is appropriate for Shaw it's just I find it hard to see how it stacks up to physical violence.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
I think the NHL did the right thing with the 1 game suspension. However I wonder how often that term is said and is not caught on camera and goes unpunished.

Where I get confused is Shaw gets a game where Letang doesn't even get looked at. I really like Letang but a gay colleague just told me "the league should do more to ensure players aren't getting hurt, instead of ensure their feelings aren't hurt.".

Again I think the 1 game suspension is appropriate for Shaw it's just I find it hard to see how it stacks up to physical violence.

You did a very good job without trying to turn this into a topic on politics. But sadly in order to answer the question that is where it would have to go so there is no way even I want to touch it.

So the only answer I can give is it is more important to look like you're doing something about it. And they do have a whole group that looks at physical violence in the games.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
the NHL DoPS is far from perfect, they are going to miss things and totally blow other calls, but I do think this Shaw punishment is a step in the right direction. #progress

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
the NHL DoPS is far from perfect, they are going to miss things and totally blow other calls, but I do think this Shaw punishment is a step in the right direction. #progress

agreed...I think that we would be ignorant to bleive the same word has not come out of a King's player mouth this year. I know Brown has been a huge supporter of gay rights, and would likely (hopefully) call that player out in the room, but I feel it's safe to say it is a term that is still too prevalent.

I will say that Shaw's apology at first seemed bogus to me, but there is an openly gay reporter for the hawks that said Shaw came and talked to the reporter directly off camera..that is a move in the right direction and I think took some balls.

I was hoping that Shaw would donate to right to play or something, as I think that would do more for gay rights than a 1 games suspension. Maybe he still will.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009

Kinda of apples and oranges.
The nature of the sport, physical play is required, now how they administer justice when it gets out of hand has been debated for years.

The nature of the sport does not require the use of slurs of a racial or sexual orientation. Not acting in this case would condone the use of slurs, more cut and dry IMHO

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Kinda of apples and oranges.
The nature of the sport, physical play is required, now how they administer justice when it gets out of hand has been debated for years.

The nature of the sport does not require the use of slurs of a racial or sexual orientation. Not acting in this case would condone the use of slurs, more cut and dry IMHO

They only acted because it was on camera. That kind of thing gets said all the time on the ice including calling each other ******* which is sexist.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
There's no time like the present for the league to make a statement that enough is enough, so I'm glad to see they did. You have to start somewhere.

I'm sure the N word was used liberally as well for a lot of years until someone decided it was no longer OK.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
They only acted because it was on camera. That kind of thing gets said all the time on the ice including calling each other ******* which is sexist.

Who cares why the acted, as long as they did?

Think Subban gets called out based on the color of his skin all the time? If not why not?

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Now that race and sexual orientation is off the table, how are guys going to annoy each other? Hurl insults about the plants they have growing in their yard?

I guess there's always the old standby "I ***'d your wife"

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
There's no time like the present for the league to make a statement that enough is enough, so I'm glad to see they did. You have to start somewhere.

I'm sure the N word was used liberally as well for a lot of years until someone decided it was no longer OK.

Exactly. Making an example out of Shaw sends a message to rest of the players that it's not OK to use those words.

After last night, players should be more careful. Not because of the minor fine and suspension. The biggest punishment is the attention brought to your actions, thus embarrassing yourself and your family.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Honestly I have no clue how Letang got off the hook. No clue. That was appalling. Almost worse than Keith. And now we have two guys cracking opposing players in the head in a clearly intentional manner with a combined one playoff game suspension between them.

Kings and Sharks dislike each other, but props for keeping it sane.

Exactly. Making an example out of Shaw sends a message to rest of the players that it's not OK to use those words.

After last night, players should be more careful. Not because of the minor fine and suspension. The biggest punishment is the attention brought to your actions, thus embarrassing yourself and your family.

I think no one is at all surprised by the words that get slung out there during the course of play...but when the guy is clearly on camera, isolated, in a place where it can be easily captured...good on the NHL for standing up there. It's gotta start somewhere. Sports culture in general is too loose on that sort of thing, though again, it's unsurprising. I also have no doubt that in the heat of the moment Shaw didn't use the term at its true intention--but the fact that his default go-to term WAS that is emblematic of how rampant such things are.

I think this is the best, most personal take on the whole affair due to his proximity in a number of ways:

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
So you can get in a fist fight with someone on the ice but can't say a word that offends certain people?

I'm very liberal on social issues but, c'mon now. This is just another step towards all of us having to wear helmets just to leave the house until they develop a bubble system better than what Travolta used back in the 70s.

Worst part is the NHL has to do something because the PC Police have too much power these days. Much like the anti-fighting crusade, I'm sure the largest howls about Shaw have been from those that don't even care about hockey.

I also hate Andrew Shaw and the Hawks.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
So you can get in a fist fight with someone on the ice but can't say a word that offends certain people?

I'm very liberal on social issues but, c'mon now. This is just another step towards all of us having to wear helmets just to leave the house until they develop a bubble system better than what Travolta used back in the 70s.

Worst part is the NHL has to do something because the PC Police have too much power these days. Much like the anti-fighting crusade, I'm sure the largest howls about Shaw have been from those that don't even care about hockey.

I also hate Andrew Shaw and the Hawks.

The NHL notably has partnerships with You Can Play and many local LGBT allies. With public calls to do something about a very visible incident, their hands are relatively tied, no matter how they 'truly' feel about it.

Unless they sever their partnerships, which is much, much uglier.

This is less an on-ice thing and more a political move, and the politics of the situation are what have made this so hard to discuss all over the forums (because as I said above, if we're being honest with ourselves, this is hardly an isolated on-ice incident).

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I agree to some extent (it COULD be disingenuous, but it could also be a big first step), but what's the alternative?

Max fine, make him do the sensitivity training(honestly worse than being suspended). The embarrassment should do. If he does it again, suspend him. The problem I have is it escalated immediately to suspension which feels too heavy handed for what amounts to foul language.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
The NHL notably has partnerships with You Can Play and many local LGBT allies. With public calls to do something about a very visible incident, their hands are relatively tied, no matter how they 'truly' feel about it.

Unless they sever their partnerships, which is much, much uglier.

This is less an on-ice thing and more a political move, and the politics of the situation are what have made this so hard to discuss all over the forums (because as I said above, if we're being honest with ourselves, this is hardly an isolated on-ice incident).

Oh, I totally get it.

I just don't like it one bit.

Elimination playoff game suspension...for a word.

GTFO of here with that.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Shaw is still a dick for what he said, but I'm sure that word has been uttered countless times this year without the consequences Shaw just faced.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Max fine, make him do the sensitivity training(honestly worse than being suspended). The embarrassment should do. If he does it again, suspend him. The problem I have is it escalated immediately to suspension which feels too heavy handed for what amounts to foul language.

So a little bit more like what the Kings org' did in response to bad behavior and a little less of a token public slap on the wrist. I can get on board with that.

Without getting too political and I'll agree to disagree, the issue here is less that it's simply 'foul' language and more 'loaded' language that disparages and alienates a large segment of people, whereas nobody outside the FCC is going to be too hurt over f and s bombs on the air.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
So a little bit more like what the Kings org' did in response to bad behavior and a little less of a token public slap on the wrist. I can get on board with that.

Without getting too political and I'll agree to disagree, the issue here is less that it's simply 'foul' language and more 'loaded' language that disparages and alienates a large segment of people, whereas nobody outside the FCC is going to be too hurt over f and s bombs on the air.

We can still make jokes about players hitting each other with purses and it's the same effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad