Around The League - 15-16 Part II (Expansion!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is my concern about signing Buff (or even Andrew) long term. Chara is a fitness freak and was such a dominant player in his 30's but when the decline comes it seems to be steep. Mother age is not kind. It seems like the years after a guy hits 35 are REALLY risky.

Chara is probably the best comparable we have for Buff, not perfect but the best we have.

Chara was highly effective till he was 36. Fell sharply at 37 and at 38 may be finished but with still 3 years on his contract.

A six year extension for Buff would take him to 37. If he parallels Chara then it would only be that last year where he could not earn his salary. I think that would be tolerable. A 5 year deal would be better but at 6 I am not going to lose sleep over the concern that Buff will age out long before his contract does.

I would start to worry if Buff's new found commitment to fitness disappeared as soon as he signed but he has maintained it for 2 years now. At some point you have to believe that it is real. As long as he keeps his weight under control I think he can continue to play at a high level for quite a while.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
So apparently the kit bag that the accusers mother found is in fact fake. The nurse gave it to her at the hospital to pack her shirt because she had changed it between the house and hospital. Mom.was supposed to bring it in and never did.

Awesome.

Also apparently the friend that was there is hesitant to testify because she was underage at a bar...

For real? You won't back your friend because you were underage at a bar? Come on.

This case is ****ed up.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I keep hearing that the age of "goons/enforcers/whatever you want to call them" in the NHL is over. Yet guys like Cooke, Glass, Rinaldo keep getting jobs. When one team gives up on them another team picks them up. I bet if we put Peluso on waivers, someone picks him up too:shakehead

OK, it is not quite over but it is very close. We have a tough team with a lot of large bodied men who will stick up for their teammates. Even our smaller players are pretty tough and will stand up for themselves. With goonery declining we really have no need for AP. I agree though that somebody would pick him up. We might even be able to get a 7th round pick for him. We should keep either Thor or Peluso. Not both. Thor is a better hockey player but still not so good that he couldn't easily be replaced. If we need an enforcer he isn't a very good one, though he is willing.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
There are still teams that would trade for Chara, people. If Boston waits until he's their worst defenceman, that would be a mistake, but they could easily get out from under that contract right now if they want to.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So apparently the kit bag that the accusers mother found is in fact fake. The nurse gave it to her at the hospital to pack her shirt because she had changed it between the house and hospital. Mom.was supposed to bring it in and never did.

Awesome.

Also apparently the friend that was there is hesitant to testify because she was underage at a bar...

For real? You won't back your friend because you were underage at a bar? Come on.

This case is ****ed up.

You know its crazy when seasoned professionals covering this "event" say in all their years they have never seen anything like this. :help:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There are still teams that would trade for Chara, people. If Boston waits until he's their worst defenceman, that would be a mistake, but they could easily get out from under that contract right now if they want to.

I'd be surprised if that was the case. If it was just 1 year remaining, sure take a chance but it is 3 at nearly 7 mil cap hit. That is a huge risk for a guy who appears to be in steep decline. It isn't like GMs are not aware of how weak he was last year. BTW, he has a NMC.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'd be surprised if that was the case. If it was just 1 year remaining, sure take a chance but it is 3 at nearly 7 mil cap hit. That is a huge risk for a guy who appears to be in steep decline. It isn't like GMs are not aware of how weak he was last year. BTW, he has a NMC.

Words I never want to read about Buff.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

You're right. While I maintain that there are teams that would trade for him, especially with a little retention, there's no way he's waiving his clause at this point.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Words I never want to read about Buff.

Ain't that the truth! :) 5 year term, 6 max or trade now.

You're right. While I maintain that there are teams that would trade for him, especially with a little retention, there's no way he's waiving his clause at this point.

Not likely but you never know what might motivate him to do so. Pride, one last chance maybe.

I think it would take quite a bit of retention, say 40% off the top of my head. That would be better than being forced into a buyout though.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Not likely but you never know what might motivate him to do so. Pride, one last chance maybe.

I think it would take quite a bit of retention, say 40% off the top of my head. That would be better than being forced into a buyout though.

Teams that would want him are rebuilding teams trying to hit the floor, but desiring superstar veterans primarily to fill seats, but also for helping to keep kids on a tanking team from being mentally scarred by the process.

He'd never waive for them.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Chara is probably the best comparable we have for Buff, not perfect but the best we have.

Chara was highly effective till he was 36. Fell sharply at 37 and at 38 may be finished but with still 3 years on his contract.

A six year extension for Buff would take him to 37. If he parallels Chara then it would only be that last year where he could not earn his salary. I think that would be tolerable. A 5 year deal would be better but at 6 I am not going to lose sleep over the concern that Buff will age out long before his contract does.

I would start to worry if Buff's new found commitment to fitness disappeared as soon as he signed but he has maintained it for 2 years now. At some point you have to believe that it is real. As long as he keeps his weight under control I think he can continue to play at a high level for quite a while.

Why do people think that Buff is some kind of fitness guy now?

Honestly, look at him. He's gone from being in terrible shape to being in passable shape.

Comparing the guy to Chara is laughable. Chara eats clean and has a committed focus to fitness as he has had for his entire career.

Buff lifts a few weights for a couple of years and only gets one order of fries with his double chili bacon cheeseburger and all of the sudden he's "committed to fitness"? I'd love to see the guy with his shirt off. What is his BMI or his body fat %?

Let's get real here.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why do people think that Buff is some kind of fitness guy now?

Honestly, look at him. He's gone from being in terrible shape to being in passable shape.

Comparing the guy to Chara is laughable. Chara eats clean and has a committed focus to fitness as he has had for his entire career.

Buff lifts a few weights for a couple of years and only gets one order of fries with his double chili bacon cheeseburger and all of the sudden he's "committed to fitness"? I'd love to see the guy with his shirt off. What is his BMI or his body fat %?

Let's get real here.

Where did I say that? He has kept his weight under control and been fit for 2 years in a row.

I said Chara is an imperfect comparable but probably the best we have. If you know of a better one who is he?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I keep hearing that the age of "goons/enforcers/whatever you want to call them" in the NHL is over. Yet guys like Cooke, Glass, Rinaldo keep getting jobs. When one team gives up on them another team picks them up. I bet if we put Peluso on waivers, someone picks him up too:shakehead

Doubtful. He was a 4th liner in the AHL for Blues and hasn't improved. Blues are still laughing we plucked him from waivers originally, nevermind re-signed him TWICE to one-way contracts.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Doubtful. He was a 4th liner in the AHL for Blues and hasn't improved. Blues are still laughing we plucked him from waivers originally, nevermind re-signed him TWICE to one-way contracts.

I disagree, I'm pretty sure he gets claimed on waivers. It wouldn't bother me if he was claimed. I'm not a fan of his particularly. There's still enough old school in the NHL that seems to want a heavyweight in their lineup.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I don't know but if a guy like Raffl (who i have been impressed with and has shown he can actually score in a professional league) doesn't make the team and Peluso is around so he can beat up a few guys throughout the season then I won't like it..no sir not at all.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Are they laughing? Really?

"Oh, look at those Jets! They took Peluso from us! AND they resigned him!! HAHAHA"

unlikely.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
I don't know but if a guy like Raffl (who i have been impressed with and has shown he can actually score in a professional league) doesn't make the team and Peluso is around so he can beat up a few guys throughout the season then I won't like it..no sir not at all.

Our 4th line should of been Stempniak, Petan and either Raffl or Lemieux. I will not be surprised if none of those three are on the 4th line to start game one.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It's always funny when your divisional opponents voluntarily make themselves worse.

Haha wow. Are you going to stand by that statement? Do you believe that Peluso (or ANY bit player for that matter) has that much impact on the team's success?

How many minutes did Peluso play last year?

Honestly the feeding frenzy around a guy who plays next to no minutes is laughable. I'd rather worry about more meaningful players who actually have an impact on wins and losses.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Haha wow. Are you going to stand by that statement? Do you believe that Peluso (or ANY bit player for that matter) has that much impact on the team's success?

How many minutes did Peluso play last year?

Honestly the feeding frenzy around a guy who plays next to no minutes is laughable. I'd rather worry about more meaningful players who actually have an impact on wins and losses.

Yeah so I said where exactly did the extent? Oh right I didn't. Employing players that actively hurt the team is a bad thing. Period.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
This may have a dominoe effect. They might have to move more peices next summer ala Saad Sharp

@FriedgeHNIC: Hearing the much-rumoured extension between CHI and Brent Seabrook is closing in.

@FriedgeHNIC: Expecting AAV to be in range of 6.85M on Seabrook.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
So Evander Kane had two goals tonight. More goals than the entire Jets squad over the past two pre-season games. It sucks that he's not a Jet anymore but he had to go. It's too bad since he could have been a dominant player for us in 3 v 3 OT.

this makes me sad :cry: at least we have lemieux/armia/stafford/roslovic though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad