Around the League - 15/16 Edition: Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie Jetski

Jun 25, 2004
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 5m5 minutes ago
Artemi Panarin has officially locked down $2.575M in performance bonuses. It'll cost the #blackhawks at least one player next season.

On game 82. Probably bitter sweet for the Hawks. This game cost them a lot actually haha

Do those bonuses have to apply to this year's cap hit or next?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Davidson >> Marincin so yeh he may be better than Reinhart but wasnt a fit here.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
He reminds me of the D version of Purcell. When he was bad he didn't have redeeming qualities and when good he was merely good. I'm glad Chia is purging this team of mediocre soft players.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah.

Plenty of things to regret with this team but dumping Marincin isn't one of them.

Gryba was more effective when he was playing anyway.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Before jumping off the deep end you should question how many Leaf games your "fan" friends actually watch.

He's been brutal during most Leaf games I've watched, and he reviews have been similar from any Leaf related source I've ever seen.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I wouldn't trust the progress of players on Toronto just yet. We've seen players seemingly take a step forward and then regress. That happened here with Marincin actually.

I liked Marincin a lot while he was here though. I'm not surprised he's doing well. Schultz too.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Soft, below average defensively and non-existent offensively.

No thanks.

Lol.

Below average defensively.

Not physical, sure. Non existent offensively, true but his linemates, opposition, PP time, and zone starts puts him at a huge disadvantage there.

Below average defensively is like saying Taylor Hall is a slow skater.

Marincin more often than not is brilliant defensively.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Lol.

Below average defensively.

Not physical, sure. Non existent offensively, true but his linemates, opposition, PP time, and zone starts puts him at a huge disadvantage there.

Below average defensively is like saying Taylor Hall is a slow skater.

Marincin more often than not is brilliant defensively.

Brilliant might be a reach. He's had a nice run of good play for the Leafs, he did at times with us too. Hope he does well.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Petry - Marincin was a deadly pairing with good results. Marincin always had great advanced stats and has an incredible toolbox and solid skills on both sides of the puck.

Lots of people here will **** on anyone depending on the day of the week and he is just one of those guys that was thrown under the bus instead of developed and trained like a proper coach/organization would do.

The fanbase, as always, is happy to cheer as quality personnel are fed to the woodchipper.

Theres always a third rate grinder with 0 potential that we can happily replace him with for a season before we end that players career.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He was a solid positional player no doubt. Just didn't bring anything else. Decent first pass but he was soft and brought nothing offensively. I still think he has potential. He showed a lot of potential here. Wouldnt be shocked if he ended up better than Reinhart. I don't think it's likely but it could happen.

MPStoEberletoHall*

Not sure if you have noticed this, but the Leafs boast about every play/prospect they have. Phaneuf went from a #1/2 D to a #3/4 after the traded him.

Jake f****** Gardiner is apparently an elite # 3 D man, if not a # 2.

I take what TML say with a grain of salt

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
He went on some late season runs with Edmonton too. He never sustains it though, might have something to do with the rumors of his poor offseason work habits.

The Oilers aren't missing out on anything. There are lots of defensemen out there that can give a month of decent play per season.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Let's see where Reinhart is at 24 and we'll probably see how silly this thread is.

Happy to see Marty thriving elsewhere.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
Marincin was pretty bad in the first half of the season, but Babcock saw something in him and he kept working with the coaching staff. He's been pretty good in the second half. I mean, he's still a 5th/6th dman but he's been pretty solid.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I honestly feel bad that more Oilers fans, and more importantly Oilers brass, didn't see the finer points of his game. The holes in his game are more curable with time than most players imo, and his strengths harder to find.

But one thing I will agree with in general is that we "shouldn't" end up missing him. Our left side on defense is insanely good. The circumstances around his leaving are Damn twitchy but it's in the past.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Do those bonuses have to apply to this year's cap hit or next?

Panarin's bonuses count to this year's cap, and now the Hawks are over the cap, and the overage will be carried to next season. Rozival hit a bonus too I believe.

And the cap is stagnating next season or even going down. Bowman will be in tough this offseason.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I hadnt looked at the standings in a while. I didn't realise Minny made the playoffs with only 87 points; that is a pretty low point total to get to play bonus games.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
So Blues face the Hawks in the 1st round of the playoffs. I wonder what another early exit will do to their team. What will they do, except firing Hitch? Do they blow it up and build around a new core of Tarasenko, Fabbri and Parayko or are they content with just moving some smaller pieces? Will be interesting to follow.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Ovi hits 50, awesome.

7th time in 10 seasons. Would have been 8 times if not for the lockout shortened season. In his 10 years in the league no one else has done it more than twice... Now only Mike Bossy and Wayne Gretzky are ahead of him in terms of # of 50 goal seasons. A remarkable goal scorer in an era where remarkable goal scorers are extinct outside of Ovechkin.

Stamkos looked like he was going to be able to rival Ovechkin after he put up that 60 goal season, but since than injuries/inconsistency hasn't seen him come close to 50 again.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
So sounds like Datsyuk is going to retire from the NHL after the Red Wings playoff run. That's gonna burn the Red Wings as his contract is a 35+ one and they're going to be stuck with his 7.5 million cap hit next season. Pretty tough to replace the loss of your best player when he's taking up 10% of your cap and not even playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad