Around Hockey XXV (All Non-Jackets Hockey Talk Here)

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I want another Lightning Cup run. And I want them to face Colorado or Dallas. I’d also be ok with Carolina in the finals.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I think the Cup winner is from the East this year, because whoever survives the West will be a bruised wreck. Just like the Blues in 2019 benefiting from the East gauntlet that year.

As long as the Canes are out early so I don’t have to watch their snore fest hockey very long, I don’t particularly care who wins anything. I hope they all have fun cheerfully murdering each other for six weeks. Go Panthers, I guess. Play your little rat hearts out.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I've always rooted against the Stars. Green? Meh. Texas? Gross.

But I must admit Nill has built a great team, and they're perhaps the best example of the kind of under rated team building I've been talking about. They didn't need any top picks to make one of the league's best forward groups. They signed old man Joe Pavelski, and drafted Roope Hintz (49th), Jason Robertson (39th), Wyatt Johnston (23rd), and Logan Stankoven (47th). And old man Benn (129th) is still good.

The correct way to build a team, of course, is to not sign any older players and to blow it up and get top picks. So this must be some kind of anomaly in the universe.

Mavrik Bourque has been on my radar for awhile and probably one of my favorite prospects in the league (up there with Mateychuk) and might end up being their best player. Wish the CBJ drafted him.
Speaking of...

TIL I have more in common with thebus than I thought. Loved those 90s Red Wings teams for their skill, Yzerman and Fedorov working their magic in the NHL weekly highlights. And the Panthers felt like the underdog and had a cool logo I suppose, and Vanbiesbrouck had a cool mask? Wasn't a huge fan of Bure but more because of how he was SO good and fast and beat Finland singlehandedly in Nagano'98 (five goals, lol). Cheers man.

Yeah, I like both overly skilled and intense physical hockey. The truly best players bring both qualities. My grandparents had a trailer/home down in Florida in a 55+ park when I was a kid when the Panthers started up, so I would watch many of their games on Sun Sports down there during some parts of the winters. It was before Bure, but, the playoff run FLA had to make it to the finals against COL was awesome, and clearly made an impact on me at a young age involving the concept of the “underdog” and ALSO a hard working team.

To add and be clear, AWESOME logo. The old cat head. The older reds were awesome jerseys along with the dark blues they had I think they had when Bure was around.

I became infatuated by Bure around that time. And Paul Laus and Peter Worrell. Maybe not the greatest style for a 10 year old to emulate (Bure or Worrell haha), but even as a “cherrypicker” the intensity Bure showed the majority of the time was spectacular and i believe he would regularly play close to half the game, and I may be biased, but, he’s really up there as one of the most unique players in history and/or should be looked at as 1 of the best/most skilled offensive players that ever played. It’s sad on so many levels that his knees didn’t hold up and he couldn’t have played longer on some more talented teams. I was so excited about the move to the NYR.

I remember that game against Finland to this day, I can only imagine it being a Finn. The rosters and play of those international teams back then were unbelievable, I wish I wasn’t so young to be able to take it all in a bit more, especially when you throw in how the game was played back then.

Sorry, OT no more Bure talk.

Or maybe it would fit better in the GM thread?? 🤔💡

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Just FWIW here, among my all-time favorite players "not playing for my NHL team" are Darcy Tucker and Jason Arnott.
Love all the Tucker/Barnaby/Avery style guys. Similar to Dorsett, who should never have been traded.

Voronkov might be our own Arnott….

Need more of this style added to the current team. And yes, probably a guy that’s a better player than Gudbranson/Olivier. Voronkov WAS just a rookie so he’ll obviously become more comfortable on ALL levels, especially when it comes to playing physical or just overall being a handful for the other team.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Flyers-Capitals tied 1-1 heading into the 3rd. Any win by Washington and they're in. Philly needs to win in regulation to have a chance.

How early does Torts pull the goalie?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Flyers-Capitals tied 1-1 heading into the 3rd. Any win by Washington and they're in. Philly needs to win in regulation to have a chance.

How early does Torts pull the goalie?

With a few minutes to spare, and the Caps score to win 2-1, with an empty net game winner.

That's terrible luck for the Red Wings, they won the game tonight and would have made the playoffs if the Flyers won, but since the Flyers had to win in regulation, they pulled the goalie and the Caps won.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I want another Lightning Cup run. And I want them to face Colorado or Dallas. I’d also be ok with Carolina in the finals.
I'd be happy to see that but I don't think they have a prayer. Their D has been suspect all year,

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
With a few minutes to spare, and the Caps score to win 2-1, with an empty net game winner.

That's terrible luck for the Red Wings, they won the game tonight and would have made the playoffs if the Flyers won, but since the Flyers had to win in regulation, they pulled the goalie and the Caps won.
Conspiracy theory going around is Detroit went into overtime giving them one point and eliminating the Flyers and Torts new about it (?) and didn't put his goalie back in to help the Red Wings.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Makes me so sad seeing all these kids in the stands in Arizona who are about to lose their team. Really a damn shame

Reactions: Viqsi

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Makes me so sad seeing all these kids in the stands in Arizona who are about to lose their team. Really a damn shame
I made sure to watch the game last night. I'm glad ESPN+ stayed on through the post game fesitivities and I got to see all of the players hug their equipment manager who has been with the team since the day they moved to Phoenix. Hearing the announcers reflect was good. As they said, the players will be fine but you really have to feel for the employees who have been with the organization.

Shane Doan played his rookie year in Winnipeg and moved with the team to AZ where then spent his entire career to become synonymous with Coyotes hockey. Now his son got to have his career start in AZ and he will end up moving to Utah.

What will be interesting to me is where the team records go. The Jets team records moved from Winnipeg to AZ. Will they now move to Utah or will they be forced to leave them behind for a potential future expansion team like the Browns did when Model moved them to Baltimore?

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I made sure to watch the game last night. I'm glad ESPN+ stayed on through the post game fesitivities and I got to see all of the players hug their equipment manager who has been with the team since the day they moved to Phoenix. Hearing the announcers reflect was good. As they said, the players will be fine but you really have to feel for the employees who have been with the organization.

Shane Doan played his rookie year in Winnipeg and moved with the team to AZ where then spent his entire career to become synonymous with Coyotes hockey. Now his son got to have his career start in AZ and he will end up moving to Utah.

What will be interesting to me is where the team records go. The Jets team records moved from Winnipeg to AZ. Will they now move to Utah or will they be forced to leave them behind for a potential future expansion team like the Browns did when Model moved them to Baltimore?
Apparently, the franchise will be considered inactive. So as far as I understand it, the records won't carry over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad