Around Hockey XVII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
"Want"? Not necessarily. Accept because of a lack of strength to keep fighting that fight? Potentially more plausible IMO, albeit entirely speculative.

If he's guilty people from the outside should want justice for the abused. Also, justice doesn't come in the form of a check.

What the reality is for a poor person subjected to sexual abuse? That's another tragic tale and completely irrelevant to anything I posted.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If he's guilty people from the outside should want justice for the abused. Also, justice doesn't come in the form of a check.

What the reality is for a poor person subjected to sexual abuse? That's another tragic tale and completely irrelevant to anything I posted.
Relevant in the sense that the victim is generally still going to have to testify in a criminal case. And face her (or his) attacker. And be cross-questioned. Not everybody's going to have the endurance to do that, especially after that kind of trauma.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Relevant in the sense that the victim is generally still going to have to testify in a criminal case. And face her (or his) attacker. And be cross-questioned. Not everybody's going to have the endurance to do that, especially after that kind of trauma.

Perhaps you are missing the point that I was talking about people outside of the victim. We aren't disagreeing.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I don't think this case is necessarily a "he said, she said". As of now its 75% speculation. We don't know the results of the rape kit the victim received at the hospital. Most of the "he said, she said" nonsense have come from "witnesses" aka Croce, Skybar's owner, who was clearly looking out for his most famous patron, and other anonymous sources.

We have heard no official statements from either party directly involved. Guilty or not, I don't expect any charges to be filed. With that new contract, Kane can afford to $ettle out of court.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
We have heard no official statements from either party directly involved. Guilty or not, I don't expect any charges to be filed. With that new contract, Kane can afford to $ettle out of court.

Settle a criminal cause through extortion or bribery? Yes, that is what someone paying the other would amount to if it made criminal charges go away (victim dropping of the charges). If that is legal it's a big reason why our courts are the flaming pile of dung they are.

There are plenty of civil cases settled that way to be sure, but I haven't heard of one of those being filed yet.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Settle a criminal cause through extortion or bribery? Yes, that is what someone paying the other would amount to if it made criminal charges go away (victim dropping of the charges). If that is legal it's a big reason why our courts are the flaming pile of dung they are.

There are plenty of civil cases settled that way to be sure, but I haven't heard of one of those being filed yet.

Oh its legal. Its complete B.S. If I'm not mistaken, isn't that how Roethlisberger, and even Kobe Bryant settled their rape allegations.

Last edited:

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus

Witness will fail to co operate and in a he said she said situation, there goes your case if you are the prosecutor. Happens all the time for rich people.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Oh its legal. Its complete B.S. If I'm not mistaken, isn't that how Roethlisberger, and even Kobe Bryant settled their rape allegations.

Witness will fail to co operate and in a he said she said situation, there goes your case if you are the prosecutor. Happens all the time for rich people.

Oh goody, we're pointing out corruption with such glee. I wouldn't be so sure that it's legal even if it's done. For example, you can't pay off a witness. The victim is a witness.

Now you can settle in civil cases all day long.

Last edited:

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
If he's guilty; that is the last thing anyone should want. Frankly I don't care about him one way or another. It doesn't matter to me who he is.

If she's trying for money I would like her in jail. If he's guilty, I want the book thrown at him.

If there really want sexual assault, I don't know why anyone would want it settled out of court. That would be a real ******* walking the streets and I wouldn't want another women subjected to the likes of him.

Thank you, blahblah. It may get settled out of court, that would cause the least discomfort. But something of this magnitude being settled out of court wouldn't seem to have much to do with what is just, IMO, if he's guilty- or if he's innocent.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Oh goody, we're pointing out corruption with such glee. I wouldn't be so sure that it's legal even if it's done. For example, you can't pay off a witness. The victim is a witness.

No glee, just stating the obvious. Witnesses fail to cooperate all the time.

Money talks.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio

Going with what Stinger is saying, if the prosecution can't get enough hard evidence or witness cooperation for a criminal case and its announced that no charges will be filed, you can nearly guarantee a civil case will be filed. This is the scenario in which Kane can pay to make the problem go away.

You are correct, you can't settle or pay your way out of a criminal case. Unless there is truly damning evidence against Kane, I doubt criminal charges will be filed and the above scenario plays out.

Either way, its a big ugly black eye for Kane and the Hawks organization if they don't suspend him indefinitely.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
The only way you settle is if youre guilty, and if youre not guilty you fight it with your last breath. But then bribery.....errrr, lobbying has been around for a long time

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Will be interesting to see how much longer this takes.. feels like the results of the test shouldn't be this long based on other cases..

I know they said weeks but training camp is approaching quickly and the Blackhawks/NHL could be forced into a decision with limited evidence.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Anyone else getting a little nervous, that with Quebec City moving on to the 3rd round of the expansion process, that the CBJ are somehow going to end up getting screwed by moving back West? No chance they put Quebec in the West, it would take 5 to 6 hours to fly to some of their away games.

We may be facing yet another re-alignment where we're not technically in the "West", but a setup that will give us a lot more travel.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Anyone else getting a little nervous, that with Quebec City moving on to the 3rd round of the expansion process, that the CBJ are somehow going to end up getting screwed by moving back West? No chance they put Quebec in the West, it would take 5 to 6 hours to fly to some of their away games.

We may be facing yet another re-alignment where we're not technically in the "West", but a setup that will give us a lot more travel.

I look for the NHL to go to a different alignment. Something like what Rimer has been pushing for with a 32 team league. Columbus would end up in something like a central, or mid-west division. I would have to take some time to look at it, and I can't remember how Rims did it, but we would not be in a classic "Western" conference as it is constructed now. And we would not be locked into playing the majority of our games against western teams. With the league looking to promote more regional rivalries, schedules would be more travel friendly, with the emphasis more on the divisions rather than conferences.

So we might go back to playing more games with the likes of Nashville, Detroit, Chicago, and St. Louis, but not so much with west coast teams.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
looks like Thomas Larkin caught on in KHL

Thomas Larkin retweeted
KHL Medvescak Zagreb ‏@KHL_MedvescakZG 1h1 hour ago
Welcome to #Medvescak @tlarkin27! #TogetherWeAre

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
and another ex CBJ

NEWS 1130 Sports ‏@NEWS1130Sports 2m2 minutes ago
The #Canucks sign RW Adam Cracknell to a 1yr, 2way deal for $575,000. He played 17-games for the Blue Jackets last year (Per: @renlavoietva)

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Giordano gave the Flames a discount if you ask me. He could have multiple norris trophies on that contract, the only big risk is injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce