OT: Around Hockey and the NHL

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I went to watch Canada-Switzerland at the U18's to see what the McKenna hype is all about. I obviously selected seats at the end where Canada attacks twice to get the most action. So the only logical thing happened and Canada scored 7 of their 8 goals in the second period.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
And they’re out.
Good riddance. Now I can go back to rooting against the Rangers.
The puck would go in the corner and Ovie wouldn’t even try to go after it. No interest whatsoever in a 50-50 puck. That’s your captain in an elimination game putting in zero effort and the Caps followed and got swept. Ovie has always been a lazy player and someone unable to do what it takes to win games (other than score) but that was really bad. Hard not to think he’s only still playing for his own personal records.

Reactions: Hoek

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
What's weird to think about is that the long term future of the sport is most certainly in synthetic rinks. Fake ice.

But not roller hockey, just a replica of ice.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Why? Because of climate change?
That wouldn't be the driving force behind it. It'd be way more economical to just have a synthetic grid that snaps together that does as well as real ice. No constant energy usage, and far less maintenance.

More rinks, and more operators, would also lead to *theoretically* lower costs to play. Equipment would still be expensive, but it's not like they need to run the edger every morning and the Zamboni every hour. Or worry about the power bill.

I've never skated on synthetic ice, although many Lightning players have. Stamkos did growing up, and Anthony Duclair opened a synthetic rink in South Florida just a few months ago. It's currently good enough for elite players to train on, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that in a few decades, it'll just replace the real, artificial ice we use now.

The current synthetic ice is pretty tough on skates, which need to get sharpened far more, and skating itself is about 10-15% harder all around.

Reactions: Hoek

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
What's weird to think about is that the long term future of the sport is most certainly in synthetic rinks. Fake ice.

But not roller hockey, just a replica of ice.
Have you skated on it before? It is awful. The game is slower, you can't make certain cuts, puck movement slows down alot, passes slow down alot, and shots slow down alot, and it ruins your blades. You got to get them sharpened a lot more. MY friend had a backyard rink in his barn that was like 3/4 size of a nhl rink and sold it during covid for peak returns. He almost got back exactly what he put in a decade earlier. I also skated on another piece of synthetic ice at those fake snow events and it felt the same last year.

It’s the only time you’ll ever catch me rooting for Boston. And I’m rooting for them hard.
Im just hoping the rats and the rat take each other out.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Have you skated on it before? It is awful. The game is slower, you can't make certain cuts, puck movement slows down alot, passes slow down alot, and shots slow down alot, and it ruins your blades. You got to get them sharpened a lot more. MY friend had a backyard rink in his barn that was like 3/4 size of a nhl rink and sold it during covid for peak returns. He almost got back exactly what he put in a decade earlier. I also skated on another piece of synthetic ice at those fake snow events and it felt the same last year.

Im just hoping the rats and the rat take each other out.
skill issue :sarcasm:

from one year ago (marketing material)

Players already deal with differences in ice quality at various rinks. Some synthetic manufacturers will put out a better quality product than others.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
A new name for NCAA Atlantic Hockey

I saw the Penn State logo and got confused, but after reading the article, the mens team is still in the Big Ten.

The 11-team men’s league consists of Air Force, AIC, Army West Point, Bentley, Canisius, Holy Cross, Mercyhurst, Niagara, RIT, Robert Morris and Sacred Heart.

The six-team women’s league features Lindenwood, Mercyhurst, Penn State, RIT, Robert Morris and Syracuse and will welcome Delaware as its seventh member in 2025-26.

Reactions: Felonious Python

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
Ok who I should cheer now as Bolts are out? No team will replace bolts but it will be hard to be without hockey and emotions untill mid Octobeer again.. I liked last years Tor team (yeye throw tomatos at me) I lioked STL when they won SC and WSH when they won, but now its like first time in a 6 7 years that I dont have any emotions for other teams playing in play offs, what are your suggestions?

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Ok who I should cheer now as Bolts are out? No team will replace bolts but it will be hard to be without hockey and emotions untill mid Octobeer again.. I liked last years Tor team (yeye throw tomatos at me) I lioked STL when they won SC and WSH when they won, but now its like first time in a 6 7 years that I dont have any emotions for other teams playing in play offs, what are your suggestions?
This is where I start wanting teams I dislike to lose. Lol. Vegas, Toronto, Boston, Florida by all means I want eliminated. Pretty much a wide open field of winners after that. I'd hate to hear New York fans gloating but I'd take them winning over anybody else in the east. I wouldn't mind Vancouver, Dallas, or even Edmonton tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad