Armchair GM VI

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I hope we don't need to be armchair GMing after tonight... but as some of the other threads are kind of venturing into that territory, maybe it is time to bump this thread, so as not to pollute those other ones?

Here's a post I made a couple months ago plotting out a potential lineup for next season... some things have already changed... but the bottom line is we will have something like $10M we could spend in Free Agency, even after you tweak/update some of the old data below...

2024-25 Nashville Predators

Forsberg ($8.5M) - O'Reilly ($4.5M) - Nyquist ($3.185M)
L'Heureux ($0.8633M) - Novak ($3.5M) - Evangelista ($0.7975M)
Parssinen (RFA - $0.775M) - Glass ($2.5M) - Tomasino (RFA - $0.775M)
Afanseyev (RFA - $0.775M) - Sissons ($2.857M) - Smith ($1M)
McCarron ($0.900M)

Josi ($9.059M) - Fabbro (RFA - $3.5M)
McDonagh ($6.75M) - Carrier (UFA - $3.5M)
Stastney (RFA - $0.775M) - Lauzon ($2M)
Del Gaizo (RFA - $0.775M) - Schenn ($2.75M)

Saros ($5M)
Askarov ($0.925M)

Ekholm retention: $0.250M
Johansen retention: $4M
Turris Buyout: $2M
Duchene Buyout: $5.5556M

TOTAL: $77.7674M
2024-25 NHL Cap: $87-88M
REMAINING CAP SPACE: ~$10M

$11.5 million on Johansen/Turris/Duchene- SMH

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
In terms of UFAs:
Walk:
All but maybe Zucker

Rfas:
Extend all

Trade fodder:
Glass
Fabbro
Tomasino
Saros
Lauzon
Nyquist

First three dont seem to fit in with what Brunette wants, Saros because he might help bring in something the team needs, lauzon because please. Nyquist if someone offers an absurd sum in the offseason otherwise at the deadline if things go sideways.

UFA targets:
No clue. There are no hot fixes out there. If we more lauzon, Zadorov would be a good replacement. Pesce in for Fabbro likewise would be an upgrade.

Trade targets:
Necas
Lundell
Barron
Kotkaniemi
Other young talent with some potential

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
The UFA D options are weak but there are a lot of good forward options in this UFA I think this is UFA class if we wanted to go that route. Reinhart would be the prize center option but Lindholm and Monahan are solid players too. Maybe McDonagh recruits Stamkos to come here? Then you've got guys like Marchesseault, Toffoli, Stephenson, Teravainen that are all currently slated to become UFAS too.

I don't think Trotz is likely to sign anyone to a really long term deal, but I can definitely see him adding another O'Reilly/Nyquist type of player. Rightly or wrongly I don't think there is anyone in our system that Trotz/Bruno view as a top six option for next year so I would be shocked if we don't add someone else.

Nyquist is an intriguing situation too. After the season he's had and his cheap contract could we flip him for younger assets and then backfill his spot in free agency again?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
How about getting some homegrown talent? Any chance that we draft some guys that can actually produce in the NHL or are we just drafting to fill Milwaukee?
Brunette won't play them anyways.

I don't know what we do but imo you need either a 1st or 2nd line center and then move Novak to wing. That or actually give Parssinen a chance without bouncing him all over the lineup.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Brunette played Evangelista. Brunette actually played Evangelista all season in a top 6 role AND put him on power play 1.

If they earn a roster spot and gain the coaches trust, they’ll play on the NHL roster.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Brunette played Evangelista. Brunette actually played Evangelista all season in a top 6 role AND put him on power play 1.

If they earn a roster spot and gain the coaches trust, they’ll play on the NHL roster.
If he doesn't screw them up.

In the case of Afanasyev he needs an opportunity to prove it first. 27g - 27a -54p should at least earn you an extended look.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dadof5boys

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

This last Vancouver game being an exception for the Novak line as a whole. Evangelista, Jankowski, and Novak were all grounded pretty hard. Just getting 3 or 4 shifts each in the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Reactions: Kat Predator

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
This last Vancouver game being an exception for the Novak line as a whole. Evangelista, Jankowski, and Novak were all grounded pretty hard. Just getting 3 or 4 shifts each in the 2nd and 3rd periods.
At least Jankowski was out there, letting his man go free and score in the epic collapse. So he gets some sort of trophy, right? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad