Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Long long journey through the darkness, where is our goalie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I suggested Bennett, hamonic, and a 1st rounder but that doesn't seem to be enough. Toronto doesn't need another lhd, so idk why theyd want hanifin.

Its about the only thing I could think that they would want.

They aren't going to take a poo poo platter of 3 quarters for a dollar and trading a forward for forward doesn't make sense for them.

If Hanifin was RHS that would be exactly what they need and as mentioned TO media has mentioned that the team was split between him and Marner so that was a fit and really their LHS d isn't great as Hainsey and Gardner suck so Hanifin would improve the defense. But really I think the inquired means a whole lot of nothing and there is about a 1% (if that) chance of a deal happening.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Tkachuk-Lindhom-Nylander
Bennett-Backlund-Czarnik
Frolik-Janko-Ryan

giphy.gif

(disgustingly good if you don't get it)

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
We could offer Gaudreau and it wouldn’t be good enough for that fan base. The only question is if it’s good enough for Toronto’s GM

If hamonic has a comeback year and Bennett shows he can be a solid top six winger, I'm sure they'd change their minds. But Bennett was kinda meh and hamonic had a pretty bad first half.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I'm not going to share my opinions on Korpisalo, but there is no way the Blue Jackets move him since they have gambled so heavily on him being the goalie of the future.

As for your question, I don't think Treliving is any more worried about Smith than he was going into last year. Only difference is, he might be more willing, or able (due to having assets now), to make a move if Smith does go down again. Also, SMith may be a year older, but so are Gillies and Rittich and last season despite them struggling when Smith was out, gained some very valuable experience in the NHL, so they will be better prepared this season. I think expecting them to come back the same and not show some improvement, is unfair to them.

I also think that Rittich will get more games this year, to keep Smith rested. That was a mistake Gulutzan made last year IMO, he never gave Rittich (or Lack) a chance to keep Smith rested. Perhaps if Gully had given Lack a shot, he may not have flamed out (no pun intended) as quickly as he did. Lack never got his first start until the 10th game of the season and didn't get his 2nd until the 18th. Smith was hurt at the end of the 56th game and we had only started our backup 7 times (Rittich got 5 starts, Lack 2). Despite missing 13 games due to injury, Smith was still 16th in minutes played, which is way too many minutes.

I think the Flames need to sit Smith once every 5 games or so and 1 of every back to back this coming season and if they do that, it will help his durability. I would even implement a plan to start the backups on specific dates allowing him maximum rest (while taking opponents into account).

If it were up to me, what I would do is the following (in brackets are notes regarding B2Bs and how many days off Smith gets without playing a game):

Game 1: Smith
Game 2 ( v. VAN): Rittich (5 days off) - I think this is good early because of China
Games 3-8: Smith
Game 9 (@ MTL): Rittich (3 days off)
Games 10-12: Smith
Game 13 (@ BUF): Rittich (2nd of B2Bs, 2 days off)
Games 14-17: Smith
Game 18 (@ SJS): Rittich (2nd of B2Bs, 5 days off) - 1st on B2B is LAK
Games 19-23: Smith
Game 24 (@ ARZ): Rittich (4 days off)
Games 25-29: Smith
Game 30 (v. NSH): Rittich (1st of B2Bs, 2 days off) - 2nd of B2Bs is EDM
Games 31-32: Smith
Game 33 (@ MIN): Rittich (1st of B2Bs, 3 days off) - 2nd of B2Bs is STL
Games 34-37: Smith
Christmas Break - 4 days off
Games 38-40: Smith
Game 41 (@ DET): Rittich (1st of B2Bs, 2 days off) - 2nd of B2Bs is BOS
Games 42-48: Smith
Game 49 (v. DET): Rittich (2 days off, 1st of B2Bs) - 2nd of B2Bs is EDM
Games 50-51: Smith
All-Star Break & Mandatory 5 day break - 9 days off
Games 52-54: Smith
Game 55 (@ VAN): Rittich (4 days off) - 1st game of 4 game road trip, other 3 games on east coast
Games 56-63: Smith
Game 64 (@ NJD): Rittich (2nd of B2Bs, 3 days off) - 1st of B2Bs is NYI
Games 65-67: Smith
Game 68 (@ ARZ): Rittich (2nd of B2Bs, 3 days off) - 1st of B2Bs is VGK
Games 69-70: Smith
Game 71 (v. NYR): Rittich (1st of B2Bs, 3 days off) - 2nd of B2Bs is WPG
Games 72-74: Smith
Game 75 (@ VAN): Rittich (3 days off) - Smith could play, depending on playoff race
Games 76-80: Smith (this includes a SJS/LAK road B2B) - Rittich could play, depending on playoff race
Game 81 (@ AHM): Rittich (4 days off) - Smith could play, depending on playoff race
Game 82: Depends on playoff race.

Even this would see Smith play 65-69 games, so ideally I would need to find another 5 games or so to get Rittich some starts.

You could give him more starts off play, like of Rittich gets a shutout, give him a second game straight, or if he just has an absolute lights out game, give him a second one.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I do see potential in Rittch. I agree, if he's hot, let him loose. Confidence in a young goalie goes a long way
So can experience. While Rittich and Gillies struggled while Smith was injured, it was very valuable experience playing during the hardest part of the year.

Reactions: Rockmorton

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
And playing with Marner in juniors means you were carried though the OHL

You must be new sweetheart.

Players are pretty much what they are when they’re 17/18. Except if you throw on the maple leaf. In which case your growth curve is beyond anything you could imagine.

Considering Toronto has four players better than Gaudreau... pretty amazing.

7th round pick

Jan 9, 2016
After last years goalie meltdown( And how optimistic i am after our free agent singings/ dougie trade) Would it be totally unrealistic if one or more of dube/foo/magi/rychel/lazar are able to confidentially fill in Roster holes in pre season we do a
Calgary:
M Frolik + M McDonald +maybe a CONDITIONAL 3rd (if plays a certain amount of games or we make it to WCF or we resign) -
Colorado:
Varlomov
?

My dream scenario is with retention to bring Varly down to Froliks cap hit(25%ish)? Obviously it depends on Colorado's faith in their 2 new goalies. BUT after that first line colorado is super hurting for secondary scoring, so i think this is a solid move for both teams ? Colorado has huge cap space and If it works out for Us re sign both Smith and Varly to 2year deal and do 1a/1b ths year( play whoever isnt hurt) with smith transitioning to backup then retirement over the next 24months (varly 2yr 4.25 / Smith 2 years 1.75m)
Again those numbers could be nhl2018 quality but i havnt posted in a few years..

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't think any move for a goalie is realistic at all until the deadline or Smith goes down long-term and the kids begin to falter again.

The thing about goalie development, is that experience and failure can be as effective as success in a goalie learning what it takes.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Varlamov is a great goalie but he’s such a band-aid.

Would love that trade. Don’t see that being enough to land him though.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So, with the Hanifin signing everyone is now signed and the Flames are left with $2.5m cap space.
Next year, the only large contract coming off the books is Smith's $4.2m and the Flames have a ton of RFA's coming due in July 2019 (Bennett, Tkachuk, Foo, Rittich, Mangiapane, etc.)
Looks like Treliving will be doing a lot of fancy two stepping in order to fit everyone under the 2019 salary cap.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So, with the Hanifin signing everyone is now signed and the Flames are left with $2.5m cap space.
Next year, the only large contract coming off the books is Smith's $4.2m and the Flames have a ton of RFA's coming due in July 2019 (Bennett, Tkachuk, Foo, Rittich, Mangiapane, etc.)
Looks like Treliving will be doing a lot of fancy two stepping in order to fit everyone under the 2019 salary cap.

14 million will be available.
6.350 for Chucky

Then it all depends how the rest do.

Calgary's not in any kind of cap trouble. That's all still including the Stones of the world on the contract books.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
$14m - $6.35 = $7.65m cap space with a roster of 16 players (15 currently signed for 2019-2020 + Tkachuk). That leaves $7.65 left to fill the other 7 roster spots. Could be tighter than you think. I think Tre will have to dump some salary next summer. Ie. trade Frolik or Stone for picks and prospects.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
$14m - $6.35 = $7.65m cap space with a roster of 16 players (15 currently signed for 2019-2020 + Tkachuk). That leaves $7.65 left to fill the other 7 roster spots. Could be tighter than you think. I think Tre will have to dump some salary next summer. Ie. trade Frolik or Stone for picks and prospects.
And the cap will probably rise too.

But I do suspect do suspect one or both of Froik and Stone will be moved at the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad