Armchair GM Playoffs- Rd 1- Doblett of Fire (6) vs Puck Time Pilots (11)

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Doblett of Fire

Forwards
Kariya - Sakic - Hossa
Marleau - Datsyuk - Gartner
Stevens - Kopitar - Fleury
Duchene - Matthews - Kucherov

Defense
Coffey - Pietrangelo
Howe - Desjardins
Hedman - Kubina

Goalies
Braden Holtby
Jean Sebastian-Giguere

Press Box
Trevor Linden - Eric Staal - Ed Jovanovski - Alexei Zhitnik

vs

Puck Time Pilots

Forwards
Mirolsav Satan - Mats Sundin - Martin St. Louis
Tomas Holmstrom - Denis Savard - Jason Pominville
Ryan Smyth - Jeremy Roenick - Claude Lemieux
Shawn Burr - Dale Hunter - Dino Ciccarelli

Defense
Scott Niedermayer -Chris Chelios
Darryl Sydor - John Klingberg
Bryan Marchment - Marty McSorley

Goalies
Patrick Roy
Roberto Luongo

Press Box
Steve Thomas - Joe Juneau - Ryan McDonagh - Mikka Kiprusoff

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
It's too bad Roy and Luongo can't play together, I think that decision really put the pressure on the Pilot's lineup. The upside is that Roy should be very fresh for the series, assuming they split the season fairly even, which will be good because Dolbet has firepower. If there was a little more breakaway speed, I could really see a quick counter attacking game catching Dolbet's defense out a fair amount, but I can see the Pilots really dirtying up the game to neutralize some of Doblet's skill.

Reactions: KIRK

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
My biased opinion is I have the higher end talent at every position minus goaltending and enough defensive acumen up front to cover for Coffey and Howe jumping into the play. Roy could steal the series and if Puck Time Pilots can muck it up, grind in the ozone and trap the speed of my wingers, they have a legitimate chance.

Puck Time Pilots also has some pretty great net front presence though so Doblett of Fire needs to get pucks quickly out of the D zone. Getting trapped in the zone could lead to some long exhausting shifts and momentum killers.

Last edited:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I pretty much see it as @Winger for Hire does with two added notes:

1. There's a pretty big drop off from Roy to Holtby.
2. The Puck Time Pilots 2nd and 3rd pairings may be susceptible to Doblett's talent and speed up front.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
This series started off with an upset. Roy dominated game one with a 43 save shutout. Dino Ciccarelli was able to cash in with a PP goal I the second period and the game was an attack/counterattack race after that. With the goalie pulled, Chelios was able to find the empty net with a clear from the circle to the right of Roy to ice the upset.

In game two, Puck Time made the odd move of starting Luongo. The move didn’t cost them the game, although it was a 3-1 loss. Bobby Lou made 38 saves, but one goal wasn’t going to be enough as Theo, Coffey, and Sakic all found the back of the net.

Game 3 found Roy back in net. Again, the goalie change wasn’t the reason for a 4-0 loss. Datsyuk and Kopitar did their parts to shutdown whichever line they were thrown against. Matthews and Kucherov ended up taking advantages of Puck Time trying to generate offense against their line, potting a goal each and Howe potting a pair from the point.

Game 4 was almost a carbon copy of game three. Matthews potted a goal early. Puck Time answered back with St Louis and Roenick tallying 1 minute apart. McSorley got called for the rare “closing hand on the puck” in the crease during a scramble in front of Luongo, leading to Datsyuk making highlight reels everywhere by getting Luongo to commit early to the backhand, pulling it back and chipping it over a flailing leg. This led to a goalie change and a cold Roy was victimized shortly after by a tic-tack-toe clinic by Coffee, Hossa, Kariya. As icing on the cake, Kevin Stevens powered his way to an empty net goal by trucking Sydor at the blueline and fighting off Ryan Smyth’s stick checks and desperate jersey grabs.

Game 5 was marked by Puck Time’s goalie carousel going pear-shaped. Both goalies seemed uninspired and rhythmless. Both Hedman and Howe scored on soft floaters towards the net. Kariya, Matthews, and Datsyuk find pay-dirt while Puck Time can only muster a dirty goal from Holmstrom and a late third period goal by St. Louis.

Doblett advance 4-1

Reactions: Shady Machine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad