Armchair GM...Lose one player

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Gaudreau. I would have picked Elvis but a replacement would be tough to find.

I think JG needs special linemates a la Lindholm & Tkachuk to reach his peak. I'm not sure CBJ can accomplish that.

That being said I'm not sure what the freed up cap space would be used for. Best way to move him is probably for a couple 4 -5 million mid 20's establish NHLers and a pick or a prospect. Acquiring team would have to have the linemates to ensure his success. Probably goes to a contender who think they need an offensive burst for a Cup run.

Reactions: VT

Bobcat205

addicted to the grind
Sep 22, 2023
your local KFC
If you're just removing a contract like an amnesty buyout...

I buy out Elvis's deal and then immediately sign him back on for a more team-friendly term and cost.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
of those three options, anyone not immediately saying elvis simply does not know puck.

a 16 game sample of gaudreau does not come close to the previous two years of elvis. even if elvis was or continues to be league average, he'd still be the answer among those three.

if we're looking at the entire roster, the 'proper' answer is probably severson or gudbranson. there are small sample sizes at play there, too (severson is better than he's shown and gudbranson has overperformed).

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Elvis easily. You can find or acquire a league average goalie for cheaper than what we are paying Elvis. He falls in line with the Wennberg contract for me - Jarmo gave it out too soon based on too small a sample size.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
If I had to pick one, I guess Elvis. But my preferred option would be that the mythical amnesty buyout could be pushed to the offseason and we get the full year to see how these 3 rebound.

Reactions: majormajor

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
1-Merzlikins 2-Laine 3-Gaudreau 4-Werenski

The (starting) goalie has a much bigger impact on the game than any other position.

It’s a toss up between Gaudreau/Werenski but defense is still the more important position at the moment and the D takes a bigger hit with Werenski out.

We still need another center.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Gaudreau. I would have picked Elvis but a replacement would be tough to find.

I think JG needs special linemates a la Lindholm & Tkachuk to reach his peak. I'm not sure CBJ can accomplish that.

That being said I'm not sure what the freed up cap space would be used for. Best way to move him is probably for a couple 4 -5 million mid 20's establish NHLers and a pick or a prospect. Acquiring team would have to have the linemates to ensure his success. Probably goes to a contender who think they need an offensive burst for a Cup run.
Did you not see Gaudreau carry Monahan for years before ever playing with Tkachuk or Lindholm?

Some of you guys just have no idea how good this guy can be. Don't let a cold start in a new system fool you.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Did you not see Gaudreau carry Monahan for years before ever playing with Tkachuk or Lindholm?

Some of you guys just have no idea how good this guy can be. Don't let a cold start in a new system fool you.

If you saw in the Gaudreau thread, he's around tenth in the league in high danger assists, he's mostly just snakebitten. Still a good player that will break out of this soon.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It’s Elvis and it’s not close.

Laine would be 2nd.

Right now Laine is the worst player but with where the team is at in the rebuild you might as well see if Laine can figure something out. His deal is up in two years. If he doesn't have it, then we let him go then.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

DankoCBJ

Feb 19, 2022
The problem is that our top guys Gaudreau and Laine have no mutual chemistry what so ever. And based on what we have seen there wont be any chemistry. One of them needs to go.

I think Gaudreau is eventually going to be okay but injury prone Laine is the one we need to let go of.

Reactions: thebus88

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Elvis is the easy choice, dude is way overpaid for way too long and he's not consistent.

Gaudreau is still a star, this team utterly sucks and he needs a decent center to find chemistry with.

Laine looks like he's still injured and not anywhere close to 100%. He was, when healthy, this team's best player under Larsen. He appears to be trying to hard and he's way too slow right now. It's rough to watch.

Werenski has also been bad and probably has the highest trade value. I'd be interested to hear what teams would offer for him and if he'd waive. I don't think this team is going anywhere if he's your highest paid dman. The way he plays defense is not good enough and no where near consistent enough.

That all being said, if I had to rank them it'd be:

1. Laine - makes less, easy target to ship out and they didn't commit long term to him. Teams will want his goal scoring ability too.

2. Elvis - this is only happening if they decide to buy him out. No team wants that contract.

*massive gap*

3. Gaudreau - only if he wants out and is willing to waive. Might need to retain too.

4. Werenski - this organization loves him, he signed long term and one of few that "stuck around". They'll never trade him unless he wants out. Kinda like they'll never take him off the Powerplay.

Reactions: ViD

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Elvis.
JG has a track record. he may have a lot of years but he can be productive.
Zach will be fine.

Elvis's good part of the resume was several seasons ago. he's better this year than last but overpaid and not even a top half goalie.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Unfortunately the problem is not just one player. It appears we have two major problems.
1. The guys we gave big contracts to (Elvis, ZW, JG, Laine, Severson) are pretty bad. These players were supposed to be the cornerstones of the rebuild.
2. The prospects aren't as good as many hoped. We've had 6 first round draft picks in the last three drafts. We have maybe one or two top of the line up players to show for it. While this sounds bad, it's actually about average. History shows at least 60% of first round picks fail live up to expectations.

So what do we do now? Double down on the rebuild or admit it was a failure and start over?

There is no good or obvious choice here. We have a last place team, a lame duck GM, and multiple unmovable contracts.

I've never been more pessimistic as a CBJ fan.

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
Unfortunately the problem is not just one player. It appears we have two major problems.
1. The guys we gave big contracts to (Elvis, ZW, JG, Laine, Severson) are pretty bad. These players were supposed to be the cornerstones of the rebuild.
2. The prospects aren't as good as many hoped. We've had 6 first round draft picks in the last three drafts. We have maybe one or two top of the line up players to show for it. While this sounds bad, it's actually about average. History shows at least 60% of first round picks fail live up to expectations.

So what do we do now? Double down on the rebuild or admit it was a failure and start over?

There is no good or obvious choice here. We have a last place team, a lame duck GM, and multiple unmovable contracts.

I've never been more pessimistic as a CBJ fan.
aren't we still in the rebuild ? lol Elvis and ZW ( hes leading the team in points with 10 games played -3 ) have been great so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad