Arm Chair GM

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
If we look at it line by line

Keller/Stepan/Panik (they we're great down the stretch, no reason to think that this won't carry over)
Domi/Strome (they worked great together, need someone who can hold it down low and create space for these two playmakers)
Perlini/Dvorak/Fischer (they didn't get a ton of time together, but I think this line can work and improve together)
Other than Cousins and I think Cousins stats were a fluke, let's see him do it 2 years in a row, I wouldn't mind a complete overhaul of the 4th line. As argued, Bunting would be my choice to replace Martinook.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think Domi will be packaged in a deal for either Hamilton or Barrie. We will try to address RD position.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I think Domi will be packaged in a deal for either Hamilton or Barrie. We will try to address RD position.

Ugh, I wouldnt be shocked either. There felt like a rift between the org and Domi around the Duclair trade. But he also played so well with Strome and Chayka should know that this rebuild really will rely on Stromes success or winning the Hughes lotto to be successful.

His stress on the importance on depth on defense does make me think a move like this isnt off the table.

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
These kids don't mature over night. Let's be patient and give them another year. We are still rebuilding and it takes the kids time to get traction. Perlini is inconsistent, just like most kids playing in the NHL. It can take up to five years for players to develop.

Tell that to Chayka. He doesn't seem content on riding out all of the youth when he's making comments to the public on how we need better players (at the forward position). That was the point of my entire post.

We will see in the summer.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
RT said it like it is. We are third last. We have to improve, and to do that the kids have to get better and we need better vets.
I have been advocating for 2 top 6 forwards for a while. Trying to decipher Chayka's comments...what teams have cap issues that he may have been discussing trades? My first thought was Montreal and Paccioretty. No way should Chayka be offering the 1st round pick and I dont see the Coyotes having enough to offer otherwise to get a deal done. Trade bait? To me, the main piece would be Perlini. Crouse maybe? PO Joseph?

Other teams? Maybe Ottawa and Hoffman? Would they deal with a Pacific division team? LA Kings and Toffoli?

Is there a top 6 RW available?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
RT said it like it is. We are third last. We have to improve, and to do that the kids have to get better and we need better vets.
Agreed except for the better vets part. Hard to do without giving up something of value.

I would keep:
OEL/Chych/Demers/Goose/Hammer-solid top 5, Stepan (vet)/Strome(low value high potential and our need at C)/Keller/DVO, #1 pick this year.

I want to keep but would use as trade bait: Domi/Fischer/Perlini/Crouse/Martinook/anyone in the AHL/2nd round or later picks.

If we draft Dahlin, sign a vet scoring winger. If we draft a forward, stand pat, don't chase JVR.

Let our other UFA's walk, don't over pay, sign cheap UFA's to fill any bottom 6 holes.

If we can get RNH in a reasonable trade, I would do it.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Any team trying to sign Tavares will likely sell a forward for cheap. Thise teams should be target #1. Then any team looking to sign Kovy should be number 2. Then TBL, as they have one more year before cap hell beckons. JT Miller is an upcoming rfa, wonder what they do to move his right, especially since he wasnt the main piece of the McDonah trade. I bet a 2nd could get it done, but I think our 3rd and Merkely couls too.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
It may just be coincidental but it seems like Domi turned it around after Duclair was traded and he was almost a PPG in March. I think it'd be foolish to trade him unless it's one of those cannot refuse kind of deals. Plus I feel like he and OEL are kind of the heart and soul of the franchise right now. It was no surprise on fan appreciation night they were both still skating around, tossing stuff to fans well passed when all the other players had left the ice.

Reactions: Jakey53

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Any team trying to sign Tavares will likely sell a forward for cheap. Thise teams should be target #1. Then any team looking to sign Kovy should be number 2. Then TBL, as they have one more year before cap hell beckons. JT Miller is an upcoming rfa, wonder what they do to move his right, especially since he wasnt the main piece of the McDonah trade. I bet a 2nd could get it done, but I think our 3rd and Merkely couls too.
I like your approach.

Kyle003p

Dec 17, 2007
Peoria, Il
It may just be coincidental but it seems like Domi turned it around after Duclair was traded and he was almost a PPG in March. I think it'd be foolish to trade him unless it's one of those cannot refuse kind of deals. Plus I feel like he and OEL are kind of the heart and soul of the franchise right now. It was no surprise on fan appreciation night they were both still skating around, tossing stuff to fans well passed when all the other players had left the ice.

It seemed like something happened around that time where Domi's leash was unhooked and he was allowed to play like he did before the hand injury... Or maybe it just took that long for him to recover. Either way, I think he needs to be able to play with that fire/passion in order to be effective at this level. I really don't want to see him go, I feel like this team needs more players like him, not less

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Tell that to Chayka. He doesn't seem content on riding out all of the youth when he's making comments to the public on how we need better players (at the forward position). That was the point of my entire post.

We will see in the summer.
So far he is sticking with the plan. I hope it's a vet or two that he trades or don't come back. Yes, time will tell.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Agreed except for the better vets part. Hard to do without giving up something of value.

I would keep:
OEL/Chych/Demers/Goose/Hammer-solid top 5, Stepan (vet)/Strome(low value high potential and our need at C)/Keller/DVO, #1 pick this year.

I want to keep but would use as trade bait: Domi/Fischer/Perlini/Crouse/Martinook/anyone in the AHL/2nd round or later picks.

If we draft Dahlin, sign a vet scoring winger. If we draft a forward, stand pat, don't chase JVR.

Let our other UFA's walk, don't over pay, sign cheap UFA's to fill any bottom 6 holes.

If we can get RNH in a reasonable trade, I would do it.
It's funny on these boards when the kids have trouble with consistency it's "trade them, or they are trade bait", but when they are hot it's "Chayka killed it with that pick or wait till he gets more experience etc. I just don't get the talk of trading a Fischer/Perlini/Crouse when none is fully developed. Domi we have a bit more of an idea what type of player he may become, but even then, I wait one more year on him. I would look to upgrade on a Richardson, KConn, Martinook, Rinaldo, and Archibald. We need RW's, so if we trade a Domi for a RW of similar age I would be fine with that, or maybe a kid can slide over and play RW. I'm just scared to trade a kid at this time of their development as I have seen many times how it bites the team in the a--.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I am all for waiting. But Chayka continues to mention making significant moves this offseason, so I believe that is where this discussion is stemming from. Again, to me adding another top 4 RHD through free agency or a minor trade, re-signing one of KConn or Schenn as the 7th D, and adding a top 9 RW would make me happy. I'm not as crazy about the idea of going out and making another splash this offseason, but GMJC has made it sound like that is his plan.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Jakey53 I do agree with you but I also think the GM / Coach are going to react to being 3 last in the league. Whether its true or not they have to "show" the dressing room losing is not an option or an allowable attitude. Yes, we made great strides in the last 3 months. All I would change is Rinaldo and try and get Domi to stop acting like Claude Lemieux.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I have been trying to remember various post games Tocchet conferences, the end of the year press gathering and timing of some rumors this year and my money is that:

1- OEL will be re-signed and made captain; quite candid admissions by both Tocchet and OEL on how their relationships started on the wrong foot and how it has completely turned around. He is now the assumed leader of the franchise, he knows it and wants it. Organisation and coach want that too.

2 - Hammer will be re-signed too. Chayka has mentioned he liked the D, how it has adjusted to the new system. Hammer is a proven winner, same agent as Raanta and OEL. My money is that he will be extended.

3 - Chayka will be true to his words and will make a significant deal (or significant deals) this summer to upgrade the forward positions. The key player that we will trade will be Domi.

Chayka has said a few times that he has had some conversations prior to the trade deadline about big trades and that they will revisited in the summer. This seems to match the rumour in national media about Domi possibly available in February.

National media also had OEL possibly trade bait earlier in the season and we know now that his relationship with Tocchet was not good; so Coyotes smoke in national media might be fire.

I cannot remember a ton of praise post games for Domi by Tocchet, even recently when he heated up. I am not convinced there is a great relationship there.

His skillset is not that unique and he is a RFA. I think he is the one traded as part of a package for an upgrade, maybe another RFA coming back.

All eyes for me is on Montreal who will be a player on Tavares and have Price new contract kicking in. Domi's is cheap as chips next year, not a bad contract for them to take on and test drive Domi for a season. Their prospect pool is not that great, maybe there is one of our younger guys or two who would make sense for them in addition to Domi.

4- Strome is not available. When asked about Strome a few days back, Chayka said there has been progress and that big centers who can produce like that are unicorns. They have taken this path of making him earn everything, and he has responded.

5- Perlini. I remember Tocchet saying on his goal against Tampa that you cannot teach that type of goalscoring. Was also complimenting his play against the boards and improvements about it. This made me think he will be here next year.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Chayka has made multiple comments about needing to improve up front and being happy with the D core. I don't see him trading an effective roster forward for another D. That's contrary to his statements of late.

Reactions: Heldig

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I think Domi is a better player than his current trade value. Bad time to trade him.

My take (and it is a WIDE guess in the Armchair thread #disclaimer) is that they are seeing Domi as part of the problem; not the solution. And if they won't consider extending him, they will trade him.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
My take (and it is a WIDE guess in the Armchair thread #disclaimer) is that they are seeing Domi as part of the problem; not the solution. And if they won't consider extending him, they will trade him.

Listened to Tocchs last presser.
"Its hard to be a playoff team, what as an indivdual are you willing to do? Are you willing to come into camp in the best shape of your life, are you a culture guy, do you want to turn the culture around? Are you a buy in guy, who are you? That's what we are looking to have here and Im not scared to say that we are not scared to get rid of the guys who are not. And we are going to have to get rid of certain guys, not to be a negative, thats just the way it is. And I think we have to embrace that and John isnt afraid to go that route. There are certain characteristics that I love about this team, and certain things I dont like that we have to change and we have to sort out this summer. But like I said to you guys, you have to be in the best shape of your life to turn this thing around and if you dont there will be consequences".

This sounds in line to what happened with Duke.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
"Its hard to be a playoff team, what as an indivdual are you willing to do? Are you willing to come into camp in the best shape of your life, are you a culture guy, do you want to turn the culture around? Are you a buy in guy, who are you? That's what we are looking to have here and Im not scared to say that we are not scared to get rid of the guys who are not. And we are going to have to get rid of certain guys, not to be a negative, thats just the way it is. And I think we have to embrace that and John isnt afraid to go that route. There are certain characteristics that I love about this team, and certain things I dont like that we have to change and we have to sort out this summer. But like I said to you guys, you have to be in the best shape of your life to turn this thing around and if you dont there will be consequences".

Exactly - and I think that you could see how the offense functioned with and without Duclair - even though he did produce offense, it always seemed like what was being produced was outside of the "flow" of the offense.

I think there are only 2 or 3 players that fit the mold that Chayka was stating in the above statement: Domi, Perlini, and Hjalmarsson. I would not be happy if any of these players get traded, as I think there is a lot of value in each, but if the buy in isn't there, then you have to go. I wonder how long Turris would have lasted with Tocchet as head coach...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Is Tocchet saying that there are currently negative guys to bthe removed or that if new guys are negative or current guys become negative that they would need to be removed? The first time I read it, I took it as “Yeah, we can’t have negativity around here so if guys get negative they gotta fix t or we’ll ditch them” - like maybe he was talking about Duclair. The second time I read it, I took it more like Duclair was part of the problem but there are still more guys still on the team that need to go.

It’s interesting. The energy around the team seems so positive. I’m surprised there are problem children still around. I hope Tocchet was just expressing himself poorly (he’s really a terrible speaker, like whoa bad).

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
It sounds like some people will be moved still. I think he is alluding that some people never bought into the culture change, buy-in or offseason workout regiment and those players wont be back. It seems like a pretty aggressive statement going into tje offseason because moves need to happen before camp so how do you evaluate the players offseason routine?

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017

Also sounds like a good warning for next season. Players can't come into camp out of shape. Shouldn't have happened this season and it shouldn't going forward. My guess is that the Yotes are looking to start off stronger next season (well, who wouldn't? lol). Obviously, they set the bar almost as low as it can be this season in terms of starts, but they probably want to be winning 50-60% of games/points earlier next season. Pulled that number out of the air, and yea... what team doesn't wanna start well? But I think it's going to be an emphasized thing for this team.

I've been reading this thread about who we all think is the player or players that Chayka might move to make those significant trades. He's really got his work cut out for him here... probably one of the more difficult/risky trades he will have, imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad