Horse Racing: Arkansas Derby day recap: $41,000,000 bet, Nadal and Charlatan win Ky. Derby preps

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Saturday, November 2, 2019
BREEDERS' CUP SATURDAY
EIY2z93W4AAq4p4.jpg

Aqueduct (New York):
  • Junior Alvarado won three times.
  • Race 9: Golden Award (Junior Alvarado/Bill Mott) won the $150,000 Grade 3 Turnback the Alarm Handicap.
  • Race 10: Him She Kisses (Gary Richards/Gary Contessa) won the finale at 30-1 and paid $63.50. Once again, strange things seem to happen in New York finales. The runner up was sent off at 22-to-1. The $2 exacta was $1,372. The $.50 tri almost $1,700. Richards won for the first time since 2016. The 55-year-old rarely rides.
Laurel (Maryland):
  • Race 2: Ashley Castrenze won her only mount and paid $17.20. She was 3-for-3 the past two days. :thumbu:
  • Race 10: A 12-14-13 finish.
  • Race day: Off the turf.
Gulfstream Park West (Florida):
  • Race 8: Fort McHenry (Edgard Zayas/Todd Pletcher), who was purchased for $1.1 million, broke his maiden in a $48,000 MSW in his third start. High profile owners based in Ireland
Santa Anita (California):
  • Handle: Daily Racing Form reported wagering of $152.5 million on the 14 Breeders' Cup races, an increase of 11.9% from 2018. Total wagering on the Friday and Saturday cards (including non-Breeders' Cup races) was $174.6 million, also an all-time high, according to Daily Racing Form.
  • Attendance: 67,811.
  • Irad Ortiz, Jr. finished 12 4-0-2 in Breeders' Cup races. Ortiz boosted his record to 9 for 53 in the Breeders’ Cup. For the second straight year, Ortiz won the Bill Shoemaker Award for outstanding Breeders’ Cup performance. He had a successful weekend.
BC19.Vino%20Rosso.Ortiz,%20Irad%20Jr04.11-2-19.BL__0.jpg
  • Flavien Prat was the only rider with mounts in all 14 races. He finished 14 1-4-4. Nine times hitting the board obliterated the previous Breeders' Cup record of six accomplished seven times.
  • The 14 Breeders' Cup races (Jockey winners): Irad Ortiz, Jr (4 wins), Javier Castellano (2), Joel Rosario (2), Joe Bravo (1), Ricardo Santana, Jr. (1), Wayne Lordon (1), Flavien Prat (1), Jose Ortiz (1), Manny Franco (1). Terrific numbers for the east coast riders.
  • The 14 Breeders' Cup races (Trainer winners): Chad Brown (3 wins), Brad Cox (2), Todd Pletcher (1), Steve Asmussen (1), Ignacio Correas IV (1), Joseph O'Brien (1), Wesley Ward (1), Graham Motion (1), Peter Miller (1), Juan Guerrero (1), Peter Eurton (1). More balanced than the rider standings.
  • Chad Brown won three of the six races in which he entered. Overall, including dual entries, he finished 8 3-0-2.
  • John Velazquez and Mike Smith, two of the many members of the Hall of Fame still active, unexpectedly went 0-for-18 combined. Velazquez rode in his 22nd consecutive Breeders' Cup which snapped the mark of 21 shared with Pat Day.
  • Race 4: Covfefe (Joel Rosario/Brad Cox) won the $1 million filly and mare sprint. She is 8 6-0-1 lifetime. She was sent off the 3-to-2 favorite.
BREEDERS-CUP.jpg
  • Race 5: Belvoir Bay (Javier Castellano/Peter Miller) won the $1,000,000 turf sprint. Miller finished 1st and 2nd among his three starters. The jockey won a Breeders' Cup race for the 8th straight a year, a first by any rider. The 6-year-old mare is 28 12-6-2 lifetime with eight victories at Santa Anita. She was sent off at 14-to-1 and topped a $1 exacta that returned $133.70 which was amongst the highest payouts of the weekend. Belvoir Bay broke the track record for the Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint, covering the five-furlong trip in 54.83 seconds.
zzz191102_eclipsesportswire_John%20Voorhees_11592.jpg
  • Race 6: Spun to Run (Irad Ortiz, Jr./Juan Carlos Guerrero) won the $1 million dirt mile. The 3-year-old colt, who had run his last three races at Parx (Pennsylvania), is officially a millionaire in earnings and is 11 5-1-3 lifetime.
Spun_to_Run_Breeders_Cup_615x400_1_orig.jpg
  • Race 7: Iridessa (Wayne Lordon/Joseph O'Brien) won the $2 million filly and mare turf. The 26-year-old O'Brien is the youngest person to train a Breeders' Cup winner. His father trained a competitor in the race.
ObrienBreedersCup.jpg
  • Race 8: Mitole (Ricardo Santana, Jr./Steve Asmussen) closed to win the $2,000,000 sprint. The 4-year-old colt is 14 10-2-2 lifetime with over $3 million earned.
18b6e4_breeders-cup-sprint-horse-racing-56094-ricardo-santana-jr-aboard-mitole-640x427.jpg
  • Race 9: Uni (Joel Rosario/Chad Brown) won the $2,000,000 TVG mile. The only two female horses in the race topped the ticket. The 5-year-old mare is aging gracefully as she is 8 7-1-0 the past two years and 18 10-3-3 lifetime. Colorado Avalanche defenseman Erik Johnson sent out Bowies Hero who finished fifth. He co-owns the 5-year-old horse with others. There was a dead heat...for 11th place in this race.
c65eef005af41841cecd0542400e781045eb310c.jpg
  • Race 10: Blue Prize (Joe Bravo/Ignacio Correas, IV) won the $2,000,000 distaff. The Argentinian-bred paid $19.80, is 6-years-old, 23 10-8-3 lifetime and has earned $2.69 million. It was Bravo's first win in a Breeders' Cup races with his 21st lifetime mount. Midnight Bisou (Mike Smith/Steve Asmussen) was runner up at even money odds. She entered with a 7-race win streak and is now 19 12-4-3, $3.75 million in career earnings. The trainer, who comes from a long line of horsemen originating in Argentina dating back over 100 years, won a Breeders' Cup race for the first time in his second try.

• Race 11: Bricks and Mortar (Irad Ortiz, Jr./Chad Brown) won the $4,000,000 turf. The 5-year-old is 134 11-0-2 lifetime and has won his last seven starts including a perfect 6-for-6 in 2019. He has earned a remarkable $7,000,000+ (approximate on my part: now officially listed at $7,085,650) and is possibly the leading contender for Horse of the Year. United (Flavien Prat/Richard Mandella) came in second spot at 51-to-1 which was the longest odds on the board. The winning trainer has 15 lifetime Breeders' Cup wins.

• Race 12: Vino Rosso (Irad Ortiz, Jr./Todd Pletcher) won the $6,000,000 Breeders' Cup Classic and improved his lifetime mark to 15 6-1-3 and $4.8 million in earnings. Among the owners are Vinny Viola (Florida Panthers) and Mike Repole (co-founded Vitaminwater, later sold to Coca-Cola for over $4 billion) who made a $410,000 purchase at the 2016 Keeneland September Yearling Sale. It was the 11th Breeders' Cup win for the Hall-of-Fame trainer and his first Classic victory. McKinzie (Joel Rosario/Bob Baffert), sent off the favorite, placed. Higher Power (Flavien Prat/John Sadler) finished third. The $1 Pick 6 paid over $55,000. The Pick 6 Jackpot exceeded $5 million. Rough math by me shows about $28,000,000 million bet on this race.

AAJLe3a.img

Last edited:
Reactions: Orr Fourever

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Bricks and Mortar wins the Turf. Never ran this distance before, not even the target race. What a training job.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Mongolian Groom was injured in the stretch, you can see him getting pulled up in the shot (bright blue leg wraps actually makes him stand out). Didn’t sound good. Hopefully he’s ok not just for the safety of the horse, but that’s ultimately going to be the story that’s picked up on coming out of this. Well documented the issues Santa Anita has had, almost got through this without something happening.

Vino Rosso was very clearly much the best horse here, good for all those connections, including Pletcher who I forgot had never won this race. McKinzie also a very good horse, maybe moved too early. Questioning Baffert isn’t always smart, but that’s the risk when you’re taking Mike Smith off a horse under your own volition.

Chad Brown - age 40 - already tied for 2nd all time in breeders cup wins for trainers.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Mongolian Groom was injured in the stretch, you can see him getting pulled up in the shot (bright blue leg wraps actually makes him stand out). Didn’t sound good. Hopefully he’s ok not just for the safety of the horse, but that’s ultimately going to be the story that’s picked up on coming out of this. Well documented the issues Santa Anita has had, almost got through this without something happening.

Vino Rosso was very clearly much the best horse here, good for all those connections, including Pletcher who I forgot had never won this race. McKinzie also a very good horse, maybe moved too early. Questioning Baffert isn’t always smart, but that’s the risk when you’re taking Mike Smith off a horse under your own volition.

Chad Brown - age 40 - already tied for 2nd all time in breeders cup wins for trainers.

From Bloodhorse...

"Mongolian Groom was pulled up at the top of the stretch with an injury, a serious injury, to his left-hind ankle," said Dr. Scott Palmer, AAEP on call veterinarian. "The horse was loaded into an ambulance and taken to the Santa Anita equine hospital and has been evaluated by a team of veterinarians. According to Dr. Jeff Blea, who is a private practitioner that works here at Santa Anita, the injury is a serious one and at this point they are trying to work with the connections of the horse and make some decisions about treatment options they'd like to pursue."

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I went 0 fer the day. O well next year. I'll start watching the colts for next years Derby.

The Breeders' Cup is a difficult weekend in which to handicap. There are constant variables in play including horses coming in from other countries and how they will run. When Mike Smith and John Velazquez -- as I listed in my summary -- combine to go 0-fer that should emphasize the point. However, the Ortiz brothers and others are younger and getting top mounts.

Vino Rosso -- I have a history with the horse going back to the 2018 Wood Memorial and the frustration with the New York stewards -- but he was my most solid of picks this weekend. I had five winners in the 14 races (Bricks and Mortar, Mitole, Covfefe, British Idiom and Vino Rosso), not all were played; some winners were short prices.

It is upsetting that the final race had the tragedy and how some will now increase their desires against the sport. There are plenty of hardworking people who get little or no exposure who love these animals. T-breds are born to run. Seeing them go down is nauseating. They can be the most fragile of animal while also being the most virile. They offer a calming presence to those on the backside whose families are raised with these beauties. They will be injured or worse even without the sport's existence. It happens on farms and elsewhere. Without the sport, the breed will fall in reproduction numbers. This is not a wicked sport.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The focus is heightened because it's one of the few days of the year the sport is visible. The issues at Santa Anita have still been covered even without big races. Ordinarily, this incident would not be laid at the feet of the track - this has happened before at this event and on other tracks. The speculation is that the horse clipped heels with War of Will. However, SA is not going to get the benefit of the doubt. Frankly, I've been fearing all year that the stage was being set for something worse, but the added veterinary presence was more aggressive in determining potential danger of the horses and scratching them.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I can't defend this sport anymore
1k dead horses a year (that's the number over the last 5 years) is a heck of a lot, and at a far higher proportional rate than that in other countries...

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I. Ortiz, J. Ortiz, Castellano and Bravo are riding in New York today after winning BC races in California yesterday.

If I were I. Ortiz and had just won 4 BC races including The Classic, you wouldn't be able to find me for a week:laugh:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I can't defend this sport anymore
1k dead horses a year (that's the number over the last 5 years) is a heck of a lot, and at a far higher proportional rate than that in other countries...
I always wondered what the numbers in other countries were. But a lot of them focus more on turf racing.

I. Ortiz, J. Ortiz, Castellano and Bravo are riding in New York today after winning BC races in California yesterday.

If I were I. Ortiz and had just won 4 BC races including The Classic, you wouldn't be able to find me for a week:laugh:
That's life in the business. Commitments are made.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Sunday, November 3, 2019

Aqueduct (New York):
  • Irad Ortiz, Jr., Manny Franco and Junior Alvarado each won twice. Irad hit the board six times on eight mounts. Alvarado leads the meet after the opening weekend with 5 wins and is 31%.
  • Race 1: Autonomous (Javier Castellano/Chad Brown) won the opener. The rider and trainer both had multiple wins at the Breeders' Cup.
  • Race 5: Speaktomeofsummer (Junior Alvarado/Christophe Clement) won the turf race at 17-to-1. Clement just may be the second best turf trainer in New York. This was part of last Sunday's card at Belmont canceled due to torrential rains and high winds.

• Race 8: Empressof the Nile (Irad Ortiz, Jr./Graham Motion) won the $128,000 1 1/2 mile race that was scheduled to be last Sunday at Belmont.
  • Race 9: Independence Hall (Jose Ortiz/Michael Trombetta), who broke his maiden appropriately enough in Philadelphia Parx, romped to a 12-length win in the $150,000 Nashua Stakes for 2-year olds. He is now 2 2-0-0 lifetime and received a 101 Beyer Speed Figure for this race.

Laurel (Maryland):

• Ashley Castrenze had a couple of solid chances to win but lost the opener on an even money shot. She added one victory for a total of four since Friday. She also finished third on a 45-to-1 shot today. Her extended weekend was 8 4-0-1.
  • Sheldon Russell leads the meet with 24 wins.
  • Carol Cedeno, who won this summer's meet at Delaware, got her first victory of the meet on a first-time starter and ended the day 35 1-1-8.
Churchill Downs (Kentucky):
  • Ricardo Santana, Jr.-Steve Asmussen, a potent combination, won consecutive races. The jockey is 32% this meet and second in wins. Asmussen is the leading trainer in wins and is hitting at a 30% clip.
  • Race 6: Wyoming Conquest, a first-time starter, was bred in Wyoming and finished third at 20-to-1.
  • Corey Lanerie, aka Mr. Kentucky, leads the meet with 12 wins.
  • Leonel Reyes, who leads the standings with 22 victories just one ahead of bug rider Cristian Torres, will be out approximately two weeks. I believe he has a fractured arm and possibly a broken jaw.
Santa Anita (California):
  • Closing day: Today is closing day. Onto Del Mar for about three weeks and then Los Alamitos for most of December. Santa Anita returns on December 26.
  • Leading riders: Abel Cedillo and Flavien Prat tied for the title with 21 wins.
  • Leading trainer: Doug O'Neill with 22 wins.
  • Pick 6: "The 20-cent Rainbow pick six pool swelled by $3,003,292 on Sunday's closing program of the autumn meeting, a day with a mandatory payout. The bet began with a carryover of $436,836 from Thursday. The Rainbow pick six was not offered on Friday and Saturday on the Breeders' Cup program," Steve Anderson of the DRF.
  • Race 7: Tinsel Town Queen (Joel Rosario/Kirsten Mulhall), the only first-time starter in the race, won at 5-to-1.
  • Toinette (Flavien Prat/Neil Drysdale) won the $200,000 Grade 2 Goldikova Stakes.

Woodbine (Ontario):

• Eurico Da Silva won six times, tied for his personal best, including four straight wins beginning with the fourth race. It was his third six-win day this year. No other rider has won six on a card at the track since 2013. Da Silva, who is retiring next month, rode the entire card and finished 10 6-1-1. His first win was in the opener on Goodoldhockeygame.
  • Race 8: Special Forces (Eurico Da Silva/Kevin Attard) won the $210,000 Grade 2 Autumn Stakes. The second choice on the board out-battled the favorite.

Last edited:
Reactions: Orr Fourever

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Monday, November 4, 2019
  • Yoshida has been retired with $2.5 million in earnings. The Japan-bred finished 18 5-4-1.
Parx (Pennsylvania):
  • Handle: Over $2 million for a Monday card. Not bad. One of the few venues open.
  • Race 1: Jeremy Rose snapped a 7-race losing streak dating back to almost a month ago. Winning trainer was Anthony Pecoraro for whom Rose rides most often. It was his first ride in 10 days as he usually limits himself to the mid-Atlantic tracks. His wonderful 2019 is now 106 33-13-8 (31%/56%), the winning percentage would be a career-best if it holds.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

Irad Ortiz made a comment a few months ago that he will ride any horse, any time. it was in response to an interviewer using the word "cheap(er)" as a comparative to higher profile races.

The big boys head to south Florida for the Championship Meet which starts in December and runs until early April. New York racing takes a back seat to Florida in terms of the limelight. Last year, Irad battled Luis Saez down to the wire for the important meet's title. The two dominated (135-134 in wins, IIRC), about sixty more than the third place finisher. Look for Irad again at this meet. He will in all likelihood be one of the three finalists for Eclipse Jockey of the Year. (I used "Irad" so not to be confused with his brother Jose who is equally skilled and successful).

Interestingly, this is from a DRF article posted a few hours ago.

For Irad Ortiz Jr., focus on Breeders' Cup pays off handsomely

At the Belmont Park fall meet – one that he led all riders in wins for five consecutive years – Ortiz won just 20 races, ninth in the standings. While his upper tier business was solid, his day-to-day business was not.

“My agent and I spoke about it,” Ortiz said, referring to his agent Steve Rushing, “and he told me ‘The Breeders’ Cup can make the whole year. We have good mounts, concentrate on the Breeders’ Cup,’ so I did.”​

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Irad Ortiz made a comment a few months ago that he will ride any horse, any time. it was in response to an interviewer using the word "cheap(er)" as a comparative to higher profile races.

Great stuff, MSE! Thanks.

He could have added "anywhere".

Two years ago this month I was headed to Buffalo to watch the Bluejackets play the Sabres and I stopped at Mahoning Valley Racing to play a few races on their live card. It just so happened that there were multiple stakes races on the card that day. The biggest purse wasn't any more than $200,000. Who was there riding multiple mounts? You guessed it. Irad Ortiz-his brother was there as well. In Youngstown, Ohio on a miserable cold and snowy day!

Just noticed this while looking up past Jockey Eclipse winners. Mike Smith won the Eclipse for best jockey in 1993 and 1994. It blows my mind that he rides at such a high level 25 years later albeit with a minimal number of mounts.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Great stuff, MSE! Thanks.

He could have added "anywhere".

Two years ago this month I was headed to Buffalo to watch the Bluejackets play the Sabres and I stopped at Mahoning Valley Racing to play a few races on their live card. It just so happened that there were multiple stakes races on the card that day. The biggest purse wasn't any more than $200,000. Who was there riding multiple mounts? You guessed it. Irad Ortiz-his brother was there as well. In Youngstown, Ohio on a miserable cold and snowy day!

Just noticed this while looking up past Jockey Eclipse winners. Mike Smith won the Eclipse for best jockey in 1993 and 1994. It blows my mind that he rides at such a high level 25 years later albeit with a minimal number of mounts.

He probably did say anywhere but it was part of an interview at Gulfstream and nothing I saw in print. ;)

The method in which jockeys get paid could lead to a confusing explanation but basically it is a prearranged percentage of the purse. Irad likely made over half a million dollars for Saturday alone.

Some of these guys will ride on days such as Monday or Tuesday in Ohio or Philly when bigger tracks are dark. It can be for different reasons including establishing stronger relationships with trainers or owners.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The method in which jockeys get paid could lead to a confusing explanation but basically it is a prearranged percentage of the purse. Irad likely made over half a million dollars for Saturday alone.

Some of these guys will ride on days such as Monday or Tuesday in Ohio or Philly when bigger tracks are dark. It can be for different reasons including establishing stronger relationships with trainers or owners.

It's all about relationships in this game. No doubt.

I was in a partnership which owned a few horses and our "go to" jockey chose other mounts in 3 consecutive races (none of which he won-haha!) due to his more important relationship with a more prominent trainer. There were no hard feelings-just a lot of good spirited ribbing-as it was a rational decision by the jockey and his agent.

I forget which Ortiz it was, but a few years ago he rode almost every monday and tuesday in Philly. IIRC, he was in the hunt for the leading win rider in the country and was trying to get that title.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
This is a figure for any one year. John Velazquez is the career leader with over $413,000,000 earned for his owners, trainers and himself.

EIpPgHDW4AU8AjZ.jpg:large

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Update on three 2019 Breeders' Cup winners:
  1. Vino Rosso has been retired to stud. His stud fee will be $30,000.
  2. Mitole has been retired to stud. His stud fee will be $25,000.
  3. Blue Prize has been purchased for $5,000,000 by Larry Best, the former exec of Boston Scientific at the ongoing Keeneland sale. "I'm now a breeder and I now have a Breeders' Cup champion," laughed Best. "This may be the only way I ever get one." Best said that Blue Prize will now be retired but no stallions have been named to breed with her.
Larry Best bought an Uncle Mo weanling -- a bay filly -- for $700,000, the highest price for a baby during the one-day sale. The man is not shy.

UPDATE: Final figures on the one-day sale which includes Blue Prize being sold for $5,000,000.

Blue Prize Leads Strong Edition of The November Sale - BloodHorse

From 221 entered in the one-day sale, Fasig-Tipton reported 128 horses grossed $68,011,000 for an average price of $531,336 and a $300,000 median. Last year, 140 head sold for $89,473,000, an average of $639,093, and a $327,500 median. The 40 horses that went unsold this year represented an RNA rate of 23.8%.

Blue Prize led a group of 18 horses sold for seven figures.​

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Churchill Downs (Kentucky):
  • Race 5: Flatoutandfoxy (Calvin Borel/Renay Borel) gave the trainer her first lifetime win with her third starter. Renay is Calvin's wife and took control of the stable of recently retired Cecil who is the jockey's brother. Fun times at the oval today for the Borel family. The $.50 Pick 5 paid over $33,000.
  • Race 8: Optimal (Joe Rocco, Jr./Lee Rossi) won at 69-to-1, the second longest odds on the board and paid $141/$41/$14. The $.50 Pick 3 paid over $2,100.
  • Race 10: The $1 Pick 4 paid over $7,000. The $1 Pick 5 paid over $31,000.
  • Mike Napoli, former MLB player turned horse owner, won with his only starter. He is 121 47-19-18 in his first year of ownership. He is winning at a 39% clip.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
COMMONWEALTH TURF STAKES
What: Grade 3.
Where: Churchill Downs, Louisville, KY
When: Saturday, November 9, 2019, Race 10
Time: 5:36 pm Eastern Time
Who: 3-year-olds
Distance: 1 1/16 mile
Surface: Turf
Purse: $175,000
TV: TVG
History: Inaugurated in 2004.
Note: I don't know how many will enter but 16 are scheduled to run. The max. number in the starting gate.

[TR][TH]PPHorseJockeyWgtTrainerM/L
1Tobacco Road (KY)Alex Achard118John Ennis-
2Osage Moon (KY)Miguel Mena118Mark E. Casse-
3Clint Maroon (GB)Channing Hill120Wayne M. Catalano-
4Pirate's Punch (KY)Robby Albarado118Grant T. Forster-
5Marquee Prince (KY)Tyler Gaffalione120Brad H. Cox-
6Spectacular Gem (KY)James Graham120James E. Baker-
7Tracksmith (KY)Brian Joseph Hernandez, Jr.120Joe Sharp-
8Tiz Plus (KY)Ricardo Santana, Jr.118Steven M. Asmussen-
9Knicks Go (MD)Gabriel Saez118Ben Colebrook-
10Armistice Day (KY)Corey J. Lanerie120Barbara J. Minshall-
11Mr Dumas (KY)Joseph Rocco, Jr.118John Alexander Ortiz-