Arizona (Phoenix) Coyotes 1996-2024

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I don't know if this is a thread that really can be separate from the sale thread, but I think it would be a nice gesture. While I wasn't a coyotes fan, I always had a soft spot for the underdog, always wanted them to succeed in some form. Sadly, just could never do it. Some great players and memories there.

Let's have a thread where we can remember them.
They had some of the best jerseys in NHL history IMO.

You’ve got to wonder what might have been different if they ever won a Cup

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I had a soft spot for them since I spent so much time in Phoenix visiting grandparents and family. I was always pulling for them to figure it out. Living in STL at the time the Rams left, even as a non-fan, I know what a blow it can be for folks. Pro sports is nasty business.

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
Sad day. I was six when the Jets moved so I've never really known anything outside of the Phoenix/Arizona franchise being part of the league. One of those teams you'd pick on Sega just cause you liked the logo. RIP

Reactions: Summer Rose

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I am much sadder than I thought I would be. But the team had no future in Arizona, seems like everything they try to do fails and the population does not care about having them anymore.

They, like the Thrashers before them, were doomed by poor ownership. The market and fanbase is sustainable, if they were given a good and consistent product on the ice.

The league needs to bring a hockey team back to Arizona, preferably without AM involved in the least. Because I can’t imagine the logic of asking that fanbase to return to a team owned by the same guy that moved their last one.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
As a Quebec city guy, I feel for Yotes fans. Knows what it feels like to lose your team.

But in all honesty, Yotes were a complete clownshow for two decades

Reactions: Conflicted Habs fan

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Has the league even officially said ANYTHING on the team relocating? I know the "insiders" all say it's a done deal and that's the general consensus but the absolute silence from the NHL front office is a bit puzzling. Are they waiting until the season ends tonight, or what?

When Atlanta moved, when Hartford moved, when did the league confirm it?

Oct 18, 2011
This won't make anyone feel much better but Utah isn't that far from Arizona and they might have a stable owner unlike the jokers they've had recently. I'm just saying yotes fans a road trip to Salt Lake isn't the worst in the world

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Has the league even officially said ANYTHING on the team relocating? I know the "insiders" all say it's a done deal and that's the general consensus but the absolute silence from the NHL front office is a bit puzzling. Are they waiting until the season ends tonight, or what?

When Atlanta moved, when Hartford moved, when did the league confirm it?
Its just waiting on a vote from the BOG to confirm everything.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
This won't make anyone feel much better but Utah isn't that far from Arizona and they might have a stable owner unlike the jokers they've had recently. I'm just saying yotes fans a road trip to Salt Lake isn't the worst in the world

This is true......might be the shortest relocation (out of state) in NHL history, if that's any consolation. :laugh:

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
I'll have a fond memory of Arizona, it was the best hockey trip I've ever done and I really enjoyed my time in Glendale.

Farewell.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Sincerest sympathies to the Coyotes fanbase, in particular those who have been there all along and have dealt with this threat for what seems like forever. I can relate to the feeling, having lost our hometown junior team growing up, it sucks - no way around it. You guys deserved better

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Really feel for the fans, I can’t imagine losing my team.
This. It sucks for the fans.

I agree the team needed to move...IMO it should be to Quebec City.

1713440085325.png

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
For the first five years or so, they sold out regularly and had a decent fan base. Playoff games were loud and intimidating.

All of the off ice issues seemed to come up once they moved to Glendale.

The beginning of the end was the separation of Moyes and Ellman. The Westgate district never really came to fruition as a result. The model we were kind of after is what's now working for the Florida Panthers. One of those situations where the team is a loss leader for a greater development under one ownership umbrella, and while the team may lose money on paper, the ownership makes money by owning the team overall. The proposed Tempe site was a vague attempt to do that as well.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I hate it for the fans. I know there wasn’t enough of them over the last ten years or so but the ones that stuck it out through all the problems don’t deserve this.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Really sucks for the fans and I do feel bad. But the NHL and Bettman gave them 15+ years of runway to figure it out and the ownership groups / management teams / arenas just never could.

I imagine hockey will be back, but who knows when.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
28 years in Arizona is longer than the Nordiques, original Jets and Whalers all existed, from WHA inception to when they moved.

This is just another case study in how shit ownership can absolutely tank a franchise. That area should have worked, there was a good fanbase, but the ownership was so bad it became untenable. That isn't the fault of the region or fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad