Speculation: Arizona LTIR

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Going through CapFriendly tonight and I see Arizona has about $23 million coming off of the LTIR after this year. Will they reload it to save money again next year and if so who would be candidates to be targeted to be added?

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Going through CapFriendly tonight and I see Arizona has about $23 million coming off of the LTIR after this year. Will they reload it to save money again next year and if so who would be candidates to be targeted to be added?
??????????? You do not understand how LTIR works. It does not save money for a team.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
There's only a little over 13.5M in "dead" IR money coming off the books. As mentioned there's lots of room to spend some dollars on the blue line.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
It's actually only $13.5M in dead cap from Little and Voracek. All the other guys (Hayton, Dumba, Stecher, Boyd, Kolychonok) are just injured players.

I think the Coyotes have moved on from using the cap-for-picks strategy. And with the cap rising significantly, there's probably less motivation for teams to unload dead cap going forward as well. Plus AZ already has a boatload of 2nds and 3rds and that's what most GMs want to use to unload dead cap.

The Coyotes next challenge is onboarding a bunch of young guys onto the NHL club pretty quickly and finding good vets to hold down spots while they do so.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
We’ll have to wait and see the arena situation before we know if they can use that 13 million for good players or just more cap dumping.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
It's actually only $13.5M in dead cap from Little and Voracek. All the other guys (Hayton, Dumba, Stecher, Boyd, Kolychonok) are just injured players.

I think the Coyotes have moved on from using the cap-for-picks strategy. And with the cap rising significantly, there's probably less motivation for teams to unload dead cap going forward as well. Plus AZ already has a boatload of 2nds and 3rds and that's what most GMs want to use to unload dead cap.

The Coyotes next challenge is onboarding a bunch of young guys onto the NHL club pretty quickly and finding good vets to hold down spots while they do so.
I want yotes to snag Will Smith from San Jose.

It’s going to be expensive but you guys have the assets to get him

• Wow
Reactions: Kaizen

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
If Canucks can't afford Hronek I could see the Yotes going after him.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Who centers then? McBain?

It's usually Hayton but he's been hurt most of the year. Yotes have played Schmaltz a tiny bit at C but otherwise have just been switching between all their C's to see who fits. It's been McBain, Cooley, Kerfoot, and Bjugstad.

Reactions: Play

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I think the Coyotes are looking for a Durzi type deal where the player or their cap doesn't fit their current team's long term plans.

I could also see them being open to something like the Ghost or Stralman deals, even at lesser returns.

I think deals like the Kassian, Nemeth, Little and Voracek deals are probably no longer of interest.

Reactions: Kaizen

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
It's usually Hayton but he's been hurt most of the year. Yotes have played Schmaltz a tiny bit at C but otherwise have just been switching between all their C's to see who fits. It's been McBain, Cooley, Kerfoot, and Bjugstad.
When they're healthy it's Hayton-Bjugstad-Cooley-McBain but Hayton's been out half the season and Kerfoot has been playing center. They've got Geekie going pro in the fall but he probably starts in Tucson.
yeah forgot about big Barrett. Yeah you guys are fine on centers.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
If the Coyotes also move from Dumba, that's $16.4M. I'd expect most would go into upgrading the D and re-signing their RFA Ds. I would also expect them to move on from Zucker's $5.3, Dermott and Brown. They'll have options and hopefully, a direction...

Reactions: Nowotny

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad