Friedman: Arizona interested in Matt Dumba

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Klingberg also got exposed in Anaheim. Dumba is a rhd so if he’s gone this long without good offers says a lot about where he is as a Dman.
Dumba isn't perfect defensively, but he is way better than Klingberg in that respect. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he doubles his point total next year, either. He's fine physically.

Reactions: Minnesota

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Or perhaps he is waiting for Toronto to deal Brodie so he can sign for, let's say, approximately $2.9M on a one-year deal. Not that I think that is particularly smart but hey.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Klingberg also got exposed in Anaheim. Dumba is a rhd so if he’s gone this long without good offers says a lot about where he is as a Dman.
Or he has gotten offers and he balked them. That would suck if true for him going into August lol

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I mean why get rid of Chychrun then?

Chychrun did ask for a trade. And in real dollars, Chychrun is due 5.4 million this year and 7 million next year. I'd imagine that their offer for Dumba is for less than than.

I know Chychrun has played both sides on defense, but perhaps Arizona was happy with the first year contributions of Juuso Valimaki and J.J. Moser on the left side. So they might prefer a veteran right shot D like Dumba now.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Or perhaps he is waiting for Toronto to deal Brodie so he can sign for, let's say, approximately $2.9M on a one-year deal. Not that I think that is particularly smart but hey.

That would be a terrible move for Toronto. Absolutely terrible.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Dumba isn't perfect defensively, but he is way better than Klingberg in that respect. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he doubles his point total next year, either. He's fine physically.
Dumba needs to be smart about where he goes. Klingberg left Lindell/Heiskenan as a partner and got exposed in Anaheim. Turned down $7 mill AAV over 8 years thinking he could get more. He's now at $12.15mill over 2 years. Trending now if he remains in the $4 mill range over the next 6 years, he's going to be close to $20 mill behind what he could have gotten had he accepted the Stars offer

Dumba needs to go somewhere if he needs to do a 1 year term to get his game to a level that gives him a chance at a good offer next season. He's 29 now, 30 next year.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Dumba needs to be smart about where he goes. Klingberg left Lindell/Heiskenan as a partner and got exposed in Anaheim. Turned down $7 mill AAV over 8 years thinking he could get more. He's now at $12.15mill over 2 years. Trending now if he remains in the $4 mill range over the next 6 years, he's going to be close to $20 mill behind what he could have gotten had he accepted the Stars offer

Dumba needs to go somewhere if he needs to do a 1 year term to get his game to a level that gives him a chance at a good offer next season. He's 29 now, 30 next year.
oddly enough, despite Klingberg failing in Anaheim, I think Anaheim is an ideal spot for a short deal this year for Dumba. They have a young core that will be better just by maturing. They added Killorn and Gudas. Adding Dumba would push down Gudas. Dumba would play with Fowler

For this, maybe Anaheim could make another interesting move or two at the same time, kind of to convince Dumba to come over, by bolstering the depth a bit.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

I actually think Dumba is better away from Brodin. When playing with lesser partners he seems to step up defensively and take more responsibility. He has always been an enthusiastic defender, just lacked sound decision making when he was younger.

Klingberg is lost defensively. There's no reason physically that he can't be a good defender, but he just seems to be lacking defensive instinct.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
oddly enough, despite Klingberg failing in Anaheim, I think Anaheim is an ideal spot for a short deal this year for Dumba. They have a young core that will be better just by maturing. They added Killorn and Gudas. Adding Dumba would push down Gudas. Dumba would play with Fowler

For this, maybe Anaheim could make another interesting move or two at the same time, kind of to convince Dumba to come over, by bolstering the depth a bit.
Dumbo and Fowler = Disaster

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
So basically he has an open offer from Arizona, as this isn’t the first time we’ve heard this. He’s obviously waiting for something. Whether it’s RFAs to all be taken care of, or a trade opening up a spot.

It does look like he overplayed his hand this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad