Arizona Fires 27 second period shots on Edmonton

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
There was an article in (I think) the Edmonton Journal a few days ago doing a statistical breakdown of Scrivens' 21-games last season (.912 save-%) and his first 21 games this season (somewhere around .889% or some-such). The conclusion by the writer was that the goaltending is their #1 problem and isn't up to snuff. The writer apparently isn't aware that save% is at least in part (and often in whole) a stat of the team.

Based on what I've seen (admittedly limited) in the past year, I really think Scrivens is great and is doing a good job. Today's game emphasizes that... I mean, how much more can you ask a goalie? 42 saves behind an AHL-level team, and the press say goaltending is the problem...

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
There was an article in (I think) the Edmonton Journal a few days ago doing a statistical breakdown of Scrivens' 21-games last season (.912 save-%) and his first 21 games this season (somewhere around .889% or some-such). The conclusion by the writer was that the goaltending is their #1 problem and isn't up to snuff. The writer apparently isn't aware that save% is at least in part (and often in whole) a stat of the team.

Based on what I've seen (admittedly limited) in the past year, I really think Scrivens is great and is doing a good job. Today's game emphasizes that... I mean, how much more can you ask a goalie? 42 saves behind an AHL-level team, and the press say goaltending is the problem...

I think both Scrivens and Fasth would make terrific 1B 'tenders on any team. The issue is not goaltening.

Kronwalled8*

Jul 30, 2014
That Oiler defense is beyond pathetic. Guys constantly left open in the slot, uncovered, wtf? Almost seems like their players are handcuffed to each other in pairs lol.

When you only score once on Dubynk, you know you've failed.

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
Oh Oilers....

See that OEL scored the OT winner.. I feel like he has done that a lot this year? Every time I see Coyotes win in OT.. I look at the scoreboard and its OEL scoring the goal :P

OEL has three OT winners this season.

That Oiler defense is beyond pathetic. Guys constantly left open in the slot, uncovered, wtf? Almost seems like their players are handcuffed to each other in pairs lol.

Dubnyk has been fine for us. 6-2-2 record and 9.22 save percentage.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
If you ignore the number of shots and look at what the Oilers did you can see why Scrivens looked better than he has all year. The 2 goals were on plays where the players did Eakins type things and over loaded on the puck carrier and left a dangerous spot open, but for the most part in that game they played a much simpler and safer defensive game. Protected the middle part of the ice better, didn't leave guys wide open. Yes it resulted in them getting hemmed in at times and giving up a lot of shots particularly in that period, but it wasn't the number of really high quality chances against they had been facing. Once they remove the instincts from the players that Eakins put there the less of the type of goals you'll see where guys are wide open.

Now their lack of scoring themselves is another matter but that to me is purely a confidence issue and can be repaired in time.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Coaching and management are the problem? They look okay on paper do they not? They just cannot play without the puck at all. The players can't be that bad?

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver

The two goals yesterday were because of simple fundamental lapses. Gadzic just had to stay in his lane heading back to the net. He cuts left to the puck carrier and the goal scorer is wide open. So simple to stop.

RNH got schooled on the last goal. First deked in the neutral zone and he eventually does not get back to stop OEL.

Our goalies have let in a lot of crappy goals (Go on Youtube and there is a video of every goal they have let in up to a few games ago), but the D zone coverage by everybody has been horrible.

This collection of players needs to get back to the fundamentals. Something Eakins admitted. You would know what I was talking about if you guys watched most of the games.

Aceonfire*

The two goals yesterday were because of simple fundamental lapses. Gadzic just had to stay in his lane heading back to the net. He cuts left to the puck carrier and the goal scorer is wide open. So simple to stop.

RNH got schooled on the last goal. First deked in the neutral zone and he eventually does not get back to stop OEL.

Our goalies have let in a lot of crappy goals (Go on Youtube and there is a video of every goal they have let in up to a few games ago), but the D zone coverage by everybody has been horrible.

This collection of players needs to get back to the fundamentals. Something Eakins admitted. You would know what I was talking about if you guys watched most of the games.

What?

RNH forced the turnover. It was Eberle that screwed everyone over and decided to go for a change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad