Arizona Coyotes Trade History: Best and Worst Trades of All-Time

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The Selanne trade is the trade EVERY GM should revisit when they consider trading a top player for exciting prospects.

Also, that trade was made in response to an offer sheet for keith Tkachuk. The Jets matched the offer sheet but could not afford both Tkachuk and Selanne.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Nothing wrong with the Dubnyk trade. The market for goalies was crap, he was about to get paid, we were STUCK with Smith who had a big fat new deal and had **** the bed. It was either the 3rd or exactly NOTHING. That was a fine trade. There are two dozen worse trades to cite. That Dubnyk trade was actually a very good move.

Englishcoyote

Jun 15, 2015
Manchester, England
i didn't realise that the patrick roy pick was traded by the jets, but who would of guess a angry French Canadian goalkeeping kid picked in the 3rd round would turn out to be one of the greatest goalies of all time

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
While we eat nachos and salsa out of bowls that look like hockey pucks.

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009
"Oleg Tverdovsky stayed a little longer than Kilger, lasting all of four seasons in Arizona. His best season with the club was the 1996-1997 season, which he scored ten goals and recorded 55 points overall. He finished fourth on the Blackhawks that year in scoring and tenth in the league in Norris Trophy voting. After four seasons Tverdovsky was eventually traded back to Arizona and went on to have more success in the desert."

What the hell is he talking about with Oleg? Was that the trade of Oleg for Gordie Howe, Connor McDavid, and a Tim Horton's? Squirrel! or lack of research? :shakehead

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Winnipeg has the Jets back. Can we please give them their history back, too? This team's first season was in Phoenix.
Considering they completely ignore their Thrasher roots I'm ok with this.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Context shows a lot more to those trades than is first apparent. I like finding the backstory.

My personal favourite is probably the Michalek trade though. Undrafted, 3 unremarkable AHL seasons before we plucked him out of Minnesota. Went on to make 612 appearances, more than anyone else not named Doan. Although OEL could pass him in a season and a half.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
"Oleg Tverdovsky stayed a little longer than Kilger, lasting all of four seasons in Arizona. His best season with the club was the 1996-1997 season, which he scored ten goals and recorded 55 points overall. He finished fourth on the Blackhawks that year in scoring and tenth in the league in Norris Trophy voting. After four seasons Tverdovsky was eventually traded back to Arizona and went on to have more success in the desert."

What the hell is he talking about with Oleg? Was that the trade of Oleg for Gordie Howe, Connor McDavid, and a Tim Horton's? Squirrel! or lack of research? :shakehead

Yeah, I read that paragraph three times just to make sure I was not confused. He inevitably uses the metric of how many points he had as a defenseman. I wonder if the author was aware of Tverdovsky being healthy scratched in a deciding playoff game to great approval from Coyotes fans.

Among Coyote fans (not Jets fans), the Briere/Gratton trade competes for the worst. I'm going to go on record as admitting that I was in favor of it at the time, as I thought Briere was too small to be effective in the long term.

No mention of acquiring Radim Vrbata for Todd Fedoruk and David Hale? In terms of return (and ridding themselves of two worthless players), that one should be the winner.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Ilya Kovalchuk is currently the all-time leading scorer in Winnipeg Jets history.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It's too bad Atlanta's ownership, and Don Waddell as GM, was such a mess. They had two superstars in Kovalchuk and Heatley and it totally went to waste.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Not sure what either could have done about Heatley??
It's too bad Atlanta's ownership, and Don Waddell as GM, was such a mess. They had two superstars in Kovalchuk and Heatley and it totally went to waste.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Winnipeg has the Jets back. Can we please give them their history back, too? This team's first season was in Phoenix.

None of their fans have ever really appreciated that the Coyotes honored their players at a time when there was no where else for that to happen. In fact, many accused the Coyotes of stealing a history they never had. I'd relinquish the records/history when they show some class.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
None of their fans have ever really appreciated that the Coyotes honored their players at a time when there was no where else for that to happen. In fact, many accused the Coyotes of stealing a history they never had. I'd relinquish the records/history when they show some class.

I used to get really bitter about this, because we really went to a lot of trouble to honor the Jets' history over time and got nothing but hate for it.

I'm glad that the Coyotes unretired Hull's and Steen's numbers, but I would be fine with abdicating everything Jets-related and letting the folks at MTS Centre have it.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I used to get really bitter about this, because we really went to a lot of trouble to honor the Jets' history over time and got nothing but hate for it.

I'm glad that the Coyotes unretired Hull's and Steen's numbers, but I would be fine with abdicating everything Jets-related and letting the folks at MTS Centre have it.

I'd burn every single item associated with Winnipeg at center ice before the next Jets game. I'd then go on to honor the Thrashers logo on the sleeves of our sweaters at every away game in Winnipeg.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Just a reminder as a Jets 1.0 fan I was quite happy when the Coyotes honoured the defunct franchise. I was also against naming the relocated Thrashers "Jets" considering that franchise was still operating (as the Coyotes).

As I mentioned above, Arizona with Jets 1.0 history is kind of awkward now that Jets 2.0 exist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad