Value of: Arizona Coyotes Rentals

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This thread is for fan speculation and discussion of potential trades involving veteran Coyotes players on expiring contracts.

Notes:

There are currently only two teams truly out of the playoff picture and likely to be full blown sellers on the pure playoff rental market.

This draft is arguably as bad as any draft in the last decade, or so. Speculation is picks will be dealt more so than in typical deadlines.

Finalized deal:

Michael Stone(50% retained) to Calgary for a '17 3rd and conditional '18 5th(if he re-signs).

Speculation:

1. Martin Hanzal(50% retained) to Contender A for a '17 1st and an unwanted, expiring contract.

2. Radim Vrbata to Contender B for a '17 2nd and an unwanted, expiring contract.

3. Shane Doan(50% retained) to Contender C for a '17 conditional pick (6th for QF birth, 5th for SF birth, 4th for CF birth, and 3rd for SCF birth) and an unwanted, expiring contract.

Thoughts? Speculate on items 1, 2 and 3!

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Any interest from Detroit?

Team has already stated they will not be buyers. Team has a bunch of wingers leaving Hanzal as the only option. He would help the team, but your certainly not getting what will almost certainly be a top 10 pick for him.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Russo's been speculating hard that Minnesota will look at add a bottom-6 forward at the deadline, and Hanzal and Vrbata seem like they'd fit what Fletcher would be looking for. It's hard to say which he'd be more inclined to go after since it'd likely hinge on whatever evaluations were made during the last month of roster tinkering (mainly Coyle at C vs RW). I don't think they'd balk at a 1st for Hanzal or a 2nd for Vrbata if either was "their guy" though. Personally Hanzal's health worries the crap out of me, but the possibility of Staal-Koivu-Hanzal-Haula down the middle is hard to ignore.

The Wild don't really have unwanted, expiring contracts to send back though. Some might argue Pominville, but at this point I certainly wouldn't. I assume that was mostly included to ensure the cap hits work though.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Also contract limit considerations. So even a minor league vet who'll lose his job when Hanzal/Vrbata bumps a guy on the NHL roster to the AHL.

Steal-Koivu-Hanzal-Huala is nuts. What a pain in the ass that would be to line up against.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Forgot that we don't have our 2nd this year either, so that could complicate things a little. Still, there are probably ways to work around that (a prospect instead of a 2nd, Minnesota's 1st for Vrbata and a 2nd or whatever) if the teams are generally eye to eye on value.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
The Pens will give you a conditional 3rd for Doan. Not because we need Doan, in fact, the condition of the deal is that you don't deal Hanzal to Wsh, CBJ or NYR...otherwise, we might end up getting into this whole drawn-out war early on that we don't want...

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Hanzal? Prospect and a 2nd.

Vrbata? 3rd at best.

Doan? I don't think much at all, he's a RENtal if there ever was one and is having a very bad year... I don't know exactly what he'd bring to a team at this point in his career, I like the guy but on contenders who'd be willing to trade for him, isn't he a 4th liner or healthy scratch even?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
As I understand it Vrbata has 2.5M in potential bonuses. 500,000 for playing 30 games which he has, 500,000 for 20 G or 40 pts which he is likely to hit and then another 1.5M in potential playoff bonuses. Can ARZ pay those bonuses or is the best they can do is retain half of his 1M?

If they can't pay the bonuses that 1M+ to a contender at or near the cap means they could possibly result on bonus overages tacked onto next season. That could affect his trade value.

Depending on that I'd say his value is 2nd/3rd from a playoff team + C prospect. Another problem is there are likely quite a few rental wingers available guys like Eaves, Sharp, Vanek to name a few.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think Hanzal winds up going to either PIT, CBJ, or WAS. Envisioning players like Sundqvist, Zaar, or Barber coming back.

Hanzal/Connauton for Sundqvist/2nd round pick?
Hanzal for Zaar/Korpisalo/2nd round pick?
Hanzal for Barber/1st round pick?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Hanzal would look great in an Oiler jersey down the stretch

Dont disagree - just trying to find the right mix of players. Not certain how much needs to be added to Hanzal for RNH or Eberle. If you have any additional information on Pakarinen or Rasanen, either of those two could be chips to add in on Edmonton's side.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I think Hanzal winds up going to either PIT, CBJ, or WAS. Envisioning players like Sundqvist, Zaar, or Barber coming back.

Hanzal/Connauton for Sundqvist/2nd round pick?
Hanzal for Zaar/Korpisalo/2nd round pick?
Hanzal for Barber/1st round pick?

Korpisalo is not available in a trade for a rental, but Zaar+pick/another prospect is good

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Are the perpetually money losing cash poor Coyotes going to retain 50% and take back unwanted contracts? That seems very generous for any team and more so in cash cost for this team to play out another year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad