Arizona Coyotes new home should they be exempted from hockey related revenue equation.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Hello Amigos. Can someone with the business knowledge of hockey explain this to me :)

It’s just a sound bite but has me curious.

Does the small arena affect revenue sharing or something?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Hello Amigos. Can someone with the business knowledge of hockey explain this to me :)

AZ was already getting max allowed so if they make less $ they don't get any additional revenue.

The $1.7B entertainment district is a pathway to actually significantly increase revenues and ultimately reduce the reliance on revenue sharing. So if you can take the short-term pain there is long-term gain here for everyone.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
AZ was already getting max allowed so if they make less $ they don't get any additional revenue.

The $1.7B entertainment district is a pathway to actually significantly increase revenues and ultimately reduce the reliance on revenue sharing. So if you can take the short-term pain there is long-term gain here for everyone.
So is revenue sharing on ticket sales? We were about 5000 a year before so it shouldn’t have any impact? Also how does it effect player escrow?

Thanks for the answers can’t find easy answers online

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The big question is with HRR.

IIRC (@mouser can step in here to correct me) the concern on the players end is what it does to escrow. The fear is escrow would go up substantially.

Plus it would/could also affect the cap over the next couple of years.

Revenue sharing isn’t an issue since Bettman has already said the Yotes get the max allowed.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The big question is with HRR.

IIRC (@mouser can step in here to correct me) the concern on the players end is what it does to escrow. The fear is escrow would go up substantially.

Plus it would/could also affect the cap over the next couple of years.

Revenue sharing isn’t an issue since Bettman has already said the Yotes get the max allowed.

Escrow won’t be increasing, it’s capped out by the 2020 MOU. Worst case is the cap would rise a little less. But we’re talking at most a league wide revenue difference of a half percent, which translates to something like $300k cap ceiling difference. It’s not a material % in my opinion.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

Gordon Miller basically suggested for the player's benefit that Hockey Related Revenue should be calculated by taking the average of all teams excluding AZ and then multiplying it by 32. He is saying that the players should not pay a price because the Owners approved AZ playing in an arena than cannot generate big league revenue. Nothing nefarious in the conversation besides that.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Gordon Miller basically suggested for the player's benefit that Hockey Related Revenue should be calculated by taking the average of all teams excluding AZ and then multiplying it by 32. He is saying that the players should not pay a price because the Owners approved AZ playing in an arena than cannot generate big league revenue. Nothing nefarious in the conversation besides that.

If only the players had negotiated into the CBA that teams can only play in arenas with a certain minimum revenue or seating capacity, but they didn’t.

So the players can be annoyed about the revenue loss, but don’t have any labor union leverage so long as the locker rooms and other CBA negotiated off-ice player amenities are provided.

Not to mention the NHL is still irritated with the players refusing to take temporary offsetting salary reductions when league revenues cratered during Covid. Leading us to our current state of a flat cap for years while the players “repay” the Covid escrow balance.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
What revenue loss?

Xavier Gutierrez said that the team could "generate more revenue at its temporary Arizona State University arena than it did playing in Glendale"

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
None of the three went to college, 2 played in the OHL and probably did not finish High School. Miller at least finished High School in Edmonton. Listening to them on the business of hockey is the same as believing Matt Damon knows CRYPTO.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
None of the three went to college, 2 played in the OHL and probably did not finish High School. Miller at least finished High School in Edmonton. Listening to them on the business of hockey is the same as believing Matt Damon knows CRYPTO.
I'd check your info. Hayes went to University in Halifax. These aren't dummies, they were just hosting a sports talk show and talking sports.

What revenue loss?

Xavier Gutierrez said that the team could "generate more revenue at its temporary Arizona State University arena than it did playing in Glendale"

It was just a simple discussion. I think you are misinterpreting revenue vs potential revenue. The discussion was around not be able to generate enough revenue. Glendale did not generate revenue high enough but there were seats to sell so there was potential. I don't think there is anything there as this is not in the player's power.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Some of the dumbest pukes I've ever known went to college, always more than willing to tell you they went though.

Reactions: Jakey53

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
It was just a simple discussion. I think you are misinterpreting revenue vs potential revenue. The discussion was around not be able to generate enough revenue. Glendale did not generate revenue high enough but there were seats to sell so there was potential. I don't think there is anything there as this is not in the player's power.
Yes, in theory Glendale can host more fans and therefore more revenue, however, historically we know exactly what happens in Glendale even in its best years, which we the deck is stacked against by the tank. In theory, Gutierrez has indicated they think they outdo the revenue were they do have remained in Glendale. That might not happen, but it's also already basically at rock bottom and they can't get more in sharing anyway. This way they have 3, even grant them 4, years to get into the new building which will then, most will agree, produce much more revenue. There is an argument to be made by players who have limited time in the league, but they didn't get to make the decision, owners did, and all in all, I think many would argue it's all going to be a wash anyway.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Like my father use to tell everyone he went to college, "in one door, out the other".:laugh: Nothing beats real life experiences. Try and tell that to a Millennial.

Your old-man crankiness is already behind the times by two generations, FYI. Millennials are having kids and are a quarter of the way through their careers. 😂

And all I can gather from this thread is that a lot of people - or the second- or third-hand accounts of them - only went to college for beer and tits and not to actually learn anything.

Reactions: Mangosteen

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Your old-man crankiness is already behind the times by two generations, FYI. Millennials are having kids and are a quarter of the way through their careers. 😂

And all I can gather from this thread is that a lot of people - or the second- or third-hand accounts of them - only went to college for beer and tits and not to actually learn anything.
I think most go to college for beer and tits. Like Rodney said "fantasyland". That's all these professors teach. I think my father's generation were ahead by two generations, not behind. They actually worked, and entitlement wasn't even in their vocabulary.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I think most go to college for beer and tits. Like Rodney said "fantasyland". That's all these professors teach. I think my father's generation were ahead by two generations, not behind. They actually worked, and entitlement wasn't even in their vocabulary.

This just sounds like projection from someone who didn't have the book smarts to get into college. :naughty:

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not inherently, but there are way cheaper and smarter ways to go after them than at college.

Given that all it would take would be to look at a dictionary, that's a pretty sad statement. :laugh:
Like I said, "book dumb, street smart". I bet millions of these kids that have thousands and thousands of school debt wish they would have been "street smart". They didn't have time to look at a dictionary because they were too busy working.

This just sounds like projection from someone who didn't have the book smarts to get into college. :naughty:
I didn't. I was brought up "street smart". :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad