Confirmed with Link: Arizona Coyotes Name Darryl Plandowski as Director of Amateur Scouting

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Relevant tidbits:

- hates dump and chase, old school coaches
- values skill over size 100% after the first few rounds. size is always secondary.
- playing time is king
- dug heavily into character like parents and schooling in Tampa once Yzerman arrived.
- made mistakes on the guys they looked the other way on re: character
- seeing kids with mental problems, medication, overall negative impact of social media
- last 8-9 years having prospect coaches that travel to work with them is really important
- kids are brought up not to hit and fight nowadays. they don't even think about scrums or anything that draws a penalty.

- hockey is a year long program now
- pro players that move to the states raise their kids there, with their expertise, brain-draining Canada
- availability of ice/shinny is key to producing NHL talent. Videogames/ease of entertainment lowering participation.
- Matthews was on standby and would play whenever, for whatever team. Just wanted to be on the ice. Icetime is king.

- how open is a player's mind to change?

Went to Tampa to be the Head Scout. Was a good chance to get in at the ground level (last place team).

- Brayden Point was pure luck. Same with Cirelli.
- Plandowski and Al Murray 'cross over' and go to scout players, while all the other scouts on the team stay in their area of expertise and know their guys. Not exactly common.
- not afraid at all to draft older players (Gudas, Palat)
- Point was small but smart, bad skater. Difference was his work ethic with the skating coach (Barb Underhill)
- some years the quality just isnt there, top 10 picks are super stressful
- at the end of the day they are still 17 year olds who are now suddenly millionaires.
- Scheifele an example of player that came out of nowhere and didn't show up in prescouting.

Thanks for the breakdown. Hopefully I can listen to it tomorrow but I love the insight about his approaches. Sounds like him and BA have many similarities in trying to find kids and players who are hungry to play all the time. I wonder what this means for the likes of Keller and Fischer. More things pointing to a larger culture change.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Such a fantastic hire. I previously went back and forth with RT over not wanting draft picks because our drafting had sucked, and our guys were unproven. My opinion on that has now softened.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Relevant tidbits:

- hates dump and chase, old school coaches
- values skill over size 100% after the first few rounds. size is always secondary.
- playing time is king
- dug heavily into character like parents and schooling in Tampa once Yzerman arrived.
- made mistakes on the guys they looked the other way on re: character
- seeing kids with mental problems, medication, overall negative impact of social media
- last 8-9 years having prospect coaches that travel to work with them is really important
- kids are brought up not to hit and fight nowadays. they don't even think about scrums or anything that draws a penalty.

- hockey is a year long program now
- pro players that move to the states raise their kids there, with their expertise, brain-draining Canada
- availability of ice/shinny is key to producing NHL talent. Videogames/ease of entertainment lowering participation.
- Matthews was on standby and would play whenever, for whatever team. Just wanted to be on the ice. Icetime is king.

- how open is a player's mind to change?

Went to Tampa to be the Head Scout. Was a good chance to get in at the ground level (last place team).

- Brayden Point was pure luck. Same with Cirelli.
- Plandowski and Al Murray 'cross over' and go to scout players, while all the other scouts on the team stay in their area of expertise and know their guys. Not exactly common.
- not afraid at all to draft older players (Gudas, Palat)
- Point was small but smart, bad skater. Difference was his work ethic with the skating coach (Barb Underhill)
- some years the quality just isnt there, top 10 picks are super stressful
- at the end of the day they are still 17 year olds who are now suddenly millionaires.
- Scheifele an example of player that came out of nowhere and didn't show up in prescouting.
Would add that he seems to have a serious soft-spot for Finland.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Would add that he seems to have a serious soft-spot for Finland.

Yeah the bit about the Swedes being immaculate and proper vs the Finns was interesting. Plus his time in the U.P.

Vancouver radio says the Coyotes like Juolevi, which doesn't surprise me.

rt

May 13, 2004
Yeah the bit about the Swedes being immaculate and proper vs the Finns was interesting. Plus his time in the U.P.

Vancouver radio says the Coyotes like Juolevi, which doesn't surprise me.
To me, Juolevi is exactly like Gormley. Everything about them is the same. I have zero faith in Juolevi. None.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
To me, Juolevi is exactly like Gormley. Everything about them is the same. I have zero faith in Juolevi. None.
Did they have the same injury? Is Juolevi slow like Gormley?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Trading OEL is like trying to save a sinking boat by drilling more holes.
It is a massive culture change move. Many will argue a necessary one. Never should have been named captain. Not the type.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
It is a massive culture change move. Many will argue a necessary one. Never should have been named captain. Not the type.
I hope on wrong on the return we are likely going to see but it just feels like we are not going to get anything I’m super excited about.

Reactions: Jakey53

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona

That’s what’s really funny/sad about this whole thing. Many people knew this already before he was named captain. Tocchet knew that he wasn’t a fiery passionate type leader, and there was obviously qualities he didn’t like or thought OEL lacked as a leader...and yet he named him captain anyway and now he’s bitching about it. Yet another reason to add to the list of why Tocchet should be fired immediately.

Reactions: Fuhrious and knich

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Moving out the team captain and franchise player in your first deal as a rookie GM is f***ing bananalands.

Eager to see the return.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Trading OEL is like trying to save a sinking boat by drilling more holes.

Sometimes it's best to man the life rafts, scuttle the boat, and have a new one built; one that's bigger, stronger, faster, and has a attitude.

...and no video games allowed on the new boat. :naughty:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Sometimes it's best to man the life rafts, scuttle the boat, and have a new one built; one that's bigger, stronger, faster, and has a attitude.

...and no video games allowed on the new boat. :naughty:
So no interest in Laine?

rt

May 13, 2004
Any word on what happened with Jankowski?
Likely to be Plandowski's #2 unless something changed.

Usually there’s an AGM who’s over the Director of Amateur Scouting, no? Like Bill Armstrong’s last job with the Blues. Or Hofford here, before Armstrong fired him. Is it possible that Jankowski gets that job?

EDIT: Nevermind. Typically those guys hole both titles. But Plandowski didn’t get that title?

EDIT: When Futa was promoted to AGM, he lost the DAS title. When Al Murray was promoted to AGM he kept the DAS title but Plandowski also had that title. So I guess they both had it?

Right now it strikes me that we named a GM with no POHO or VPOHO and we named a DAS with no Scouting AGM?

Are these vacancies left for GMBA and Plandowski to grow into, or...?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad