Confirmed Trade: [ARI/MIN] Jack McBain for 2022 2nd round pick

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Seems a bit much for a player wanting to be traded who may end up a bottom six forward at best.
You get a young player who can step into your lineup immediately for a 2nd round pick. That's a great value any way you look at it. The fact that he wanted to be traded is pretty meaningless if he was willing to sign with multiple teams to avoid going the UFA route.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Has this guy even signed yet? Tbh it would be hilarious if he pulled a move similar to what Jimmy V did in Buffalo

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
You get a young player who can step into your lineup immediately for a 2nd round pick. That's a great value any way you look at it. The fact that he wanted to be traded is pretty meaningless if he was willing to sign with multiple teams to avoid going the UFA route.

A young player with limited potential. Until senior year, a six goal scorer. A 3rd round pick or later would have been better value.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
A young player with limited potential. Until senior year, a six goal scorer. A 3rd round pick or later would have been better value.
Yes and a 4th rounder would have been even better. Or a 5th. Or a conditional 7th. Sick value. Not how the world works though.

2nd rounder has ~50% chance to end up as an every-night NHL player way way down the road. Limited potential or not, McBain is more or less a safe bet t make it, as safe as it gets. His upside or the lack of it is irrelevant. Not to mention that what he was "until senior year" would have mattered if he was being traded before the senior year. He isn't though. Arizona is trading for a player who just scored 1.5 PPG in the NCAA and got selected to play in the Olympics.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Rumor is he also wanted a verbal guarantee he’d get playing time with the big team

Makes sense. Who would not want to go to a workplace where you'd have more opportunities to shine?

Now, if he doesn't work out, he can only blame himself as he's got a path wide open.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Kid wanted to play for Tourigny. We’ll see how it plays out. I like it for Arizona considering their handful of 2nds.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
It was based on the higher population, not that they don't exist. Purely based on scale. I know I didn't say it explicitly, but I figured people would know what I meant. Mistake on my part.
People understood your point but thought it was ridiculous. Minneapolis is a big city, with the nightlife of a big city. It is next to St Paul where the Wild play.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
This is a risky career move.

Yes, easier path to the NHL but if it turns out he needs some seasoning, he's going to be in a minor league development system that isn't exactly lauded.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
This is a risky career move.

Yes, easier path to the NHL but if it turns out he needs some seasoning, he's going to be in a minor league development system that isn't exactly lauded.
Agreed. I haven’t seen anything from him that suggests he should forgo some time in the AHL

Reactions: BruinsBtn

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Good deal for both sides; basically, Arizona selected a finished product in McBain. Minnesota gets a 2nd round pick that may or may not work out, but helps out in cap years. Generally 2nd round picks take about 3 to 4 years to season.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Good deal for both sides; basically, Arizona selected a finished product in McBain. Minnesota gets a 2nd round pick that may or may not work out, but helps out in cap years. Generally 2nd round picks take about 3 to 4 years to season.

I disagree mightily with the bolded. Edit: underlined because bold doesn't stand out in Dark.

Last edited:

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
People understood your point but thought it was ridiculous. Minneapolis is a big city, with the nightlife of a big city. It is next to St Paul where the Wild play.
Ridiculous, like the notion that Arizona isn't a desirable place to want to go? I wasn't here to shit on Minnesota, but show that there are many good reasons, both hockey related and not, to want to be here. May not have been the most lucrative way to show it, but Arizona has a lot to offer. Anyone who discounts that because we are playing in an arena roughly 1/4th the size of an NHL arena for 3-4 years while we wait on our new facility, or because we have had some poor management in the past, are kidding themselves. I'm sticking up for a place and team I love, which is routinely dumped on. Really has nothing to do with Minnesota, beyond the player coming from then.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I disagree mightily with the bolded.
Semantics. McBain isn't going to take the 3-4 years that comes with drafting a prospect out of the 2nd round. The Coyotes gets a prospect that can contribute sooner than later. McBain still has upside, but in terms of going through the juniors/college, they get to insert him now in the lineup or in their AHL group. More than likely they are going to swap out Larsson for McBain. Not a huge loss for Arizona.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You don't seem to understand the situation. Signing before the TDL allows him to burn a ELC year. That(potentially) can be a lot of money at stake. Signing later could cost him millions. Any agent worth his salt would encourage to sign and burn rather than wait till Aug 15th.

This is a good move for both teams. ARI needs players now- having 5 2nds is ridiculous. I am wondering if McBain knows what he is in for playing for a dysfunctional franchise.

Was it mentioned which 2nd it was?
Vancouver's.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I am wondering if McBain knows what he is in for playing for a dysfunctional franchise.
Ask Tuch, since he really wanted to play for Buffalo.

But given Minnesota's reluctance to jumble the lineup even going through a slump, I do see McBain's point of view.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad