Confirmed Signing with Link: [ARI] Michael Stone (1 year, $4M)

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Good deal, Arizona will be able to left him unprotected and re-sign him after the Expansion Draft.

3 d to be protected: Ekman-Larsson, Goligoski, Murphy

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Takes him to UFA status, which is kind of dangerous. But with his injury, I don't know if there was any other way to go. If he's fully recovered, they can look at a long term extension after. If not, they're only committing to this year.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Good deal, Arizona will be able to left him unprotected and re-sign him after the Expansion Draft.

And let him walk right into unrestricted free agency?

This doesn't sound like a carefully planned strategy on Chayka's part, regardless of how much he loves crunching numbers- more a powerplay from Stone so that he can hit the open market as soon as possible.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
And let him walk right into unrestricted free agency?

This doesn't sound like a carefully planned strategy on Chayka's part, regardless of how much he loves crunching numbers- more a powerplay from Stone so that he can hit the open market as soon as possible.

I don't think that's Arizona's plan but it could be done this way.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Maybe.

http://sinbin.vegas/curious-role-ufas-expansion-draft/
During a normal season, NHL teams are strictly prohibited from speaking to pending UFAs until the league year begins on July 1st. However, if a UFA is left unprotected in the Expansion Draft, Las Vegas will be granted exclusive rights to negotiate a contract with the player during the three day draft period on June 17-20. If Las Vegas comes to an agreement with a player, and a deal is signed, that player is considered Vegas’ selection in the draft from the UFAs current team.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
His risk was that b/c of his injury near the end of the year, a long term deal was likely unfeasible. If Stone comes back to form with no ill effects from the ACL and MCL tears suffered, then he will get a pretty good payday next year (whether from Arizona or some other team).

And if this year is not as successful b/c of injury, this could be a salary that he tops out at on the open market next year, which still makes Arizona a prime target to retain.

Only wishing that it was a 2 year deal for a little less AAV, but Stone has to maximize his earnings since the injury would likely impact an arbiter's decision.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Signing an underrated #3 dman to a 1 year deal, that takes him to free agency, is a bad idea. Hopefully there's a handshake agreement to extend again after the expansion draft

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
And it would appear this signing (along with Murphy) now puts the Coyotes over the salary cap floor WITHOUT the Datsyuk and Pronger contracts - plus, they still have to sign Rieder and add another player (UFA, AHL callup) to get to the 23-man roster.

I just remember seeing some people getting upset saying the Coyotes only traded for Datsyuk to "artificially" get to the floor, when many of us knew that wasn't the case...

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
So Coyotes fans, does RNH for Stone and Vermette move the dial? Stone would be perfect to play in our top four, and Vermette plugs the 3C hole created by moving Nugent-Hopkins. Your roster would look something like this I guess:

Domi-RNH-Duclair
Strome-Hanzal-Doan
McGinn-Dvorak-Reider
Martinook-Richardson-White
Dauphin Fischer

OEL-Murphy
Goligoski-Michalek
Connauton-Schenn
Dahlbeck

I'm a big fan of Stone, but his newly minted contract presents issues for any team looking to acquire him for the long-term. RNH, meanwhile, is locked in for the next several years and immediately becomes your 1C.

Is there a deal to be made here?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
So Coyotes fans, does RNH for Stone and Vermette move the dial? Stone would be perfect to play in our top four, and Vermette plugs the 3C hole created by moving Nugent-Hopkins. Your roster would look something like this I guess:

Domi-RNH-Duclair
Strome-Hanzal-Doan
McGinn-Dvorak-Reider
Martinook-Richardson-White
Dauphin Fischer

OEL-Murphy
Goligoski-Michalek
Connauton-Schenn
Dahlbeck

I'm a big fan of Stone, but his newly minted contract presents issues for any team looking to acquire him for the long-term. RNH, meanwhile, is locked in for the next several years and immediately becomes your 1C.

Is there a deal to be made here?

That blue line is pretty horrendous. RNH isn't really needed. I suspect that the only scenario in which we trade Stone is as part of a package for an upgrade on Stone.

Like maybe Stone, Rieder and a pick for a D that's better than Stone, and F that's worse than Rieder, and a pick that's much worse than the one we're offering.

Obviously Edmonton isn't a fit for that, and I really don't have any interest in Stone and Vermette for RNH.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We could always flip RNH for a RH defender afterwards. Should have no difficulties...

oh wait, ...

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Stone is legitimate top-four defenseman in his prime right now. A straight to UFA contract is...interesting?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Stone is legitimate top-four defenseman in his prime right now. A straight to UFA contract is...interesting?

The expansion draft scenario does make a lot of sense if teams promise deals signed right after so they don't lose a guy that

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Truthfully this is a pretty good move for arizona. For sure there is a handshake agreement in place for him to resign. Frankly a lot of owners are going to play their cards right and threaten to expose players for vegas.

However, they will have to pony up the dough to resign him. They will be most likely given first dibs at resigning to a fair contract but I hope they don't think Stone will take a discount out of the goodness of his heart.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Just speculation, but I wonder if Stone's one-year deal is an indication he's about to be "Gudbransoned".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad