Confirmed Signing with Link: [ARI] Coyotes re-sign Antti Raanta [3 Years/$4.25M AAV]

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Congrats Yotes fans. Happy to see the Coyotes turning the corner. Out of curiosity what will be at the top of your shopping list this summer?

Everyones got a different opinion. My guess would be an impact forward, whether a C or wing, unknown and a right sided dman. Chyka has been quoted on a few occasions that he has plans for a busy summer (similar to the Rangers deal of last year) so what that means, no one knows, really.

The defense of

OEL - Demers
Goligoski - Hjalmrasson
Chychrun - Connauton
Schenn/T. Murphy

I believe is solid.

Keller - Stepan -Panik (line has been damn good)
Domi - Dvorak - Perlini
Archibald - Strome - Fischer
Cousins - Richardson - Martinook (extremely effective 4 line)
Rinaldo

I guess an argument can be made that we could use a 1C or a more established scoring forward than Perlini, but the way they have played since the beginning of the year, I'd hope it doesnt change as much.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
They honestly had no reason to not re-sign him. He's been a spark for this team after his first few shaky starts. Definitely have the cap, and with more coming off (see Datsyuk) it was important to get this done. Both for the fans and league notice that they're not letting people walk unless it's unrealistic.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
They honestly had no reason to not re-sign him. He's been a spark for this team after his first few shaky starts. Definitely have the cap, and with more coming off (see Datsyuk) it was important to get this done. Both for the fans and league notice that they're not letting people walk unless it's unrealistic.
Datsyuks cap hit came off the books last summer.

steierwrass

Nov 25, 2017
Signed him for pretty much exactly what I thought in term/money:)

Yeah, you just yelled long time, how 4M is overpayment and should be something like 3-3.5M.

Great deal for Arizona. Cheaper than Talbot over year ago for more proven goalie, when salary cap is higher.

Reactions: Yandover

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Everyones got a different opinion. My guess would be an impact forward, whether a C or wing, unknown and a right sided dman. Chyka has been quoted on a few occasions that he has plans for a busy summer (similar to the Rangers deal of last year) so what that means, no one knows, really.

The defense of

OEL - Demers
Goligoski - Hjalmrasson
Chychrun - Connauton
Schenn/T. Murphy

I believe is solid.

Keller - Stepan -Panik (line has been damn good)
Domi - Dvorak - Perlini
Archibald - Strome - Fischer
Cousins - Richardson - Martinook (extremely effective 4 line)
Rinaldo

I guess an argument can be made that we could use a 1C or a more established scoring forward than Perlini, but the way they have played since the beginning of the year, I'd hope it doesnt change as much.
Yeah if they can add a legit top 6 forward they won't have a bad roster at all.

Raanta is a very good signing. He's a great goalie. Really been impressed with him this year and there certainly would have been teams after him in free agency.

Reactions: iSophagus

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
Good to see the Yotes signing him. He has been very steady for them this year.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Even with that it's not perfect for Raanta, leaves him in a bit of a tough spot for his next UFA(last likely) contract.
I'd argue it's a good term for Raanta. He gets added security compared to a 1 or 2 year deal, while still being young enough to get another long-ish term deal as long as he performs. Would be much tougher at say 33-34.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Quite expected. #1 goalie positions are hard to come by and Raanta found one so he's not gonna gamble with another team.

Reactions: Mestaruus

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Islanders better get an offer sheet ready for Hellebuyck now that Raanta is gone.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
This is the steal with which you were unhappy with some time ago.
Its not a steal, its market value in term/dollars, like I had been saying all along, when you and others thought it would be way higher money and more term:)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'd argue it's a good term for Raanta. He gets added security compared to a 1 or 2 year deal, while still being young enough to get another long-ish term deal as long as he performs. Would be much tougher at say 33-34.

I was looking at 4-5 years. That money sets him& his children already pretty damm well.

Now he'll be 32y when he next hits UFA, tough age to get long term contract with that money.

Its not a steal, its market value in term/dollars, like I had been saying all along, when you and others thought it would be way higher money and more term:)

I never said how much he should exactly get, I disagreed with your idea of him getting a smaller cap hit than Darling. You don't get starters with 3M on longterm deals.

This is a steal, as I said unproven backups get this money& average starters are starting to be in the 6M range.

Reactions: Yandover

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Even with that it's not perfect for Raanta, leaves him in a bit of a tough spot for his next UFA(last likely) contract.

Goalies don’t regress the same way as skaters usually, if Raanta plays well the next few years i don’t think anyone is going to have any issue to sign him to a 6 yr deal. We have plenty of 36-38 yr old goalies as starting goalies.

So yeah i think it’s actually a smart deal for him. Make some money, see where the Coyotes go and showcase himself for that next deal. I think his lack of time spent as a starter (and rest of the league seeing what happened with Darling) i don’t think he would’ve got much more term right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad