Trade: [ARI/ATL] Desmond Ridder for Rondale Moore

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Surprised that ATL dumped a cheap option as a backup.

Ridder had everything lined up for him to become a starter as a day 3 pick. Returning to the same HC/OC, got a few starts in 2022 to get a glimpse of the speed of the NFL vs just pre-season. Had a good OL and have weapons. And was a 4 year starter in college with 50 starts. That's as good an opportunity a young QB can get.

Just didn't work out for him.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Cheap and with decent experience. Yeah he isn't that good but you could do worse with regard to backup

-- forgot about what coach said about him, yeah they couldn't keep him around after new coach threw him under bus for Falcons issues, even if he was the issue --

Last edited:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I love the trade, but I'm surprised the Falcons are sticking with a backup that has a $7 million cap hit.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
A straight up 1 for 1 trade? In the NFL? Holy shit.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Rumors are that they're going to restructure Heinicke's contract. Apparently, Cousins like veteran backups because he's a film junkie and wants to work together.
Based on what we know of Cousins, I think it's more likely he likes veteran backups cause they are no threat to him not being the starter. The working together thing is a nice bonus for him. Not that there's really anything wrong with that mentality per se, and maybe I'm wrong, but he definitely seems the type to resent a young QB drafted to replace him.

• Wow
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Based on what we know of Cousins, I think it's more likely he likes veteran backups cause they are no threat to him not being the starter. The working together thing is a nice bonus for him. Not that there's really anything wrong with that mentality per se, and maybe I'm wrong, but he definitely seems the type to resent a young QB drafted to replace him.
If Ridder was a threat, Cousins would not exist on the Falcons.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
It makes sense they’d choose Tay Heineken to be the back up because he’s better.

Ridder is a God-awful quarterback. The ONLY reason he started games is because the Falcons foolishly wasted a 3rd round pick on him and were desperately trying to push him to be the franchise.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
It makes sense they’d choose Tay Heineken to be the back up because he’s better.

Ridder is a God-awful quarterback. The ONLY reason he started games is because the Falcons foolishly wasted a 3rd round pick on him and were desperately trying to push him to be the franchise.
Good post..
I'd submit Heinicke is significantly better than Ridder, and has more interesting potential than Ridder.
With Heinicke in Atlanta, I'll mention that Heinicke was one of the best passers in Georgia high school football history. This reality seems always omitted from the patronizing media narrative on Heinicke. He shouldn't have been treated like a scrappy, Vince Papale story. Heinicke was a great high school player, & had one of the greatest single college games at ODU (730 passing yards).. he was a winning starter on a mediocre Washington team. But is still largely viewed as a scrappy backup at best (?) I wish both Ridder & Heinicke luck moving forward, but do think Heinicke is the better QB, and he's been undervalued.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad