Confirmed Buy-Out [ARI] Antoine Vermette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 6, 2016
I'd rather get McCarron 1st line mins in the A then 3rd line mins in the NHL at this point, he won't have wingers & I don't want MT to use him as a grinder.

Sorry but McCarron will be a third line centre at best at NHL level. He doesn't have the skating nor the stickhandling abilities to play on the top-six.

But he is already very good at face offs and can dominate opponents physically.

Yes. He could and he should play in Montreal real soon on the bottom-six where he belongs.

Habsfan2731

Jan 2, 2014
Toronto
Sorry but McCarron will be a third line centre at best at NHL level. He doesn't have the skating nor the stickhandling abilities to play on the top-six.

But he is already very good at face offs and can dominate opponents physically.

Yes. He could and he should play in Montreal real soon on the bottom-six where he belongs.

His skating is good, he has a good long stride. His conditioning was miles better at the end of the year & development camp through drills than at the beginning of the season.

I didn't know he plateaued already. Thanks for that.

His stick handling is fine as well.

He shouldn't be in the NHL next season unless he completely steals the 3C role behind Plekanec.

It's beyond useless to have him on the 4th line like last season with a plug like Mike Brown.

Leave him in the AHL on the 1st line centring Martin Reway & Nikita Scherbak. He's got incredibly soft hands for someone that big, especially in close to the net. Canadiens management overlooked Charles Hudon in the AHL & he's beyond ready, they shouldn't do the opposite and rush a clearly not ready Mike McCarron.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It isn't as easy as someone just taking Vermette at half retained. A team has to be interested in Vermette at nearly 2M and has to be able to take him without dumping salary back. However much he signs for will be telling, but if we see him sign for closer to 1M, that probably indicates that nobody was able and/or willing to accommodate a demand that they take Vermette at 2M without sending cash back.

Coyotes only really save a very small amount of real money with this buyout. A huge chunk of the 1.25M is eaten up by a replacement player that will cost 600k-900k. Still, if Vermette is considered a negative at this point on their team or at best is considered a wash compared to his replacement player, why would a team in the Coyotes position pay 500k more to keep him?

It also could have been motivated by a need to create budget space in the short term if it is true that the Coyotes have an internal budget they are expected to meet. Instead of spending 3.75M this year, ARZ now spends well under 2M (buyout cost+replacement player salary). They slashed nearly 2M off their budget this season. Yes, they defer some of that money to next season, but looking at their cap situation they possibly have a combination of Doan/Hanzel/Stone/Michalek coming off the books where as they might have desperately needed to find budget space in the short term, and getting rid of Vermette was an easy pill for them to swallow to accomplish that.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Actually not much to do with cash or the cap. They are a better team without him in the line up.

He took way more penalties than caused. He was a liability. He really only produced at the end of the year when Tanguay was acquired. His one saving grace was face-offs...

They will allow Dvorak, Dauphin or Strome to make the team .if they don't they will look at other possibilities either in Europe, PTO, trade or FA etc..

At least that's the rumours..

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Would be interested in Vermette on the Blackhawks for 1 million or less.

Doubt theyre one of the 5 tho, given all the rumors that Q and Vermy didnt get along.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Anyone else find it a bit weird he'll sign by the day vesey becomes a UFA?

Vesey cant become a UFA until August 16th. He said he will talk to 5-6 teams so he likely doesnt sign for a week.

Short Summary:

For Arizona(specifically), Antoine Vermette has turned into an undisciplined player that takes too many penalties, turns the puck over too much, won't contribute meaningfully to either specialty team and is likely a 20ish point forward next season. The team sees him as a net negative that does more harm than good on the ice. They'd have liked to dump him at 50% retention but nobody wanted him. So they had to buy him out at 67%.

For Arizona(specifically), Antoine Vermette has turned into an undisciplined player that takes too many penalties, turns the puck over too much, won't contribute meaningfully to either specialty team and is likely a 20ish point forward next season. The team sees him as a net negative that does more harm than good on the ice. They'd have liked to dump him at 50% retention but nobody wanted him. So they had to buy him out at 67%.

This is the strange part. If they want ed to buy him out why didnt they do that at the end of June when the window was open? why wait till August?

Arizoa isnt up against the cap so they werent stressed for cap space. If they didnt want him on their team they could have sent him to the AHL

retaining him at 50% and getting a salary back...many teams could have afforded that.

They could have also kept him in the press box and wait till mid season then retain 50% on him and get something for him.

iT seems odd to me they wanted to eat salary on next years cap in buying him out.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Vesey cant become a UFA until August 16th. He said he will talk to 5-6 teams so he likely doesnt sign for a week.

This is the strange part. If they want ed to buy him out why didnt they do that at the end of June when the window was open? why wait till August?

Arizoa isnt up against the cap so they werent stressed for cap space. If they didnt want him on their team they could have sent him to the AHL

retaining him at 50% and getting a salary back...many teams could have afforded that.

They could have also kept him in the press box and wait till mid season then retain 50% on him and get something for him.

iT seems odd to me they wanted to eat salary on next years cap in buying him out.

Send him to the AHL? Are you struggling with the difference between 100% and 67% or something? He didn't have a two-way contract.

This is a second buy-out window. Perhaps in June they thought they might convince a team to take him at 50% and that fell through by August, necessitating a two thirds buyout.

Retain 50% and take salary back? Again, I have to ask. Are you struggling with what 67% of 3.75 looks like? Two thirds of 3.75 is 2.5. If they retained 50% that would've been 1.875. That's a difference of 0.625. That means if the contract we have to take back is a penny over $625,000, it's more expensive than buying him out.

Do you really think it's likely that no teams wanted him at 1.875 but would've stepped up if we took on a 600kay contract? Even if there were one team willing, we lose the benefit of stretching the payment out over two seasons. It's not as though there's an interest rate. If you can hang onto the capital now, and pay over time, you do that. It's common sense.

Honestly, it's all common sense. There is no "strange part". It's obvious that management and coaching felt Vermette was a net negative that hurt the team more than he helped. The numbers support that. They wanted him off the team as a result. Obviously. So they removed him in the cheapest possible way; a two-thirds buyout. If there was a cheaper way (either in terms of real cash or assets) they'd have taken it. Obviously there wasn't a cheapest way.

The only strange thing about this is how much people are struggling with it. They didn't want him on the team. The cheapest way they could find to remove him was to buy him out. It doesn't get much more simple.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Anyone want to role play?

You be the Coyotes and I'll be the other 29 teams. Your mission is to remove Vermette for less than 67% without surrendering assets.

Let's see how quickly this goes.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Send him to the AHL? Are you struggling with the difference between 100% and 67% or something? He didn't have a two-way contract.

This is a second buy-out window. Perhaps in June they thought they might convince a team to take him at 50% and that fell through by August, necessitating a two thirds buyout.

Retain 50% and take salary back? Again, I have to ask. Are you struggling with what 67% of 3.75 looks like? Two thirds of 3.75 is 2.5. If they retained 50% that would've been 1.875. That's a difference of 0.625. That means if the contract we have to take back is a penny over $625,000, it's more expensive than buying him out.

Do you really think it's likely that no teams wanted him at 1.875 but would've stepped up if we took on a 600kay contract? Even if there were one team willing, we lose the benefit of stretching the payment out over two seasons. It's not as though there's an interest rate. If you can hang onto the capital now, and pay over time, you do that. It's common sense.

Honestly, it's all common sense. There is no "strange part". It's obvious that management and coaching felt Vermette was a net negative that hurt the team more than he helped. The numbers support that. They wanted him off the team as a result. Obviously. So they removed him in the cheapest possible way; a two-thirds buyout. If there was a cheaper way (either in terms of real cash or assets) they'd have taken it. Obviously there wasn't a cheapest way.

The only strange thing about this is how much people are struggling with it. They didn't want him on the team. The cheapest way they could find to remove him was to buy him out. It doesn't get much more simple.

It doesn't, but this is the HF boards you are talking about.:laugh:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The place where hundreds of posts were made insisting Detroit would have to pay a huge price to move Datsyuk even though that didn't make logical sense.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I wonder who the 5 teams are that have an offer for Antoine Vermette

If I'd have to take a guess on who the 5 teams are, I'd say either Chicago, Boston, Edmonton, Anaheim or Columbus

I hope you're right about Edmonton, I think we could use what he brings, but I imagine he'll either look for a spot on a contender, or somewhere where he might end up as a top six center (not sure who qualifies there)

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I hope you're right about Edmonton, I think we could use what he brings, but I imagine he'll either look for a spot on a contender, or somewhere where he might end up as a top six center (not sure who qualifies there)

I believe Vermette would be a good fit in Edmonton as the 3rd line centre.
Edmonton is already stacked at the centre position, so Draisaitl would have to move to RW.

Edmonton's offense with Vermette in the line up.

LW Lucic C McDavid RW Eberle
LW Yakupov C Nugent-Hopkins RW Draisaitl
LW Pouliot C Vermette RW Puljujärvi
LW Maroon C Letestu RW Kassian
Extra's
RW Pakarinen
LW Hendricks
LW-C Lander < trade or send to Bakersfield AHL if he passes through waivers.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Some guy on Twitter said it.

Ah yes, the most infallible of sources.

"... and that's why I'm calling Vermette to the Ducks to be Some Guy On Twitter's 'Lock of the Week'!"

K1S46Qa.png

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
I believe Vermette would be a good fit in Edmonton as the 3rd line centre.
Edmonton is already stacked at the centre position, so Draisaitl would have to move to RW.

Edmonton's offense with Vermette in the line up.

LW Lucic C McDavid RW Eberle
LW Yakupov C Nugent-Hopkins RW Draisaitl
LW Pouliot C Vermette RW Puljujärvi
LW Maroon C Letestu RW Kassian
Extra's
RW Pakarinen
LW Hendricks
LW-C Lander < trade or send to Bakersfield AHL if he passes through waivers.

OT: is your avatar the habsburg double eagle?

mytduxfan*

Relax folks. I only said that because I saw the tweet through Reddit and explained that he's probably not just pulling it out of his ass.

I'm not saying I believe it.

Probably ********. The kid has a bunch of nice pics with MTL players/prospects, but his obsession with Eugenie Bouchard is creep and unprofessional and the consistency with which he posts announcements after they've already been reported in main stream media leads me to believe that this one is a dud. Would be sweet if it happened though.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Probably ********. The kid has a bunch of nice pics with MTL players/prospects, but his obsession with Eugenie Bouchard is creep and unprofessional and the consistency with which he posts announcements after they've already been reported in main stream media leads me to believe that this one is a dud. Would be sweet if it happened though.

The Ducks have confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad