Arena Naming Rights Deals

trojanyeoman

Sep 10, 2021
London, ON
Often the terms of arena naming rights deals are not revealed to the public, which is fine. But I am curious about the timing of deal/extension announcements as this is the final year (I believe) of the current deal for the arena name in London. I realize this isn’t hockey-related, but it is more of a curiosity. If anyone has any info or recollection about the timing of these announcements in different OHL communities I would be curious to hear about it.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Often the terms of arena naming rights deals are not revealed to the public, which is fine. But I am curious about the timing of deal/extension announcements as this is the final year (I believe) of the current deal for the arena name in London. I realize this isn’t hockey-related, but it is more of a curiosity. If anyone has any info or recollection about the timing of these announcements in different OHL communities I would be curious to hear about it.

It's fairly straightforward a deal is set in place for sponsorship with a company or corporate service and a set length of time for said naming rights is met usually with some logo changes on buildings.

There are maybe only a few cities in the OHL who haven't changed names.

Sudbury, Owen Sound, Niagara, North Bay and Guelph, Saginaw are the only ones I believe that haven't changed names of buildings. All the rest have a few times over the years.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Tribute Communities Centre in Oshawa just got extended by 5 years (started Nov 1, 2016) and now is up to 2031. The 5 year add on was for $1.25 million dollars. The original 10 year deal was for 2.5 million, so the extension came at the exact same rate

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
In the Soo, a 10 year deal was announced with a new corporate partner GFL Environmental Inc (GFL Memorial Gardens) in May 2018. $750,000 was the deal. The City wanted to include Memorial in the name, which is partly why the amount was less than prior amounts.

This was much less than the previous 10 year deal of $1.5 mil signed in 2008 by Essar Steel (The Essar Centre). Although Essar steel paid the full amount up front, they apparently were in arrears for taxes due to the city leading up to the most recent deal with GFL. Although it was for far less money, I suspect the city went with the most stable company.

That deal was signed just 2 years after the city signed another 10 year deal in 2006 for $1.35 mil to Steelback Brewery (Steelback Centre) after they went out of business.

tech7817

Sep 29, 2019
It's fairly straightforward a deal is set in place for sponsorship with a company or corporate service and a set length of time for said naming rights is met usually with some logo changes on buildings.

Sudbury, Owen Sound, Niagara, North Bay and Guelph, Saginaw are the only ones I believe that haven't changed names of buildings. All the rest have a few times over the years.

Everyone forgets about the Petes. Peterborough Memorial Center for a few years now...65, going on 66?

Reactions: AttackSound

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It begs the question why every city wouldn't do this. It's free money essentially.

Are you really that attached to 'Memorial Gardens'?

Reactions: sbpointer and Otto

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
I was never impressed with the re-naming of The John Labatt Centre to Budweiser Gardens. John Labatt was a London citizen , and was a part of London's history. Budweiser is simply a rebranding effort to promote a specific label. When the current agreement expires, and they again change the name, Google maps will have to be revised, and out-of-town fans relying on electronic devices for directions, might get recalculated and their app won't recognize the new name.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

The Peterborough Petes play out of the Peterborough Memorial Centre and the name has not changed in the 65 years since it was built.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Progressive Auto Sales signed a 10 year contract with the Sting back in 2016, meaning they have 5 years left on the deal. (including this year)

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Erie Insurance agreed to a 10 year/$3 million deal with the naming of Erie Insurance Arena, which the Otters are main lease holders of. That deal was made in 2012 and started for the 2013-2014 season. Not sure about a new deal or restructure but they would be due for an update within the next 2 years

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Lest we forget what the memorial in these arenas and the memorial cup stand for.
Is that what it's for? Not much linking the building to our vets here. Can't say that I've ever put the two together in all honesty.

From a financial standpoint it's just smart business to find outside sponsorship.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
I'd never object to naming a sewage treatment plant after a politician ( take your pick ) They both have something in common !

moose311

Dec 30, 2015
I was never impressed with the re-naming of The John Labatt Centre to Budweiser Gardens. John Labatt was a London citizen , and was a part of London's history. Budweiser is simply a rebranding effort to promote a specific label. When the current agreement expires, and they again change the name, Google maps will have to be revised, and out-of-town fans relying on electronic devices for directions, might get recalculated and their app won't recognize the new name.

Google and other electronic devices won't have any problems. I just did a Google search for "John Labatt Centre" and all the results were for Budweiser Gardens.

Reactions: sbpointer and Otto

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Lansdowne Park and Frank Clair stadium (Ottawa) were renamed to TD Place….sort of. TD Place is the Football Stadiuma HD Hockey Arena only.

That deal was for 10 years and I know it was over $1mil per year but I think it was close to $1.25mil per year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad