Areas Of Concern

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Ok I made this post to talk about the areas of concern this season so far.
1. PK.. Cant let guys screen hiller all day long and not do anything about it.
2. Need to get 2nd line going ( Especially Bobby) Not sure if Bonino is the right fit between those two.. Time will tell.
3. Need the keep the gap between forward and defense close.. Or else we breakaways will keep happening with long breakout passes.. our defense is not mobile past fowler and sbisa. Souray needs to step up more..
4. Allen and Souray were brought in to clear the crease.. It isn't happening. It needs to happen!! Hiller cant stop deflected shots two feet from him. ( We saw what happened in calgary)
5. They simply need to step up on defense as a team.. We cant play like this against high powered teams.. Teams with great defense will smother them.
I know its only been two games but its a short season. Times a factor.. And I know we are 2-0 but we cant keep winning playing the way did yesterday and givingup 3-0 lead is unacceptable.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I agree with your points. I'm hoping that Niedermayer has some ideas to solve few of these problems (defence related problems). Defenders should be encouraged to clear the crease, there is enough capable talent to do it.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
Good thing is that these points everyone agrees with and is pretty easy to tell. BB said Holland will get his chance, maybe Bonino will sit and they'll try him there instead of the 4th and we keep rakell. The defense absolutely sucks, but what they suck at is fixable and they have until friday to do that and Scotty will be with them then.

2nd/4th lines need to clean up on defense, every time they were out there I was scared. Especially the 2nd line.

Daniel Winnik sucks...trade him now! :sarcasm:

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Area that I was concerned about going into the season (and still am) is transition from the defense. Fowler is solid but aside from him, it's going to be an issue IMO. Souray made some great passes against Vancover but last night he struggled there as well. Sbisa is struggling so maybe he will pick it up. However aside from Fowler, I'm really worried about that area. Love the Beauchemin and Lydman pair but its been pretty much dump it along the boards to get it out of the zone.

I know many don't agree but I really do believe that part of Murray wants to make room for Vatanen. The problem is who do you move? Lydman would be common choice but he looks great so far.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
Area of Concern

Too many people on this board think changes need to be made with the team. Let them find their chemistry, I am sure BB will find out the best combo for the second line and remember, the defense ALL have new partners this year, and have had one week to practice.

Lets be grateful we are 2-0 with having some of these issues.

Oh I forgot, the Penalty kill sucks.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
1. PK.. Cant let guys screen hiller all day long and not do anything about it.

That's one thing that's being constantly mentioned, but I'm not sure it's really reasonable. These things worked differently 10 years ago. These days, clearing the crease doesn't work the same way - defenseman are going to get called for interference. About every team in the league struggles with this these days. You have to try hard, but I am not really sure we're really considerably worse at it than other teams. It's just tough to handle. When there's little to be done about that effectively, you obviously have to do a better job of not allowing time for controlled shots. I think we tend to get dragged out of positions too easily and allow shooters in the center of the blue line or even in the high slot areas too much space and time to take shots and pick corners around the screens. The screens themselves, IMO, are a lot harder to deny than that space/time for the shooter, and the clear lane on the first meters.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I know many don't agree but I really do believe that part of Murray wants to make room for Vatanen. The problem is who do you move? Lydman would be common choice but he looks great so far.

Yeah, it's pretty hard to choose, which of the d-men makes room for him. Lydman has been good, Fowler isn't going anywhere, Souray has been the best one there, Beauchemin is rusty but should improve pretty soon, Allen is a bit rusty too... That leaves Sbisa, however I don't think that Vatanen is going to take his place, and Sbisa has some puck moving skills so he just needs to find his offensive game again.

At this point I would rather let Vatanen play in AHL until and if injuries happen so it will be an easier decision.

RPGrizzly

Jan 5, 2006
2 games in? Nothing.

Sure the defense has sucked, but it's not really something to be concerned about. People wonder why Lydman-Beauchemin has been the best pairing so far, it's because they've been on Ducks for the past two seasons, playing in front of Hiller. The other two pairings are completely new, and I might be concerned if the two new faces we brought in there weren't experienced veterans. Souray and Allen know what it takes to be successful and their two respective pairings will settle in. They're not only learning the tendencies of their partners but also how to defend in front of their new goalie.

On top of all that, they're forced to adjust to the way the NHL is cracking down on obstruction and all kinds of stick fouls in the defensive zone. They look to be playing very cautious and for physical defenders like Allen and Souray it's difficult but they'll adjust, sooner rather than later I suppose, you don't play 600+ games in the NHL without making tons of adjustments.

These two games were essentially preseason games for everybody and to walk away from them with four points is fantastic. It gives the team a ton of confidence coming home which will only make the transitions easier. There is absolutely nothing to be concerned about after two games. After another ten, maybe you can find some concerns but at this point, you'd have to be forcing yourself to find concerns that will more than likely prove to be fictitious in the long run.

As for the forwards, I'll only say that competition for spots shows a healthy makeup of a hockey team. It's something to be proud of. Leading the league in goals isn't too bad either.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
penalty kill is bad... 4 of our 7 goals against were power play goals.

Also saw a few instances where our defense gave up breakaway passes(Long break out passes).... which leads me to believe our forcheck hasnt been strong enough yet which could just be rust, and i think we need to tighten up in the neutral zone, fill passing lanes.

2nd line has been non existent, luckily our 3rd line has been playing like a 1st line. I dont really know how to fix that(holland/rakell maybe) without messing with the 1st and 3rd lines who have looked amazing so far. i think its more that selanne and ryan just lack chemistry.

I cant really see vatanan taking someones spot unless we have an injury.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Come Saturday (or hopefully Friday), I see us having a much better TEAM.

I think Friday they may have a bit of the jitters or something due to it being the first home game and maybe a bit TOO relaxed but come Saturday, I expect a great performance.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
From what I've seen from the first 2 games, I feel some of the defensive issues are gelling issues IMO. I feel it will improve over the coming games. Again, a cause of the loss of pre-season.

SoCalHockey

Jun 11, 2010
The defense has been scrambly at best in the defensive zone. I attribute this more to lack of training camp and the new pairings needing familiarity. That second period last night was a flash from the past couple years where the goal wasn't to create a clean transition but to just get the puck the hell out of the zone lol. Our sample size is still small and we've yet to see how we do when we dictate match-ups on home ice. I remain optimistic despite there being plenty of work to be done.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
2 games in? Nothing.

Sure the defense has sucked, but it's not really something to be concerned about. People wonder why Lydman-Beauchemin has been the best pairing so far, it's because they've been on Ducks for the past two seasons, playing in front of Hiller. The other two pairings are completely new, and I might be concerned if the two new faces we brought in there weren't experienced veterans. Souray and Allen know what it takes to be successful and their two respective pairings will settle in. They're not only learning the tendencies of their partners but also how to defend in front of their new goalie.

On top of all that, they're forced to adjust to the way the NHL is cracking down on obstruction and all kinds of stick fouls in the defensive zone. They look to be playing very cautious and for physical defenders like Allen and Souray it's difficult but they'll adjust, sooner rather than later I suppose, you don't play 600+ games in the NHL without making tons of adjustments.

These two games were essentially preseason games for everybody and to walk away from them with four points is fantastic. It gives the team a ton of confidence coming home which will only make the transitions easier. There is absolutely nothing to be concerned about after two games. After another ten, maybe you can find some concerns but at this point, you'd have to be forcing yourself to find concerns that will more than likely prove to be fictitious in the long run.

As for the forwards, I'll only say that competition for spots shows a healthy makeup of a hockey team. It's something to be proud of. Leading the league in goals isn't too bad either.

This is spot on. There's too much worrying too soon going on.

But I'll also add, the issues so far with the D is on D. Sami isn't going to fix that so I see no reason why he would be worked into the lineup.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
This is spot on. There's too much worrying too soon going on.

But I'll also add, the issues so far with the D is on D. Sami isn't going to fix that so I see no reason why he would be worked into the lineup.

People are worried because we went 4-1 last year then our head coach was fired later on because we played so bad. Our current head coach went 7-0 to start out the season, yet he was fired later on. I don't think it is possible to worry too soon.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
Defense- new pairings need more synergy and time.

Pk- needs to work on cleaner zone clearing.

Overall, theres been some missed coverage... some gaps between defenders and the opposing forwards getting too much space in front of hiller.

As for Bobby Ryan, i am willing to be patient with that line. Its 2 games.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
People are worried because we went 4-1 last year then our head coach was fired later on because we played so bad. Our current head coach went 7-0 to start out the season, yet he was fired later on. I don't think it is possible to worry too soon.

Using that logic you will never be happy with any lineup and be second guessing the coaches every shift every game. What's the point, just to argue with the coachs every game?

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
Using that logic you will never be happy with any lineup and be second guessing the coaches every shift every game. What's the point, just to argue with the coachs every game?

I'm just saying that with how last year turned out, it is good to critique the team. We know what is wrong, we'll give the D some time to gel and Bonino a couple more chances. But with the shortened season the coaching staff really needs to be on top of everything.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I'm just saying that with how last year turned out, it is good to critique the team. We know what is wrong, we'll give the D some time to gel and Bonino a couple more chances. But with the shortened season the coaching staff really needs to be on top of everything.

OK, I'm fine with that. But that's not quite the way you first put it. ;)

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
2nd line needs some time together and luckily 1st and 3rd line are doing great so far and I feel like the 1st line is just getting started. Also, I'm expecting the 4th line to start scoring this weekend. So 2nd line has time to make it work.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
No point over-scrutinizing just yet. We barely have enough data for a trend here. The only things I'm confident saying are that Getzlaf looks more effective than he did last year (I won't say he's working harder, because IMO he was working hard last year), Lydman seems much stronger and more aggressive than he was before, and Palmieri does not look out of place.

Everything else feels like it's too much in flux to nail down just yet.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I think Getz looks like he's hustling but I almost think he looks like he's moving quicker and positioned better than last year. I doubt that he's lost any weight but just seems quicker than before. Or maybe it's just being in the right place more often?

Corey Perry*

I think Getz looks like he's hustling but I almost think he looks like he's moving quicker and positioned better than last year. I doubt that he's lost any weight but just seems quicker than before. Or maybe it's just being in the right place more often?

For one thing, he's gliding a lot less than he has been in previous seasons. I have no idea why he's all of a sudden skating harder, but it's nice to see.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Getzlaf is definitely skating harder/faster than he has in the past. Last night I saw him do something I've never seen him do before...He backchecked like his life depended on it at the END OF A SHIFT. I was thrilled to see the captain step up like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad